Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Incentives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you spend money to get a 240V outlet installed in your garage to use a mobile charger, does that count or do you need to buy a dedicated charger like the Tesla HPC?

Let me know if you find out. I am hoping that any electrical work that goes to charging an electric will be deductible. Not just the HPC charge unit (or the NEMA plug) alone.

To that point, does the purchase of a mobile charger accessory count as a deductible item in the home charging setup?

A couple of corrections and additional info. The cap is $2,000 (not 1,500); so you could spend $4k or more and get up to a $2k credit. This is a 50% federal tax credit, and it is subject to AMT (in other words if you owe AMT you could lose the benefit, partially or all of it). At the moment the credit expires at the end of this year (2010), but it *may* get extended, but would not count on that. The hardwired HPC itself most definitely counts, as would labor from a qualified electrician (properly documented), but I don't think you could charge labor for your own work (if you have those talents). I am less certain about the portable equipment; the EVSE itself *might* be eligible, but not sure. And even less certain is the installation of a receptacle, as it could "feed" other equipment and is not dedicated to EV. The equipment must be "placed in service" by 12/31/2010 (or whatever the extension of the credit might be). Other discussions about what "in service" means that I've perused lead to a variety of conclusions, but my personal opinion is, if it works by 12/31/10 it counts. Others say take a photo for documentation (as in ... you're expecting a LEAF in 2011, but want the EVSE credit in 2010; bring a friend (or dealer) over with their LEAF and charge it).

IRS form (with instructions): http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8911.pdf (Haven't found the 2010 form yet.)

Edit: for businesses the credit goes up to $50k ! But it gets complicated (Sec 179, depreciation, etc).

Last edited:
I wonder if buying the mobile charger separately (buy it a few weeks ahead of my car so it shows up by itself on a receipt instead of coming with the car) makes it easier to deduct. Maybe if I buy it by itself and have the electrician 'install' it for me at the same time he creates the 240V outlet, I can deduct the charger and the electrical work. I'd rather not get the permanent HPC to get a discount but I guess I could install that then when I move, take it with me? I'll try to find out.

... Others say take a photo for documentation (as in ... you're expecting a LEAF in 2011, but want the EVSE credit in 2010; bring a friend (or dealer) over with their LEAF and charge it).

IRS form (with instructions): http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8911.pdf (Haven't found the 2010 form yet.)
Are you saying we take before and after pictures of the charger site (wall)? How exactly do you submit something like that? And who at the IRS would know a NEMA from a FEMA?

Someone could put up a lunch box and they wouldn't know the difference.

Last edited:
Are you saying we take before and after pictures of the charger site (wall)? How exactly do you submit something like that? And who at the IRS would know a NEMA from a FEMA?

Someone could put up a lunch box and they wouldn't know the difference.
No ... "others" were saying that. And you don't send in anything besides the form ... just for backup if/when you get audited and they are "fishing" for proof.

A couple of corrections and additional info. The cap is $2,000 (not 1,500); so you could spend $4k or more and get up to a $2k credit. This is a 50% federal tax credit, and it is subject to AMT (in other words if you owe AMT you could lose the benefit, partially or all of it). At the moment the credit expires at the end of this year (2010), but it *may* get extended, but would not count on that. The hardwired HPC itself most definitely counts, as would labor from a qualified electrician (properly documented), but I don't think you could charge labor for your own work (if you have those talents). I am less certain about the portable equipment; the EVSE itself *might* be eligible, but not sure. And even less certain is the installation of a receptacle, as it could "feed" other equipment and is not dedicated to EV. The equipment must be "placed in service" by 12/31/2010 (or whatever the extension of the credit might be). Other discussions about what "in service" means that I've perused lead to a variety of conclusions, but my personal opinion is, if it works by 12/31/10 it counts. Others say take a photo for documentation (as in ... you're expecting a LEAF in 2011, but want the EVSE credit in 2010; bring a friend (or dealer) over with their LEAF and charge it).

Edit: for businesses the credit goes up to $50k ! But it gets complicated (Sec 179, depreciation, etc).

I was just about to make a thread to ask this question but it looks like this thread is the right place to ask it.

I'm planning on buying a Model S in 2012 or 2013 (depending on delivery rate, etc.), and it looks like this 50% Federal Charging Infrastructure Tax Credit is only good through this year. My question, if anyone happens to know the answer, is this:

Would I be eligible for this tax credit if I install a Tesla HPC in 2011, even if I won't actually be getting the car in 2011? I read through the IRS form that ChargeIt linked and it doesn't explicitly say that you have to have the car...

Thanks all!

Would I be eligible for this tax credit if I install a Tesla HPC in 2011, even if I won't actually be getting the car in 2011? I read through the IRS form that ChargeIt linked and it doesn't explicitly say that you have to have the car...

I would wait until it's announced what plug the Model S will use to charge. I hope it's not the Tesla connector the Roadster uses (same as Tesla HPC) and has the J1772 and maybe a DC fast charging plug as well. If you buy the Tesla HPC, it may not be compatible with the Model S without an adapter.

I appreciate the quick replies guys, and you're right: it's wisest to wait until Tesla details the charging system for Model S. It's too bad that may not happen in 2011 -- a 30% discount on charging infrastructure would be great!

You'll probably know by the end of 2011 what kind of charging plugs the Model S will accept.

I would do all of your electrical work that you need to do this year, ie, run the 240 lines to boxes as necessary with #6 copper wire (good to 75 amps) and stub it to the box, or install a NEMA 14-50 plug (good to 50 amps) this year and decuct the cost at 30%. I did! If you need to change the rest later at least you have deducted the majority of the infastructure while it is still available.

run the 240 lines to boxes as necessary with #6 copper wire (good to 75 amps)

#6 copper wire is good to 75 amps only if the insulation is rated @ 90C (194F). I'm not an expert in wiring so I don't know if this is common but personally, I went with #4 wire, rated to 70A with 60C insulation. Don't forget that you can only pull 80% of this.

You can find the AWG wire sizes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge