Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV-only household

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had a Tesla/Leaf combo until we turned in the Leaf last June at the end of the lease. We had almost 30% loss of range on the Leaf. We were only getting around 70 miles range fully charged. We paid $700 for the quick charge port but rarely used it. The Leaf would always lose range rapidly at freeway speeds or with the AC on so even with the quick charge capability you would have to charge frequently for any trip over 70 miles. We replaced the Leaf with a Fiat 500e for my wife. She loves it and it is holding its 100+ mile range. Hopefully the Model 3 will be available by the time that lease is up. We had the Leaf first before I got my Model S so we are still using the wall charger we got with the Leaf for both cars. I charge my Model S each night (almost 42,000 miles now in 2 years, 3 months) and hers gets charged maybe twice a week. We are never going back to an ICE car.

The battery degradation of the Leaf concerns me. I'm also looking at a used Ford Focus Electric. I'm not in California, so we don't have as many EV options available. I'm sure the BMW i3 is a great car but it's too much money for something that gets driven fewer than 5000 miles per year.

We have been EV-only since 2009. For three years (until the Model S arrived) we had a Roadster and a Rav4, which is a pretty similar combination to a Model S and a Leaf. It worked great! I traded my Roadster for my wife's Rav4 to get more cargo space more often than she traded to get more range. Of course there were no Superchargers then so road trips in the Roadster were a lot less convenient, but that was a sacrifice you no longer have to make.

There has been a change in our lives that could have made it slightly more difficult if we had not traded the Rav4 for a Model S. Both of our parents need assistance, they live in opposite directions...and both are out of year-round Leaf range. We like to go help them on the same day of the week. Even though we did not need it several years ago (thank goodness, as there were no EVSEs in WA several years ago, let alone DC charge stations), if we were to get a Leaf now the only option I would consider mandatory would be the DC charge port.

For charging, we have an HPWC in our new house, but no need for it. Most of the time we have just had two 14-50's with staggered start times like ecarfan. Works great.

The battery degradation of the Leaf concerns me. I'm also looking at a used Ford Focus Electric. I'm not in California, so we don't have as many EV options available. I'm sure the BMW i3 is a great car but it's too much money for something that gets driven fewer than 5000 miles per year.
We've been living in basically EV only mode since May when I picked up my CPO P85. My wife uses a Focus EV that we began leasing last year. She's put about 13,000 miles on the Focus and the battery has not degraded at all. Of course it has a limited range to begin with, but it still shows great range when fully charged. It's been a great little commuter car for her.

I still own a fairly modified 712 RWHP 2004 Ford Cobra, but since it's tuned to run on E85, it's not really practical to drive except in my little area of the Midwest where E85 is plentiful. As such, I consider us essentially an EV only family. The Tesla is my daily and our long-distance car and the Focus EV is my wife's commuter and we've had no issues relying on our EV's for all our transportation needs. We will never be purchasing another ICE again.

Aside from a Leaf being unattractive IMO, good on you for thinking all electric! I am. No regrets. I sold my ICE because I simply never used it. But now I have to put my two lunatic dogs in my beauty, which has been an emotional issue for me! So maybe one regret...

The first world is tough.

My question is if people have two EVSEs or just one in a two-EV household. How beefy of a panel do you need to support that?
I had my house built with 400A service and two NEMA 14-50's in the garage. One NEMA outlet was changed to 6-50 for the Leviton 40A EVSE that I use with the RAV4 EV and the other 14-50 sits unused. We charge the e-Golf with the provided 120V charge cord (Clipper Creek PCS-15 design made by Delphi). When the battery level is too low to charge overnight, we plug it in just before going to bed, let it go all night and then use the Leviton to finish it off when we wake up. That last hour from 6-7am after which the electric rates go up is usually enough to fully charge the e-Golf. I should just buy one of the many available 30A or 32A EVSEs on the market for the e-Golf, but we usually only drive it within the overnight 120V charging range.

We're *almost* there. We have a Model S (husband's daily driver) and a Smart EV (mine). We also have an old Ford Ranger that we use for picking up home improvement supplies, carting stuff to the waste center, and other miscellaneous stuff that seems to happen when you own a fixer-upper house. Part of that is a desire to have a vehicle that we're willing to let get pretty dirty and use to tow mini excavators and such.

I find it funny when I read that the Model S would never make it as a "long range vehicle" because for us, it is our long range vehicle. But then, we've got a Tesla HPWC, a Clipper Creek charger for the Smart, and we live in Massachusetts where we've been able to find pretty good charging options whenever we make travel plans (for trips to the Berkshires, the beach, road trips to DC, etc.). I work maybe 15 miles from home, and they put charging stations in my office park last year. Originally the truck was also a fall-back vehicle, but it turns out I haven't really used it for that purpose much at all. Hopefully within the next few years, we'll switch over to an electric lawnmower, too.

We have a separate panel with 200A service direct to the garage (which seems to confuse the electric company). I suspect there may have been future plans for a garage-based workshop involved in that decision. The garage is newly built, and it kills me to park the truck inside because unlike the other cars, it drips fluids onto the nice new floor...

Last edited:
We have a MS and Prius plug in but since we have kids and need the extra room for road trips or when family visits we purchased a used Denali. I bought the MS for my commute but decided to save the miles so about 5 months ago leased a Prius plug in with 25k mile a year lease (got a great deal) to commute with. I thought about the E Golf but was worried I wouldn't make it one way to work especially when 45 miles of it would be higher speed freeway driving until I reach the last 15 miles or so which would be stop and go traffic. Then I would need to charge at work and with the range I wouldn't be able to run too many errands or travel too far away from my commute.
We are also considering the MX but want to actually drive it and see it before we decide to put a deposit.