TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

EV Noisemaker Status

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by Skotty, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

Does anyone have information on what happened with the whole EV's have to make noise regulation they were looking at putting in place? Last I heard, it was set to take effect in 2015, and if that is so, new Model S sedans should be beeping, groaning, whirring, clucking, or mooing now. I'm curious if this got retracted, delayed, tabled, or what.

2. TheTalkingMule

TheTalkingMule Active Member

Not sure if this was posted elsewhere in the forum, but apparently Ford and many other carmakers have already been doing this......but for the interior.

America’s best-selling cars and trucks are built on lies: The rise of fake engine noise

3. caddieo

caddieo Member

Making noise about noise. :tongue:

4. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

5. BrianC

BrianC Member

6. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

From the article:
    Interestingly, the article had plenty of hyperlinks for other stuff, but this quoted text does NOT point to any substantiation, and this is the first time I've heard of any hard data (one way or the other). But I'm suspicious.

7. Auzie

Auzie Tree Hugger Member

My wild guess: There may be an increased risk of pedestrians not hearing approaching electric cars. I would be very surprised if that increased risk actually translates into more accidents and even more surprised if anyone has done studies on the issue and published the quoted results.

Quick google search provides one interesting article which does state that pedestrians are more likely to be run over by hybrids, but attributes such outcome to reasons other than silence.

The silence of electric cars is one of their advantages as they reduce noise pollution. It seems like a very poor and questionable solution to make cars noisier in order to help reduce accidents. It is up to the driver to look out for pedestrians, if the onus is on pedestrians to run away when they hear noise, then good luck to all of us.

8. Panu

Panu Member

A modern ICE car approaching at low speed has no noticeable engine noise. I hope noone wants to make EVs noisier than ICEs.

9. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator