Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Parking Etiquette

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally, depends on your state of charge and other occupancy/busy site.

My personal moral judgement would say for length of average film and you won't be finished (at your desired limit) charging part way through, and there was at least one other stall free, I would personally say its ok.

However if you were high state of charge, other spaces fully occupied, or you were not going to return within couple of hours, then I would question it.

I go through similar thought process at superchargers. I've had couple of occasions where charging limited to 80% and I've upped it to 90% because that is my charge to last the week. With 8 or so stalls, there is always going to have someone coming or going. So my extra 10 minutes is just as important to me as everyone else's last 10% of charge. Would I go more than 90%, no. The only times I have done this is with plenty of spare stalls and I have been in the car. I'm normally back to car for final 10 minutes predicted even on a 90% limit charge.

Only if you leave it parked past the point where you have sufficient battery charge. 'Sufficient' is up to you.

Slow (<=7kW) chargers I thing are ok to leave parked & charging at for a long time/few hours, it wouldn't be expected for you to move after 30 mins.

Please have sympathy for the poor unfortuneates who do not have access to the Tesla Supercharging network.
You may be hogging the only serviceable public charger for miles around (OK, OK I know it's Milton Keynes where public chargers are more common than Sky dishes)
So if you do fancy settling in for the evening for nice movie in your car whilst it is charging, Milton Keynes is definitely the place to do it.

• Funny
Reactions: Yev000 and davidmc
There are around 4 EV (podpoint) charging Points at the MK Stadium near the cinema. Is it poor form to park in one of these spaces and leave the car on charge while I watch a film? (They are only 7KW chargers)
Try it and leave Sentry mode on. That should tell you how other people feel about it. :)
That and the keying.

I have a golden rule - only ever use a charge point when you really need to charge.

I've used a few 7 kW destination charge points, usually overnight, when I've needed a full charge the following morning. When I owned a PHEV, I never once used a public charge point, for the simple reason that I never NEEDED to charge, I always had enough range to go wherever I needed to without any charging at all - charging was just a "nice to have" feature that improved economy when the car was parked at home/"work", with access to a charge point that no one else ever needed to use.

Reactions: Roy W. and Cogarch
I have a golden rule - only ever use a charge point when you really need to charge.

I've used a few 7 kW destination charge points, usually overnight, when I've needed a full charge the following morning. When I owned a PHEV, I never once used a public charge point, for the simple reason that I never NEEDED to charge, I always had enough range to go wherever I needed to without any charging at all - charging was just a "nice to have" feature that improved economy when the car was parked at home/"work", with access to a charge point that no one else ever needed to use.
If you have access to home charging I would kind of agree but if you rely entirely on public chargers then I don't see it makes any difference whether you are on 20% or 80%. Either way you will have to get all your electrons at public chargers at some point so might as well be whenever and wherever it is most convenient. Overall you will spend exactly the same amount of time sitting in charging bays.

Whatever your situation, dependant on where you are and what you are doing, There is always the option to leave a phone number or reference to NeedToCharge in the windscreen if it alleviates your conscience. Not ideal for this particular cinema based situation though.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to leave it on charge for a film, even if there is only 1 charger left.

The exception would be if you arrive with 89% and have it set to charge to 90% for like 10 min and leave it for 2 hours. But honestly, only you would know that...

Now if you just use it as a parking space and don't plug it in at all, what would be a di*k move....

Reactions: CMc1
What’s been your experience using destination chargers e.g at hotels?
You turn up and they’re full but need a charge for your onward journey the next day.

I always book hotel charge points in advance if I can.

We're away at a hotel for Christmas, and I booked a charge at the hotel as a part of our booking, for example, although they have three charge points and probably only have a couple of dozen cars in total, anyway, so the chances are one would have been free.

Similarly, we were away at a hotel three weeks or so ago, and I booked a charge in advance, and as they had valet parking I'd guess they just moved cars around if more than one needed a charge. The hotel we stayed in last Christmas only had one charge point, didn't have valet parking, and two of us needed a charge. We just agreed via reception to move our cars on Boxing Day, so we could both get a charge.

I only ever charge on Destination Charger / A/C if I need the charge, in case someone with smaller battery / greater need needs it. Like an Outlander :rolleyes:

I have a card in the car with my mobile number on it that I can leave on the dash : "It you urgently need a charge please call me"

There are websites which offer similar ability (i.e. to avoid disclosing your mobile number), I think they make use of a QR code :)

I only ever charge on Destination Charger / A/C if I need the charge, in case someone with smaller battery / greater need needs it. Like an Outlander :rolleyes:

I have a card in the car with my mobile number on it that I can leave on the dash : "It you urgently need a charge please call me"

There are websites which offer similar ability (i.e. to avoid disclosing your mobile number), I think they make use of a QR code :)
"needtocharge" is one of them. that just uses the regnum I think