Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Offer Power Frunk Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed the EV Offer (Tesla Offer) power frunk kit in my 2013 MS85 back in June when someone here was nice enough to arrange for a 20% discount for a group buy. Kit was very impressive and generally went in easily enough and the EV Offer folks were very helpful with a few technical questions I had via the Telegram app. About a month ago, the motor that pulls the lid down to latch on closing stopped working - the cable broke and the motor itself stopped coming on. Once again the tech folks at EV Offer helped out and sent me a replacement motor however their response time went from very impressive to extremely slow and annoying - often taking several days to respond to my questions.

Now I've finally received the replacement motor and had the chance to install it. The motor is now working again but the lever it moves to pull the lid closed and into the latch is in the wrong place and blocks the lid from closing. This means it not only doesn't work but I can no longer close it manually because the lever is in the way. I've sent EV Offer several messages via Telegram (the ONLY way they communicate with customers) and have yet to receive any response. While it's only been several hours, I'm now stuck with a car I can't drive until they tell me how to fix it or I go back in and remove/disable the motor again. I can't wait several days to a week for them to decide to look at their incoming tech help line so I'm asking here if anyone has any experience with this kit on the early pre-facelift RWD cars and might have any suggestions.

Quick update: EV Offer responded overnight with a suggestion about sliding their extra latch bracket to the left side of the car as far as possible. This is definitely the right direction and did lessen the interference but it is still not working. Waiting for another suggestion from them. In the meantime, I'm going to have to remove their closing bracket in order to drive the car.

Well EV Offer came through in the end.

After my last post, some additional fiddling got the latch so that I could close it manually so I didn't need to remove or disable the latch. Yesterday they provided the procedures to change the closing speed and closing force settings which in combination, seems to have resolved the issue.

They seem to be in Hong Kong which explains the wait to hear back. Did your shipment come from the US or abroad? I'm thinking of getting the power frunk and their light kit rear bar for my 2015 S.
Yes, I do believe Hong Kong is correct. My replacement did come from overseas but I couldn't really tell where. Interestingly, they do have a US address to return faulty parts so I didn't have to pay international shipping which was nice.

So I sign up for telegram yesterday, didn't really want to, but had some questions before I plunk down $1000 on several items.

Questions ignored and the sale is over apparently.

Edit, and 2 minutes after I typed this, they signed in to telegram at noon EST (prob 1am HK time).

Last edited:
So I sign up for telegram yesterday, didn't really want to, but had some questions before I plunk down $1000 on several items.

Questions ignored and the sale is over apparently.

Edit, and 2 minutes after I typed this, they signed in to telegram at noon EST (prob 1am HK time).
The time zone difference did make things a bit challenging at times but once they respond, they were always very helpful. I'd ask if they can extend the sale price as you had questions you wanted answered first. The worst they can do is say no but you might luck out and get both answers and the better price.

Reactions: gillmj24
Ordered. Took a while for telegrams to be answered, and then I check my phone and they answered hours previously - no notifications from telegram hopefully I don't have to use that app often, not a fan.

They were nice enough to give me a coupon for the amount prices changed while waiting for my questions to be answered. I did order everything they had for the old S. Express shipping was a small enough percentage more.

I'm in the process of installing the Variant B for my 2016 MS facelift too. Unfortunately when I try to close the hood, it does not latch completely because of the front hook; but it will when I manually push it down from open. Was this your same issue with that lever blocking your hood from going down?

I'm in the process of installing the Variant B for my 2016 MS facelift too. Unfortunately when I try to close the hood, it does not latch completely because of the front hook; but it will when I manually push it down from open. Was this your same issue with that lever blocking your hood from going down?

Read this for others who have had a similar issue (albeit with 2021+). Power Frunk Group Buy - MS Refresh LR/Plaid

Sounds very similar to my issue when installing the replacement motor. I was able to solve it by a combination of increasing the closing force, increasing the closing speed, and adjusting the cable travel so that the lever that pulls the hood down the last little bit into the latch is both out of the way when it first comes down and then pulls it down the greatest possible distance.

To adjust the first two controls, you push and hold the button on the control module and then do various things once it beeps. I don't recall the exact procedure and it is possible it is slightly different in different versions of the kit so I would ask their tech support for the correct procedure for your unit. Exactly which of these adjustments was the most important in solving my issue, I don't know. It's possible I really only needed to do one or two of them and your situation may be similar.

I installed an EVOffer electronic frunk trunk kit for my 22 MYP in April of 2022. It worked great up until this weekend. I closed the hood and it wouldn't latch down (sticks up about an inch). I took out the tub and made sure the alignment of the hood latch was dead center into the catch as it was coming down. It triggers the switch first and then is in the catch position. The problem is the motor that pulls the latch and hood down isn't working - it doesn't move. My guess is the wire may have come loose inside the motor since it was loose - lots of slack in the cable. I sent a message to EVoffer using Telegram on Monday but still haven't heard back. Regarding which model I have - Mark 3, 4, 5 and firmware - I have never been able to figure out what version of this frunk kit I have. The supplied module has this info printed on one side:

AT10F251
Telsa model Y Frunk
SW v10.2017
Build: 220314
<bar code>
F10212191

I installed an EVOffer electronic frunk trunk kit for my 22 MYP in April of 2022. It worked great up until this weekend. I closed the hood and it wouldn't latch down (sticks up about an inch). I took out the tub and made sure the alignment of the hood latch was dead center into the catch as it was coming down. It triggers the switch first and then is in the catch position. The problem is the motor that pulls the latch and hood down isn't working - it doesn't move. My guess is the wire may have come loose inside the motor since it was loose - lots of slack in the cable. I sent a message to EVoffer using Telegram on Monday but still haven't heard back. Regarding which model I have - Mark 3, 4, 5 and firmware - I have never been able to figure out what version of this frunk kit I have. The supplied module has this info printed on one side:

AT10F251
Telsa model Y Frunk
SW v10.2017
Build: 220314
<bar code>
F10212191
Quick update - EVOffer replied on Telegram today. They said they would ship a new latch motor to me.

Reactions: gillmj24
I installed the EVOFFER electric Frunk for our Model Y about a year and half ago, pretty simple install, plug and play. To date, we love it. Never used the frunk until the electric opener was installed now we use it almost daily. That said, we liked the product so much that I also installed the EVOFFER electric frunk in my 2022 Model X. Very disappointed...after the installation the interior button on my display is grayed out and no longer functional. I now have to use my Tesla app to open and close the frunk which negates the reason I purchased it in the first place. I contacted EVOFFER for support/assistance and was told my issue is a Tesla problem. Good answer, just not the right answer. If EVOFFER is not going to stand by their defective product I can no longer recommend this to others. Perhaps the Model Y version is better, but the Model X version is not working for me at all.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
I installed the EVOFFER electric Frunk for our Model Y about a year and half ago, pretty simple install, plug and play. To date, we love it. Never used the frunk until the electric opener was installed now we use it almost daily. That said, we liked the product so much that I also installed the EVOFFER electric frunk in my 2022 Model X. Very disappointed...after the installation the interior button on my display is grayed out and no longer functional. I now have to use my Tesla app to open and close the frunk which negates the reason I purchased it in the first place. I contacted EVOFFER for support/assistance and was told my issue is a Tesla problem. Good answer, just not the right answer. If EVOFFER is not going to stand by their defective product I can no longer recommend this to others. Perhaps the Model Y version is better, but the Model X version is not working for me at all.

I wonder if it used to work on the Model X before a previous software update.

That's always the catch with any aftermarket accessories that have to interact with Tesla's electronics/software. The poor 3/Y owners that spent $500 for a Ohmm lithium 12V battery replacement in hopes that would give piece of mind over replacing the OEM $85 battery every 2-3 years live in constant fear of that next Tesla software update.

Reactions: dmurphy
The poor 3/Y owners that spent $500 for a Ohmm lithium 12V battery replacement in hopes that would give piece of mind over replacing the OEM $85 battery every 2-3 years
I’m all for folks doing whatever they’d like to their cars, but man, this is one I never understood! I’m at 4 years already on my Model 3 12V batt, so that’d be, what, a >24 year breakeven point?!

I am about to give up on EV offer. Used to have great service and quick solutions. I have issues on both the Y and the S with the auto frunk however they do not get back to you via their "telegram" app. Keep sending please respond messages several days apart and nothing comes back. Have even paid for new struts which were said to be much improved over the originals yet over a month later when I inquired about a tracking number I was told they are still in development. Can't seem to get a refund or parts or even answers from them any more. Definitely not the company they they used to be. I suggest you forget about these people unless you want something that will work for a year or 2 at best and then be left in the dark.

Just installed model y power frunk from EV Offer. The motor isn’t working, ECU lights came on flashing red but it later went away. I can’t close the trunk because latch doesn’t open. No response from them on Telegram. Anyone have any ideas?