Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Hostility?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never noticed any hostility but then the images in my rearview mirror are too small to really tell.

one thing I've noticed that whenever I drove my previous car, a Prius and signaled to get into another Lane often cars would speed up to not let me in. Now with the Tesla cars often slow down and let me in probably because they just want to follow a cool looking car.

had a hillbilly in a pickup truck with a bunch of awful conservative hatemongering bumper stickers (and of course a confederate flag) give me the finger and try to run me off the road a couple months back. he was also motioning at me to pull over, i guess he wanted to fight me?? haha what a neanderthal.

i was able to put him about a mile in my rear view in no time. i was speeding like crazy, but i felt like it was the most reliable way to get away from him.

Inbreeding. Ya sure hate to see it.

I'm sure you can. Generally speaking, there's enough people in the world that you can likely find somebody that believes absolutely anything.

At any rate, point being: my statement was largely informed by pro-Republican, pro-Trump media. And, honestly, a lot of that makes sense. The overall Republican stance on climate change(I guess I have to point out this applies to the party generally, not every single person who identifies as "Republican" individually) currently is that it is 1. not real, 2. not caused by man or 3. not harmful. And if you believe any one of those three, then the $7500 tax credit(plus $2,500 rebate in CA) for buying a car that doesn't produce CO2, is absurdly unfair, so some resentment would be called for. I know I'd get pissed off if, say, anybody who bought a $100k+ gas-powered sports car got a check from the government for $10k because, say, someone thought the increased acceleration caused the earth to rotate slightly faster, reducing warming.
Then there are others like me that feel that tax credits and federal rebate programs (subsidization of any kind) is corporatism and not capitalism/free-market. And oppose it for only that reason, even though we think EVs are cleaner and better for the environment. Musk has even said he would like to get rid of the tax credits... If we didn't have such heavy subsidization of the oil industry it's likely we would have had EVs in the world much sooner. But I digress.

Reactions: PrGrPa
I got "EV hostility" for my brake lights recently. Admittedly, I like to take off fast and then let regen slow me down. When I do that on a windy highway it looks like I'm riding the brakes even though I don't touch them at all. I recently had a souped up Camaro pull in front of me then flash his brakes a number of times, which was telling me about how much he thought I was riding the brakes. I said it my head "it's regen you ignorant ICE-head" but I really wish I could control regren from activating the brake lights so easily.
I've had this happen also... I try very hard not to let them flash unless I'm definitely going to be slowing down

I've had this happen also... I try very hard not to let them flash unless I'm definitely going to be slowing down

You need a bumper sticker that says, "I drive with one foot, it's the car screwing up".
Some EVs use the accelerometers from the SC to trigger the brake lights during regen. Low regen decel, no lights.

It is wildly irritating to follow people who drive with 2 feet especially when they limo tint their rear window.

• Funny
Reactions: Canuck
how do you stop the brake lights from illuminating whenever you take your foot off of the accelerator? after X amount of regen the brake lights will come on regardless of you wanting them to or not.
as for someone behind you getting ticked off you could either allow them to pass or let them piss off.

how do you stop the brake lights from illuminating whenever you take your foot off of the accelerator? after X amount of regen the brake lights will come on regardless of you wanting them to or not.
as for someone behind you getting ticked off you could either allow them to pass or let them piss off.
You can use the toy car on the dash to see. You can take your foot off a little bit and get some regen without the lights coming on. Roughly 1/5 or so won't cause the light to flash... you get the feel after a while and can ride that threshold to slow down a little bit with regen without flashing the lights...

We've been coal rolled twice. The first time was when we were in Utah, driving back from the Gigafactory grand opening in 2016. The second time was when we were in Nebraska, right after we sold my 20 year old CR-V and were driving back to Colorado.

Fortunately we haven't noticed any other hostility.

We've been coal rolled twice. The first time was when we were in Utah, driving back from the Gigafactory grand opening in 2016. The second time was when we were in Nebraska, right after we sold my 20 year old CR-V and were driving back to Colorado.

Fortunately we haven't noticed any other hostility.
Several have written about being coal rolled. Would it be advantageous to have a dash-cam to capture the event and then prosecute the SOB for any damage they may do? Does the coal roll stuff wash off or is there a more lasting problem with it?

Model 3 Owners Club has a dash-cam purchase event going on right now. http://www.thedashcamstore.com/model-3-owners-club/

Several have written about being coal rolled. Would it be advantageous to have a dash-cam to capture the event and then prosecute the SOB for any damage they may do? Does the coal roll stuff wash off or is there a more lasting problem with it?

Model 3 Owners Club has a dash-cam purchase event going on right now. Model 3 Owners Club Group Buy: Powered by The Dashcam Store
Fortunately in both instances, we were moving at highway speeds and none of the soot really accumulated on the car. If we'd been parked and my car had been covered with soot, I would've been more upset and probably contacted the authorities.

The yearly EV tax is low compared to the yearly property tax you pay on the car.
that's a non sequitur.
the ev tax fees are supposed to be in lieu of road use taxes, I haven't any clue about the property taxes collected on vehicles in VA and how they intended to be used.
In addition while I cannot speak about the rates charged to EVs in VA I do know that the fees imposed in GA are far higher than an ICE owner would pay in fuel taxes

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
You can use the toy car on the dash to see. You can take your foot off a little bit and get some regen without the lights coming on. Roughly 1/5 or so won't cause the light to flash... you get the feel after a while and can ride that threshold to slow down a little bit with regen without flashing the lights...

I've given up doing that -- it takes the fun out of driving.

Yes, those are the options and I don't like either. I don't want someone in front of me just because it looks like I'm riding the brakes. I will allow someone to pass who is driving faster than me, but that doesn't happen very often. Now I just try to put out of my mind my brake lights, until someone like that Camero driver reminds, but I do find myself watching them flash on the toy car in the dash, and thinking the person behind me must wonder why I'm hitting the brakes so much. It's annoying.

Model 3 Owners Club has...

Now that's funny. I thought there were only 30 Model 3s delivered to date so it must be one small club. Either that or it needs a name change to Model 3 Reservations Club.