TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

EV Home Charger Advice

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by Aye_Watt, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Aye_Watt

Aye_Watt Member

Hello all,

I've just joined the forum. Been lurking for a while as I await my SR+ due Feb '20.

I'm having issues getting some quotes for an EV charger to be installed at home. I've contacted a number of installers on the approved list but have had a poor response. Out of 10 installers, I've had 4 responses and 1 site visit.

Is this typical? I've assumed with the increasing number of M3's, these guys are now flat out. I'm nervous having an EV with no fast charging at home.

Can anyone offer advice or recommend an installer?

Thanks,
    AW

2. vitesse

vitesse Active Member

My installer didn't need a site visit - they asked for photos of the meters and consumer unit and intended installation location, plus distances from the installation point to the consumer unit and to the car's parked position.

I had to use the UMC for 10A (13A socket) charging for a couple of weeks because the charge plug turned out to be faulty but it wasn't the end of the world. A 10 hour charge will probably give you 80-90 typical miles range?

3. Jason71

Jason71 Active Member

I emailed 3-4 from the list. one responded straight away and came out. His quote was reasonable based on what I have seen here so I got him to do it. 3 week lead time.
    Since the installers are mainly independent I'm not sure there is such thing as typical. just depends where you are.
    You can go via equipment manufacturers web sites instead but I think your first instinct was right. Maybe just follow up with some of them so they know you are serious.

4. elecTED

elecTED Member

Yep, I wouldn’t panic about getting a home wall charger (and truck loads of accessories) in advance of actually receiving the car. Get the car first, see how things work out and decide on the best wall charger that fits your use case.

Unless you will be doing longish daily commutes you will be fine with the UMC initially (the 3 pin plug cable that comes with the car). This will add 120 miles to the range over a 12 hour period.

3 months in and I’m still only using the 3 pin plug (ok I work from home so don’t have a daily commute). I think I will end up getting a home wall charger (mainly for the convenience), maybe a tethered Rolec for around £360 (installed, with OLEV grant) - assuming it will be a straightforward install.

5. vitesse

vitesse Active Member

One thing to consider is that you will only get 80% charge efficiency through the UMC compared to a 32A charge point at 90%. But perhaps the biggest consideration is how to connect to a 13A socket - you don't want a window or door open in the cold and the rain :D For me, fortunately, my ROLEC has a 13A socket which I opted for so I could conveniently plug in my power washer. If you are going to use an extension cable it needs to be up to the job; simply seeing a '13A' or 'heavy duty' label on the extension is not a guarantee it won't overheat. There are threads here on TMC that discuss this and have some good recommendations.

6. A_G_

A_G_ Member

I had my Anderson A2 unit installed today. They use a company called Mr Charger to install their units, Very good service form the company. they have about a 3 month wait time for delivery of the charging unit. They didn't need a site visit before installation, just pictures of the fuse board and electricity meter, Proposed cable route for the cables, charge unit location and confirmation of approx. cable route length and a photo of your off-street parking.

7. Aye_Watt

Aye_Watt Member

I'll follow up on initial enquiries and see if I can get anyone out to help me. Seems to be a broad range of units too. This is a whole new world to me:D. I should also have said I'm in the Glasgow area.

8. Roy W.

Roy W. Battery running low...

In that case as well as the £500 OLEV grant I believe in Scotland you also get another £300 contribution from the EST ;)

9. vitesse

vitesse Active Member

Does Scotland have their own EV charge point subsidy? The company that supplied and fitted my ROLEC handled all the paperwork for that and I only paid the bottom line price.

10. booyaka76

booyaka76 Member

The fitters claim the £500 OLEV grant, then you personally claim the additional £300 from EST once fitted,

So my Rolec was in theory £1000 job, fitters claimed £500, I paid them £500, then EST paid £300 into my account.

@Aye_Watt - I went via this link - https://www.grantfundedchargingpoints.co.uk/enquiry-form

They then put me in touch with Everwarm (Livingston way i think) who did the fitting.

• Helpful x 1
  11. Aye_Watt

Aye_Watt Member

Nice

12. MacPaul

MacPaul Member

You need to put your EST claim in BEFORE it’s installed:

“For this, we need you to complete a short application form and also send us a quote from your chosen supplier along with proof of purchase/lease of your EV in advance of the installation. Please note that we cannot offer you a grant if your installation has already been completed.“

Domestic charge point funding

13. Adopado

Adopado Active Member

...and be aware that it is quite some time after the installation has been completed and paid for before you actually get the £300 back so be prepared for that!