Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Fuel Price Protest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are using English words, but the way you have assembled them is a mystery.
Must be a brit thing. Happy 4th, independent for 246 years! šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡ø

:)
Some people use letters assembled in a way that look a bit like English words but are a mystery.

(In my defense we are close neighbors but we donā€™t always share the same humor so I apologize if this causes offense)

We ring, they call
Their Petrol's Gas

Their Fries our Chips
but Chips are Crisps

Our Biscuits, Cookies
their Garbage, Trash

A Bathroom for a pee
& our Zed, their Zee

Trousers might be Pants
and Queues, A Line

...but Autumn's not Fall
now they've lost us all

& I think I should now movie along :oops:

Last edited:
If our exchange rate was back towards $1.50 instead of $1.20 then fuel would be way cheaper. But that's down to absurd governmental profligacy - covid waste, hs2, top-heavy bureaucracy and the nonsense of a consumer driven society depending on importing unnecessary crap for people to buy, waste and throw away. I recall these boom-bust cycles for my full 55 adult years and nothing much has changed apart from the switch to trying to deal with them by dropping interest rates instead of raising them. the flaw in dropping them is that itā€™s difficult to go to negative figures.

"I'm so angry about fuel prices, I'm going to chop off my right arm in protest. That'll larn 'em!"

Which is what these protestors did, in effect. Wasting the very fuel money they are protesting about, rolling along a motorway at a highly inefficient speed.

You couldn't make it up.... muppets.

Anyone fancy joining a go slow next week to protest the increase in Octopus Go for 5p to 7.5p /KWH and the outrageous 10% VAT added by the thieving chancellor? We just need to find a Motorway where AutoPilot picks up parallel 30mph road.

OK, maybe not, lol.

I am paying 29.57p per KWh . . . . where do you get 7.5p per KWh

Says the guy on the consumer forum for a brand of imported luxury car......:)
..try finding a car built totally in britain that hasn't had engine parts shuttled around 2 or 3 other countries from casting to machining to assembly...
What i don't do is chuck stuff away every year or two to have the most modern, buy out of season fruits and veggies that have to be airlifted or wear the latest fashions etc. Nor do i frequest foreign franchise coffee and takeways places or subscribe to their streaming services... But reality is ya can't avoid it all.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
octopus go night rate

edit
the day rate now is up to 40p per kw though (gulp) so its becoming swings and roundabouts at this point!
At this rate, dual tariffs/night rates will be a trap for the unweary. I suspect in the near future lots of new EV buyers will get stung with 'EV' tariffs that purport to save them money but cost them more because of the day rate, until legislation catches up and forces suppliers to check / disclose the potential pitfalls.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
At this rate, dual tariffs/night rates will be a trap for the unweary. I suspect in the near future lots of new EV buyers will get stung with 'EV' tariffs that purport to save them money but cost them more because of the day rate, until legislation catches up and forces suppliers to check / disclose the potential pitfalls.
My 3 hours night rate accounts for 40-50% of my electricity usage so even 40/7.5 would work out better for me than price cap but I agree. Octopus Day rate back in the day was almost as good as most single price tariffs so it was a no brainer. now a bit of calculation is needed + the willingness to run your dishwasher, washing machine, tumble drier etc overnight ( you know like the fire brigade tell you not to)

I'm on Octopus Go... 7.5p / 30p / 25p Standing Charge until March 2023

The trick for me is 3 Phase... I can download a lot of cheap power in 4 hours to home and cars.

Even though two Powerwalls (27kWh) is only half my daily Home Use quota (during deep Winter), I can at least offset some of this inevitable 'peak rate' useage cost against cheap Car Charging.

So... I can live with that.

... just to add... by October, even my 30p 'peak rate' might look cheap... !!
yeah, this is the thing. Octopus Go is a fixed rate deal so given the rising prices over the year is going to be higher than the variable rate, so while variable rate folks may smart at the daytime pricing now, they likely won't after October.
I don't really see that being the case, at least with Octopus.

I think more of the question is how long will Octopus be able to keep providing Go, wholesale prices don't seem to be match their discount period, sometimes not at all. I can see why Intelligent Octopus is a thing, and the new response based charging will no doubt become the primary method for EVs to receive discount in the future.