Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV parking priority

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMHO, having the air and vacuum next to the CHAdeMO probably isn't such a bad thing.
Shared purpose space. People aren't supposed to stay in that spot for very long for any of those functions.

BTW, that CHAdeMO charger is an EFACEC QC50.
efacec2.jpg

We have one here locally at Stanford shopping center:
350Green Places DC Fast-Charger | Fleets Fuels ShowTimes Magazine
350Green-Efacec_fast_chargerPaloAlto1.jpg

350Green and Efacec Partner on Largest Order for Level 3 Fast Electric Vehicle Chargers - Electric Energy Online
Global technology manufactured in Gwinnett | Gwinnett Business Journal
(Portuguese company making a Japanese standard device for the US market. Gotta love global business practices.)

It is primarily used only to charge Mitsubishi i-MiEVs and Nissan LEAFs.
We might get more CHAdeMO capable vehicles in the future, but a high speed charging "format war" (like VHS vs BETA) may be emerging.
We haven't really seen any of the SAE DC chargers, or Tesla Superchargers deployed yet, but they are coming.

Last edited:
The party's over. It was great while it lasted and truly was a selling point, but I understand their economic decision. I just, as in yesterday, unsubscribed myself from a bunch of LAX cheap parking web sites as with the Roadster, my use of LAX was limited but with the Model S, I had already planned trips thinking of all the money I'd save in parking (okay, not really, but we were planning on parking in lot 1 or 6 for a few upcoming trips past March)!

The problem with free, is that you get d-bags like this who hog up infrastructure.

My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - LAX free parking (until 3/1), if you can get past a Volt

Also see the case of the Volt owner who parked their car overnight at Mitsubishi HQ riding their bike home to pick up free electrons which led to Mitsubishi blocking all access to the stations for a while.

I'm betting the Volt was unplugged by an earlier angry EV owner.

I was charging at a Nissan Dealership and one of the plugs was used by a Volt. I was there for a bit (no much around to go to) and the Volt owner waled up. He worked a few doors down and was regularly getting his fill in the morning there picking up his car at lunch.

I will agree that LAX should go full electric only.

The problem with free, is that you get d-bags like this who hog up infrastructure.
My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - LAX free parking (until 3/1), if you can get past a Volt
It is not that this d-bag is driving a Volt that is the problem is a societal breakdown in courtesy, at least in So Cal that is the problem and this just happened to manifest in this incident. It could have been a Roadster, Model S, Leaf, ActiveE, etc that was parked on the cable as well. Start noticing how many people park like this in shopping centers or how many people don't signal to lane change, etc. Or actually don't start noticing or it will drive you insane! Oops, time for my pill!

As for to plug in or not to plug in, I say, if you have a plug, you can plug in. I know it will be about what is a real EV or who REALLY needs the electrons. Next question will be who is going to police it? Maybe someone who doesn't want to buy gas in a Volt is more needy than a Model S who has 250 miles left of range? There are 3 sides to every story and the truth lies in between 2 of them.

The last question: If LAX is a long term (for those in the EV spots not paying for it) parking area, I'd venture a guess that most cars will be topped off well before their owner comes to fetch their car. That will leave others needing juice out in the cold should they need it. Even if you were to unplug the other guy, parking may be sparse for the cord to reach your car. While I did not want the 'party' of free parking to end, ending it will certainly free up a lot of charging for those making the drive for a drop off or pick-up or over nighter. Just looking for the silver lining! :wink:

It is not that this d-bag is driving a Volt that is the problem is a societal breakdown in courtesy, at least in So Cal that is the problem and this just happened to manifest in this incident. It could have been a Roadster, Model S, Leaf, ActiveE, etc that was parked on the cable as well. Start noticing how many people park like this in shopping centers or how many people don't signal to lane change, etc. Or actually don't start noticing or it will drive you insane! Oops, time for my pill!

As for to plug in or not to plug in, I say, if you have a plug, you can plug in.
I agree. I should have added to my post that while I used 2 Volts as my example, that was coincidental and just happened to be 2 cases I came across recently. I have also heard of LEAF owners abusing free charging at dealerships - leaving their car there all-day. I have nothing against the Volt - I think it's a great car and gets people on the EV bandwagon.

My point was that with free charging without other restrictions (for example, time-limits, parking while actively charging, etc), you will always get people who abuse the system and ruin it for others.

I think they should always charge something, even if it's only 50 cents an hour. That might not deter everyone but would keep people away who are just looking for free charging. Of course if comparable parking is by and they are really paying for the cheap parking then that doesn't help. All of the chargers here at $2/hour for the first hour then $1/hour for each additional hour. Definitely keeps people away as I never see people using them so probably too high..

Also see the case of the Volt owner who parked their car overnight at Mitsubishi HQ riding their bike home to pick up free electrons which led to Mitsubishi blocking all access to the stations for a while.

Another post from that forum:

I'm actually stranded at Mitsubishi right now as I write. Lo and behold - guess who just came up to me and asked when I would be done because all the other places are full. The silver volt chick. BTW ... I'm stranded here because the quick charger is on the fritz. So I got at least another 10 minutes before I can make it to South Orange County. I guess the girl knows all of the flak about staying overnight and she said she's not doing it anymore. Yes she's going to keep parking and bicycling home until they force her to stop. No it doesn't bother her that she may ice a full EV, when all the other spots are taken. After all ... and as she says ... first come first served. Oh well. That's just a side note. The main thing is the QC is down. Oh and leaving a black leaf hear - left by the owner and I hope they're not doing the same thing.

Are both of these Volts the same car?