TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

EV Parking Etiquette

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by Palros, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Palros

Palros Member

There are around 4 EV (podpoint) charging Points at the MK Stadium near the cinema. Is it poor form to park in one of these spaces and leave the car on charge while I watch a film? (They are only 7KW chargers)

2. anon37485

anon37485 Closed

Is it poor form to park at a charger, and charge? No.

• Like x 4
  3. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK Moderator UK and Ireland

Personally, depends on your state of charge and other occupancy/busy site.

My personal moral judgement would say for length of average film and you won't be finished (at your desired limit) charging part way through, and there was at least one other stall free, I would personally say its ok.

However if you were high state of charge, other spaces fully occupied, or you were not going to return within couple of hours, then I would question it.

I go through similar thought process at superchargers. I've had couple of occasions where charging limited to 80% and I've upped it to 90% because that is my charge to last the week. With 8 or so stalls, there is always going to have someone coming or going. So my extra 10 minutes is just as important to me as everyone else's last 10% of charge. Would I go more than 90%, no. The only times I have done this is with plenty of spare stalls and I have been in the car. I'm normally back to car for final 10 minutes predicted even on a 90% limit charge.

4. NorfolkMustard

NorfolkMustard Active Member

Only if you leave it parked past the point where you have sufficient battery charge. 'Sufficient' is up to you.

Slow (<=7kW) chargers I thing are ok to leave parked & charging at for a long time/few hours, it wouldn't be expected for you to move after 30 mins.

5. Bobly

Bobly Member

In my experience most of the chargers in MK are occupied with PHEVs anyway, so clearly those people don't really care about etiquette when full EVs would benefit more.

6. Mr Miserable

Mr Miserable Supporting Member

Please have sympathy for the poor unfortuneates who do not have access to the Tesla Supercharging network.
    You may be hogging the only serviceable public charger for miles around (OK, OK I know it's Milton Keynes where public chargers are more common than Sky dishes)
    So if you do fancy settling in for the evening for nice movie in your car whilst it is charging, Milton Keynes is definitely the place to do it.

• Funny x 2
  7. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Well-Known Member

Think of the many <100 mile range EVs are out there. These folks often NEED the power.

If you don't NEED the power, let someone else have a chance. If you NEED it, go for it.

There's nothing more infuriating than being close to empty and having a car with a 240+ mile range hogging the charger.

• Like x 4
  8. Palros

Palros Member

Thanks guys.

9. Jason71

Jason71 Active Member

Try it and leave Sentry mode on. That should tell you how other people feel about it. :)
    That and the keying.

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  10. Glan gluaisne

Glan gluaisne Supporting Member

I have a golden rule - only ever use a charge point when you really need to charge.

I've used a few 7 kW destination charge points, usually overnight, when I've needed a full charge the following morning. When I owned a PHEV, I never once used a public charge point, for the simple reason that I never NEEDED to charge, I always had enough range to go wherever I needed to without any charging at all - charging was just a "nice to have" feature that improved economy when the car was parked at home/"work", with access to a charge point that no one else ever needed to use.

• Like x 2
  11. Jason71

Jason71 Active Member

If you have access to home charging I would kind of agree but if you rely entirely on public chargers then I don't see it makes any difference whether you are on 20% or 80%. Either way you will have to get all your electrons at public chargers at some point so might as well be whenever and wherever it is most convenient. Overall you will spend exactly the same amount of time sitting in charging bays.

Whatever your situation, dependant on where you are and what you are doing, There is always the option to leave a phone number or reference to NeedToCharge in the windscreen if it alleviates your conscience. Not ideal for this particular cinema based situation though.

12. phillcom3

phillcom3 Member

if there were a way to show your SOC to shut these people up... oh wait.

13. Jellus

Jellus Member

Charging points are there to be used, so use them. That's literally what they're for. Every 30 minutes you spend charging is 30 minutes less you'll have to spend next time. It all evens out in the end.

• Like x 2
  14. Rooster6655

Rooster6655 Active Member

Yes if you need to charge then charge, most people won’t show any consideration so do what you think is best.

15. MacPaul

MacPaul Member

What’s been your experience using destination chargers e.g at hotels?
    You turn up and they’re full but need a charge for your onward journey the next day.

16. Mark_T

Mark_T Active Member

... maximum range is irrelevant, if the SoC is low then they need that charge just as much as you do...

17. Yev000

Yev000 Active Member

I think it's perfectly reasonable to leave it on charge for a film, even if there is only 1 charger left.

The exception would be if you arrive with 89% and have it set to charge to 90% for like 10 min and leave it for 2 hours. But honestly, only you would know that...

Now if you just use it as a parking space and don't plug it in at all, what would be a di*k move....

• Like x 1
  18. Glan gluaisne

Glan gluaisne Supporting Member

I always book hotel charge points in advance if I can.

We're away at a hotel for Christmas, and I booked a charge at the hotel as a part of our booking, for example, although they have three charge points and probably only have a couple of dozen cars in total, anyway, so the chances are one would have been free.

Similarly, we were away at a hotel three weeks or so ago, and I booked a charge in advance, and as they had valet parking I'd guess they just moved cars around if more than one needed a charge. The hotel we stayed in last Christmas only had one charge point, didn't have valet parking, and two of us needed a charge. We just agreed via reception to move our cars on Boxing Day, so we could both get a charge.

19. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Well-Known Member

I only ever charge on Destination Charger / A/C if I need the charge, in case someone with smaller battery / greater need needs it. Like an Outlander :rolleyes:

I have a card in the car with my mobile number on it that I can leave on the dash : "It you urgently need a charge please call me"

There are websites which offer similar ability (i.e. to avoid disclosing your mobile number), I think they make use of a QR code :)

20. Jason71

Jason71 Active Member

"needtocharge" is one of them. that just uses the regnum I think

• Like x 2