Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Hostility?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I popped over to the Model S forum from the Model 3 forum to ask a question to all you Tesla owners. Other than being ICE'd at a charging station, have you experienced any hostility because you are driving an EV?

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

Most folks give me a thumbs up if they recognize the car. However, I have had at least two instances of folks presenting me with another digit over the course of the last year. I don't have any idea why, though I speculate that perhaps, since I am in oil country, that that may have something to do with it. As far as I know, I had not done anything else to irritate them. Two of the three times, it was a large pickup truck, but that may just be co-incidence.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva and PRSIST
I haven’t personally been “coal rolled” yet, mainly because the yahoos out here only seem to be able to visually pick out Prius cars for that treatment.

I have been cut off and given the finger once. Another time I was indirectly, verbally abused by an older woman who I can only assume has a husband or son laid off from the oil business around here. She wanted to make sure I knew that I wasn’t “special” and used colorful language to make her point. I assume she meant a special snowflake, which I most certainly am

I’m also in “oil country” and anyone against fracking or the ugly, destructive oil wells that mar our beautiful state is assumed by those who live outside of Denver, Fort Collins or Boulder to be a communist.

I won’t be surprised if we start seeing anti EV stickers on the diesel pickups out here soon, right next to the “Learn English or Go Home” and “Trump is my Homeboy” tags.

Disclosure: I don’t have an S. Just a LEAF.

Never about the car, but my custom plate means different things to different people.

NOMOGZ = No More Gas to the majority of people with more than 70 IQ.
NOMOGZ to a car load of crew cut girls in a Subaru = No More Gays - I got the bird, and followed them to a Starbucks to ask them why - and had some explaining to do...
NOMOGZ to a African American woman in her Sunday best prompted her to ask me this question - "Son, Do you have a problem with JESUS?"

Moral of the story, make sure you really think about the combinations!

I got a new tag and it's much clearer SOAMPED- my wife now gets the stupid questions with the old tag.. Don't recommend any tag that starts with NO (it creates a negative climate)

Never about the car, but my custom plate means different things to different people.

NOMOGZ = No More Gas to the majority of people with more than 70 IQ.
NOMOGZ to a car load of crew cut girls in a Subaru = No More Gays - I got the bird, and followed them to a Starbucks to ask them why - and had some explaining to do...
NOMOGZ to a African American woman in her Sunday best prompted her to ask me this question - "Son, Do you have a problem with JESUS?"

Moral of the story, make sure you really think about the combinations!

I got a new tag and it's much clearer SOAMPED- my wife now gets the stupid questions with the old tag.. Don't recommend any tag that starts with NO (it creates a negative climate)
I see the gays, perhaps, in the arcane world of trying to make something fit a plate. But never seen G-Z for Jesus. That's a new one.

Agree on the 'no' and definitely spell it out if it can be taking wrongly!

• Funny
Reactions: PRSIST
Lots of positive reactions in New England to my S 100D. One time a police officer acquaintance gave me a hard time because he thought I was making a political statement (I wasn't) when he found out I got a Tesla. But I just took that as a reflection of him. I certainly can't control what others think, but I can help make the world a better place and have a lot of fun driving a Tesla!

Reactions: PRSIST
I just got the Tesla, and I have only gotten positive attention.

I got plenty of negative attention in a Prius or on a bicycle.

The bicycle got the funniest responses. One day riding with a group, a guy tried to roll coal on us. He made three passes, and couldn't get the speed and wind right. After his third pass we were laughing so hard I was afraid one of us would fall off our bicycle. I guess limited understanding of physics, and a desire to roll coal, go hand in hand.

Apparently, these days people assume your political leanings based on many things, including the car you drive. This New York i3 owner (not me!) felt the need to put on a giant bumper sticker so that he/she is not confused for a liberal. It is sad that people feel the need to do this, but good to see all kinds of people driving electric cars...

i3.jpg