Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV number plate triangle!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Wol747

Aug 26, 2017
Tea Gardens
I expect I'm not the first to receive a couple of EV triangles from Transport for NSW/Service NSW/RTA/Maritime (Pick this week's title) that have to be fixed to the plates on my car.

The car I picked up at Alexandria a month ago has plastic panels over the plates, secured with small plastic clips - it looks like a security thing to stop someone taking the plates away. Trouble is, I can't remove the clips without breaking something!

Ha anyone found a way of doing this to get to the number plates?

I expect I'm not the first to receive a couple of EV triangles from Transport for NSW/Service NSW/RTA/Maritime (Pick this week's title) that have to be fixed to the plates on my car.

The car I picked up at Alexandria a month ago has plastic panels over the plates, secured with small plastic clips - it looks like a security thing to stop someone taking the plates away. Trouble is, I can't remove the clips without breaking something!

Ha anyone found a way of doing this to get to the number plates?

Be a rebel! Just stick them on the acrylic cover and make them wonky too. Or upside down.

Seriously though - they are just an Altrex cover and mine slide either way with a bit of a push. I have never had to pop the clips off. Just push the cover to the plate and slide it left or right as long as it is newish. After a while the black foam does perish and adhere to the plate making this impossible. Then you break the clips off and get a new set for $4 from Supercheap.

BTW- I have an excellent collection of new rear Altrex covers with clips built up over the last 10 years. You have to buy them in pairs you see and the locals around here judge their parallel parking by stopping just after their towbar cracks into your front plate.

jgdc: I have to admit I'm new to these newfangled covers! The last car I bought was fifteen years ago back when automatics were cutting edge, and these covers for plates were unheard of. (Well, to me, anyway.)
I'll try the sliding thing, I think.