Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV parking priority

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would go as far as to say that charging stations should make you put you cell phone number in them to initiate charging, then when you are done it calls you are texts you.
If you are using a ChargePoint station, they DO have your cell number and a text is send when you are done. The OVMS module mentioned in another thread allows you to monitor your situation remotely when you are charging. I think it may have, or is going to develop, the abiliy to send a text when charging is done.

...And will that new Walgreens being built across from my store have chargers, and if so, how many?...
I recall seeing a quote saying that Walgreens plans to have a total of 800 charging stations installed by the end of the year.
Around the SF bay area it is a bit "hit or miss" right now, with only some subset of Walgreens having them. I gather they don't plan to put one at every single location, so I can't say for sure if yours will get one or not. From what I have seen, most Walgreens that get any are only are getting one charging station.
Also, around here they have some with ChargePoint and some with SemaConnect, so there are two different authorizations with two different types of cards to use depending on where you go. I wish they were more consistent with their deployments.

I recall seeing a quote saying that Walgreens plans to have a total of 800 charging stations installed by the end of the year.
Around the SF bay area it is a bit "hit or miss" right now, with only some subset of Walgreens having them. I gather they don't plan to put one at every single location, so I can't say for sure if yours will get one or not. From what I have seen, most Walgreens that get any are only are getting one charging station.
Also, around here they have some with ChargePoint and some with SemaConnect, so there are two different authorizations with two different types of cards to use depending on where you go. I wish they were more consistent with their deployments.

I charged at a SemaCharge at the Daly City Walgreens...I did not have to swipe any cards to charge there...Down here in So Cal, I have never seen a Walgrees with a SemaCharge (only Chargepoint) & 90% of Walgreens down here have a price attached to them.

I have charged my LEAF at Walgreens in San Jose, San Mateo, and San Francisco. All were Chargepoint, and all were free when I did it. None were ICEd.
I understand that many are charging by the hour now.

Last edited:
The DC charger was located at a parking spot where there was also located a vacuum as well as an air hose. Which brings up a very interesting twist here on the parking priority issue: What do I do if I need to air up my tires or vacuum up a mess, if there is an EV charging at the moment? :biggrin:

you can use that pay phone until the EV is finished charging :biggrin:

The tenacity with which the moderators police on topic matter around here is borderline ridiculous.
Woah, overreaction. Imagine how ridiculous it would be if we didn't.

We can move stuff to somewhere more appropriate. We just ask that people stay on topic to save the mods from extra work, otherwise this place becomes useless mess.

The tenacity with which the moderators police on topic matter around here is borderline ridiculous.

I'm always torn, matt ... conversations DO wander.

But we also have people who expect to find the topic indicated in the title. I also get plenty of public|private messages asking that I move stuff out to a separate thread or merge it into an existing thread. So what do I do? Do I split things off and keep it organized? Do I not ask people to just wander in the conversation? Sometimes I just slightly modify the thread title to make it more inclusive of the diff topics.

Usually I give a shot at trying to get it on topic by posting a friendly message. But hey, like most of you, I work long hours. At a job. And the job isn't TMC. This is unpaid (meaning, watch the insults, please). The moderators can't watch 24 hrs/day. So sometimes a thread takes off in a wild direction, with pleas from other forum members to take it to a separate thread. And so imagine being a mod, sitting down to enjoy browsing the forum, and being hit with a ton of messages to please get stuff cleaned up. And then there are all the new users - that means we need to moderate their early posts, help them find the right threads, move threads that were posted in Model S but they really meant Electric Vehicles, etc etc etc.

You all could help. When topics are going off, try redirecting the conversation. If that doesn't work start a new thread. Use the search function to make sure there isn't a thread already on the topic. And please, give us a break. I've especially appreciated the forum members who not only say 'this needs to be moved', but they include the links of where to move it to. Saves the mods time.

We don't volunteer our time just to drive you crazy. We're trying to keep TMC the 'go-to' place. I'm sure it's irritating when you are asked to stay on topic, but honestly, you have a lot of options. And a lot of other folks would prefer the topics stay somewhat clean, too.

Fair?

I was just at the NRG Energy HQ yesterday, and the three clearly marked EV charging spots (in front of the only 3 EVGo chargers in the state of New Jersey :) ) were wide open. It undoubtedly helps that the CEO drives (1) a Tesla Roadster or (2) a Fisker Karma or (3) a Nissan Leaf. NRG is going to install more EV-only spots, though, because those three are often filled with EVs (or at least a plug-in vehicle).

Moral: lead from the top. If the CEO is the one who finds the charging spot ICE'd, things will change.

Nope, not J1772. LEAF SL has 2 charge ports - one CHAdeMO and one J1772. I'm sure TEG will dig up a picture shortly. :)

Picture here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Nissan_LEAF_Charge_Port.jpg
(CHAdeMO on the left, J1772 on the right.)

So, a LEAF can use one or the other.
At the local VW ERL they had free J1772, but when a CHAdeMO was installed they made the J1772s private/restricted with a note saying "use the CHAdeMO quick charger instead." Great for LEAF and i-MiEV drivers with the CHAdeMO ports, but basically made the location useless for Volts, PiPs, Roadsters, etc.
(This seems to be roughly on topic!)

To mattjs33's comment: Yes, CHAdeMO is a Japanese standard, but some entities are installing some in the USA primarily for use by Japanese cars imported to here.
Some think that enough "critical mass" of chargers installed might convince some non-Japanese companies to start using the standard in their vehicles too. Time will tell.

At the risk of being more off topic, I think:
1. Mattjs33's original posts and pictures were very much on topic for this thread. A charge station in the same spot as air/water station does bring up the question of parking priority.
2. The conversation started to go awry on discussing the charge ports and connectors. TEG is not helping, super star though he is.
3. Matt over-reacted by deleting his original post and all the pictures, which I now miss.
4. Thank you moderators, I appreciate what you do.

At the risk of being more off topic, I think:
1. Mattjs33's original posts and pictures were very much on topic for this thread. A charge station in the same spot as air/water station does bring up the question of parking priority.
2. The conversation started to go awry on discussing the charge ports and connectors. TEG is not helping, super star though he is.
3. Matt over-reacted by deleting his original post and all the pictures, which I now miss.
4. Thank you moderators, I appreciate what you do.
Yeah, I was just asking for clarification and he seemed to have a melt down.

I see "EV parking priority" as being about e.g., a Leaf needing a charge more than a Volt, etc. So plug-ins competing with other plug-ins. Separate from being ICEd which I think is another thread.

Discussion of CHAdeMO seems very relevant to this topic.
(Who gets to park there? For how long?)

At some point, the parking priority could be based on an available space, and what standard of charger / EVSE gets to go there.
For instance, "sorry Tesla, your Supercharger can't go here because we already decided to put a CHAdeMO there."
It is too bad that all the effort and expense of site identification, permitting, wiring, and such ends up with a system that only serves some subset of the limited numbers of EVs that might want to use the space for charging purposes.

Last edited:
To Bonnie: Fair enough.

For the record, I am on a number of forums, and a moderator myself on a (ableit far-less-traveled) forum as well. This one has more off-topic warnings, moved or merged threads than all the others combined. As you say, conversations do wander, but when in a Volt thread for example, and someone mentions another EV, and the repsonse from a moderator is a chiding, schoolmarm-like reminder that "This is a thread about the Volt", it just serves to make the place a bit humorless.

To Doug: You call it meltdown, I call it a knee-jerk reaction to a comment suggesting my posts weren't appreciated. Call it an act of passion. I ask some questions sometimes from the responses I get because I don't know a lot about some of this stuff. Just trying to learn. How do we want to treat EV-curious people?

To TEG: Thanks, as always.

For those who have expressed interest, my pictures as before:

Attachments

• sevsemills1.JPG
    sevsemills1.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 204
  • sevseoasis3.JPG
    sevseoasis3.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 194
  • sevseoasis1.JPG
    sevseoasis1.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 196