Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Link business model

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have been using chargers with EV-Link card, was very happy every time.
However, I am just wondering how they keep the business going without users paying anything.
I suspect they can't keep this freebie model going indefinitely. Some day they have to charge money to keep the lights on, or closing down.

EV Power's main revenue stream is installing and selling EVSEs in commercial and residential car parks.
I don't doubt that someday they might indeed start charging and they may indeed be operating at a loss at the moment. But their revenue is not zero.

We have a couple of free Chargepoint stations in our little California beach town. Same deal as @AppleFan describes. Chargepoint made money on selling and installing the station. According to a City official, Chargepoint also makes money on the frequent maintenance that the City pay for. The City also pays for utilities.

Last edited:
EV Power's main revenue stream is installing and selling EVSEs in commercial and residential car parks.
I don't doubt that someday they might indeed start charging and they may indeed be operating at a loss at the moment. But their revenue is not zero.

Agree however I'm a victim of their business model, i.e. they charge ridiculous price for installation, in a way it's hurting the EV grow in HK. It doesn't hurt Tesla but it's not helping the grow of EV community as a whole.

I have once asked them to give me a quote, they ended up just to suggest their plans for the whole car park and asked for expensive monthly subscription compared to the price of electricity we used.

Sad to hear that @silverbird, what you said is reinforcing what I knew, for some reasons their agenda is to please/entertain management companies not individuals? That's strange I hope there isn't any deals under the carpets, owners pay for the management services after all, we are their boss!

Sad to hear that @silverbird, what you said is reinforcing what I knew, for some reasons their agenda is to please/entertain management companies not individuals? That's strange I hope there isn't any deals under the carpets, owners pay for the management services after all, we are their boss!

While sad to hear, it's not at all surprising. There doesn't need to be any under-the-table deals as you imply. Try to think about it from their (EV Power's) point of view and from a purely business perspective: How many car owners are there in Hong Kong? Now compare that number to how many management companies there are. If they can sell to even just 1-2 property management companies, they will get the business of many many estates. Besides, selling to individuals make little sense because people don't buy EVs because of EV Power -- they buy EVs because they want the EV!