TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

EV Miata VS P85

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by Caligula, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Caligula

Caligula Member

#1 Caligula, Oct 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    :biggrin: I know what my next project is going to be!

2. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Wow, that was not even close ... the EV Miata won by a mile. (9.2 sec @ 142 mph)
    Makes me wonder what the Tesla is capable of with a few more years of development.

miata.JPG

3. Caligula

Caligula Member

...or sans ~2,500 lbs.

4. purplewalt

purplewalt Active Member

I wonder what the range is on the Electric Miata?
    50 miles?
    Less?
    More?

What is required to charge it at home?
    What is the battery longevity?
    Could it be a true daily driver?
    With or without the roll bar, how well does any Miata endure a crash test?

If the only thing it does well is run 1/4 miles really fast, is it worth having a one-trick pony that does only that?

Model S looked to be stock, or near stock, including wheels and tires.
    Going to race type tires might help a bit, but it would ALSO have to lose a ton (at lest 2,000 lbs.) of weight in order to be competitive.

Guess we will have to wait for the next version of the Roadster coming out in 4 years or so for the rematch.

5. jaguar36

jaguar36 Member

These comparison videos confuse me. You're comparing a 7-seat family sedan with a 2 seat home built roadster.... whats the point? I can't wait for someone to do a comparison between a Tesla and a P1. Or a Tesla vs a Formula E racer, it'd be just as relevant.

6. Adm

Adm Active Member

Why so defensive people??? They made a great fun one off conversion that is superfast off the line. My compliments to the maker! May many more cars like this beat the Tesla Model S. It's proof that EV's are here to stay.

7. tga

tga Active Member

8. techmaven

techmaven Active Member

Looks like a lot of fun. Here's the specs page:

John's 2002 Mazda Miata

20 mile range using LiFePO4 cells. Not what you want for long range, but perfect for drag racing. The pack weighs only 200 lbs. Probably no thermal management as it isn't needed for racing and LiFePO4 chemistry is very stable.

9. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

I don't mean to be picky, but shouldn't this be in the conversions sub-forum?

10. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

It's not defensiveness. But let's pretend it is and ask the question: What's the point in the sensationalist title of the video particularly based on relevant knowledge you've just called defensiveness? If it was really just about an amazing EV home project then the title would be similar to the Inside EVs article.

11. Caligula

Caligula Member

#11 Caligula, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    When you're trying to compare seating capacity, range, safety, and comfort of a stock vehicle to a purpose built, 9 second track-only roadster there definitely is some defensiveness going on. None of that really has anything to do with any if this, and makes it apparent that the point of the video and vehicle is lost. As for the title of the video... something about books and their covers? We're all here to have fun, no? It's not a pissing match anymore than someone working out with dumbells next to an Olympic power lifter doing the clean and jerk is.