Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Fuel Price Protest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What’s the problem with a government collecting taxes to provide public services and support those in need? It could be 20% like everything else afterall. If you were crying about the VAT on electricity at public charge points I’d be with you.

..[edit]Just read your closing remarks.;)

It's the 20% VAT, payable on the 58p fuel duty, from your post tax income, that does it for me..... Triple taxation.

No issue at all with companies who have invested and risked shareholder capital, making profits, and paying them out as dividends into people's pension pots...
53p since the cut. Taxation is not the reason that prices are high now, it's far lower as an overall percentage than in the past (as the fuel duty element is fixed). Over 80% of the price increase is going to the oil companies.

It's the 20% VAT, payable on the 58p fuel duty, from your post tax income, that does it for me..... Triple taxation.

No issue at all with companies who have invested and risked shareholder capital, making profits, and paying them out as dividends into people's pension pots...
Well VAT is always on top of your post income tax income so that is nothing unusual but you are right that the VAT on top of fuel duty is total liberty.
I mean there is no VAT on VED or Insurance premium tax etc so why is VALUE ADDED TAX payable on Fuel duty. Makes no sense beyond £££.

Well VAT is always on top of your post income tax income so that is nothing unusual but you are right that the VAT on top of fuel duty is total liberty.
I mean there is no VAT on VED or Insurance premium tax etc so why is VALUE ADDED TAX payable on Fuel duty. Makes no sense beyond £££.
Would people be happier if fuel duty was 64p and VAT free ? It's a fixed amount however it's calculated.

Anyone for a fuel-duty escalator?

Suspended/replaced from 2000-2011, depending on point of view.

Imagine if this was still in place! 3-6% ahead of inflation, backdated.

According to FairFuelUK - it would be around 40p/litre higher than now (unclear how old this statement is).

Wiki:
the Conservatives under John Major introduced a 'Fuel Price Escalator' in March 1993 set initially at 3% ahead of inflation per year, increased to 5% later in the same year, and then increased again to 6% in 1997 by the Blair ministry after Labour won power.[1]

The last rise due to the escalator took place following the budget on 9 March 1999 at a time of rapidly increasing oil prices.[1] In 2000 at a time of rising protests at the cost of fuel Gordon Brown announced that the prices would only be increased by inflation due to the high price of oil

Anyone fancy joining a go slow next week to protest the increase in Octopus Go for 5p to 7.5p /KWH and the outrageous 10% VAT added by the thieving chancellor? We just need to find a Motorway where AutoPilot picks up parallel 30mph road.

OK, maybe not, lol.

You are using English words, but the way you have assembled them is a mystery.
Must be a brit thing. Happy 4th, independent for 246 years! 🇺🇸

:)

Anyone fancy joining a go slow next week to protest the increase in Octopus Go for 5p to 7.5p /KWH and the outrageous 10% VAT added by the thieving chancellor? We just need to find a Motorway where AutoPilot picks up parallel 30mph road.

OK, maybe not, lol.
NO! Octopus have been very far and their rates are competitive and their customer support is excellent.

Octopus are a good company to deal with.

You are using English words, but the way you have assembled them is a mystery.
Must be a brit thing. Happy 4th, independent for 246 years! 🇺🇸

:)
4AD58DD8-4F2C-407D-90D1-6AC2CF30F123.jpeg

:p

(btw, this is a joke. Please don’t report me….)