Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Offer frunk not unlatching *SOLVED*

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just relaying my experience in case it helps someone else.

I installed the EV Offer auto-frunk on my '21 MYLR5 last August, and it worked perfectly up until about a week ago. I went to open it to show off to some coworkers, and I heard the OEM latch actuate and saw the arms try to lift the frunk, but it wouldn't open. I tried pushing down on it and pulling up on it when actuating, but nothing worked. Tried pulling on the manual release, but the cable didn't budge.

Tesla mobile service came out and they tried to use one of their airbags to open it, but it wouldn't budge. He tried messing with it for a good 30-45 min before he gave up and made me an appointment to bring it into an SC where they could look at it closer.

I engaged EV Offer support (probably what I should have done first) and they sent a video of how to use two pliers to get more leverage when pulling the manual release cable. This method did give me more leverage.....to the point that the cable snapped. They then suggested I cut the cable between the latch motor and the latch by going through the wheel well. After removing the wheel and the plastic wheel well liner, I was able to snake my arm in, find the latch motor, and very carefully cut the cable (I wasn't thrilled about using cutters in such a small area with lots of wires around). I tried to open the frunk again, and it popped right up.

So now the frunk will open and close itself, but I have to manually latch it. Support said they'll send me a new motor. All things considered it could have been a lot worse, but this was my second positive experience with EV Offer support.

There are two wires that are behind the cover for the front tow-hook (the big circle on the driver side of the front bumper). They recommend zip-tying the pull cable to these wires so that you can access it without popping the frunk. That'd be the first place I'd check. If it's not there then you'll either have to take the frunk tub out and look (assuming you can open the frunk) or ask whoever installed it for you where they put the cable.

If all else fails, you may be able to take the driver wheel and wheel well liner and see/feel where the cable goes from the latch motor.

Reactions: Lucas007
There are two wires that are behind the cover for the front tow-hook (the big circle on the driver side of the front bumper). They recommend zip-tying the pull cable to these wires so that you can access it without popping the frunk. That'd be the first place I'd check. If it's not there then you'll either have to take the frunk tub out and look (assuming you can open the frunk) or ask whoever installed it for you where they put the cable.

If all else fails, you may be able to take the driver wheel and wheel well liner and see/feel where the cable goes from the latch motor.
I did the wheel well cover and reached for the latch motor and I opened the motor and as soon as I did that the frunk popped open. Now I am dealing with Henshaw to get a replacement.

Is the cable you cut from the motor to the latch the long steel cable that is under tension, or was it an electrical one?

I have the same product and I am always concerned about it not opening - if this works, I might open it and position the cable-to-cut closer to the wheel base so i can access it in case of emergency ( and the front loop snaps, breaks, or doesn't work ).

Is the cable you cut from the motor to the latch the long steel cable that is under tension, or was it an electrical one?

I have the same product and I am always concerned about it not opening - if this works, I might open it and position the cable-to-cut closer to the wheel base so i can access it in case of emergency ( and the front loop snaps, breaks, or doesn't work ).
Yes, the one from the motor to the latch. At first I also wasn't sure if they wanted me to cut the cable or the wires and asked them to clarify.

If you have the time/energy, I agree it's a good idea to route the cable near the wheel well so that you're sure you can reach it.

Reactions: Lucas007
Im in the same boat and now need to cut the wire. I have the latest revision and it stopped working in the winter.

So what can be done to prevent this from happening again? Its great we can solve the issue but is it just a bad design thats updated or does the install need to be adjisted?

Im in the same boat and now need to cut the wire. I have the latest revision and it stopped working in the winter.

So what can be done to prevent this from happening again? Its great we can solve the issue but is it just a bad design thats updated or does the install need to be adjisted?

Good question. Given where it's installed, I'm surprised corrosion/binding is an issue. I did notice some design differences between the one I purchased and the replacement they sent, but I don't know if the changes were related to our issues. I would think that being hidden behind the bumper would be enough to shield it from road salt. I've resorted to just making sure I open mine periodically so that everything gets exercised.

I’m in the same boat here. Evoffer v4 power frunk installed last June, worked great until this weekend when it just makes two latch noises in quick succession and doesn’t open. Emergency release cable snapped off without getting anything open.

I contacted Evoffer and was told to turn the wheels to the right and access the motor via the wheel well, but all I see are suspension parts and plastic panels. Am I supposed to remove the wheel or other parts? That wasn’t mentioned by Evoffer…. Are there instructions for doing so?

The kids’ skating gear is stuck in the frunk and my wife is pissed. At least it’s not groceries in there :p

I’m in the same boat here. Evoffer v4 power frunk installed last June, worked great until this weekend when it just makes two latch noises in quick succession and doesn’t open. Emergency release cable snapped off without getting anything open.

I contacted Evoffer and was told to turn the wheels to the right and access the motor via the wheel well, but all I see are suspension parts and plastic panels. Am I supposed to remove the wheel or other parts? That wasn’t mentioned by Evoffer…. Are there instructions for doing so?

The kids’ skating gear is stuck in the frunk and my wife is pissed. At least it’s not groceries in there :p

Yes, you'll have to pull off all the plastic parts to gain access. Going off of memory, the black trim piece on the outside pops off first, and then I think there's a handful of screws that keep the wheel well lining on. I found a video on youtube and just followed what the guy did, but I don't remember what video it was.

Does anyone else know of a video for doing this (removing the wheel well panels to access the latch motor)? Do I need a tool to pop the retainers off? Seems like the kind of thing where you could do damage just yanking blindly.

Cross posting but I figured it out, and made a diagram for others (if they were confused like I was):
Latch Motor Access.jpg

Reactions: KevinT3141
FYI: For anyone following or having this issue with EVOffer auto frunk - they just recently have an update to the firmware . See email below from Warren of EVOffer:

"A new firmware update is now available for our Electric Frunk system. This update is applicable to our Electric Frunk systems for Tesla Model S/X/3/Y and introduces a new feature that prevents the frunk from getting stuck, even when the latch motor is malfunctioning.

Here is the details of the firmware update:
2023-03 Firmware Update for Electric Frunk

We strongly recommend installing the firmware update. If you are not sure about which firmware to use, please contact our tech support team on Telegram:
EVOffer Support"

Reactions: Jdmoto
FYI: For anyone following or having this issue with EVOffer auto frunk - they just recently have an update to the firmware . See email below from Warren of EVOffer:

"A new firmware update is now available for our Electric Frunk system. This update is applicable to our Electric Frunk systems for Tesla Model S/X/3/Y and introduces a new feature that prevents the frunk from getting stuck, even when the latch motor is malfunctioning.

Here is the details of the firmware update:
2023-03 Firmware Update for Electric Frunk

We strongly recommend installing the firmware update. If you are not sure about which firmware to use, please contact our tech support team on Telegram:
EVOffer Support"

I updated the firmware on my evoffer. If anyone is looking to update the firmware. Pro tip: look at the back of the Funk Module and grab the last 3 digits of the module. That will tell you which version you need to download. What should of taken 15 mins took over 1 hour cause i had the wrong firmware.

Also be careful not to drop your microsd into the ecu, the sd card mount is recessed and somewhat hard to place.

Overall, I'm happy that EVoffer is providing firmware updates for improvements.

As luck would have it it I went to open the frunk to install the new firmware however just the double click, click sound and no joy. Tried the cable pull but still no joy. Did I read right and i need to cut the pull cable between the latch and motor? Have just sent a Telegram to EV offer for some advice and hopefully a new motor as the other one will be toast after cutting the cable. Still going to be some longevity issues with the motor/cable assembly unless there is a redesigned version out there.

UPDATE... Went at it with the plier and leverage technique. Heard a very faint click so I tried the frunk open button, WORKED. Afraid to close the frunk at this point, may just remove the EV Offer latch until this is figured out.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: RoBoRaT
Well add me to the list. I did update my firmware about a month ago so not sure if it was a contributing factor or not. Anyway, Wife calls says frunk wont close, and car is giving the error message. So I come look at it, I had to manually push it shut, We get it home and after some trouble shooting it releases but does not release all the way only about 3/4 of an inch. I had to use the cable to manually release it. Then I tried to actuate it tries to close but does not able to pull it past the last detent position. So looks like the motor is fried, I sent evoffer a message waiting to hear back from them for a replacement. It does appear that is the weak link in the whole setup. Knowing this I will try to position the motor in a good spot for easy access should it fail and the cable fail as well. One piece of advice if you have someone actuate the release button while your are pulling the emergency cable this can help make it easier to release the latch, with less risk of snapping that little wire.

Installed Nov-22 Failed APR 23 used no more than 20-30 times I'm guessing.