Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV plate in Massachusetts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never had a EV, but out of curiosity, is there any benefit for getting a EV or EV plate in Mass? Does EV always have an EV plate? Any HOV lane use or parking meter benefit? Doubt that there's any benefit in Massachusetts ... Maybe my proper question is if there is any surcharge to get an EV Plate ... :wink:

There is really no major advantage, unfortunately, other than identification. As RDoc says, it might help avoid anyone questioning if your car should be where it is when it is parked in an EV space.
It would also help emergency responders instantly recognize that your car is electric in case of an accident.
And I suppose it has a certain cachet in that only EVs can have them. But in MA, EVs include hybrids, not only battery EVs.
I had hoped the EV plate might get us special privileges such as access to the HOV lane with no passengers, etc., but no such luck!

I like having it because people can see it's an EV - maybe have their eyes opened a bit or then notice that it's a Tesla. Have had EV plates on my Model S, front and back, for 3 years. And I will be putting them on my X due at the end of the month, front and back.

I like having it because people can see it's an EV - maybe have their eyes opened a bit or then notice that it's a Tesla. Have had EV plates on my Model S, front and back, for 3 years. And I will be putting them on my X due at the end of the month, front and back.
PeterK : Did Tesla get the EV plates for you or did you have to go and get them from the RMV ?

PeterK : Did Tesla get the EV plates for you or did you have to go and get them from the RMV ?

Three years ago with my S, I had to get the plates - and in addition to the registration fee, pay the sales tax at the RMV. This time Tesla takes care of plates and insurance, and charges the sales tax. I spoke to my DS the other day and he said they get plates in bulk - 50 or so at a time. They also have you input your insurance information in the MyTesla page so they can take care of that, and the amount due posted there includes the sales tax. I warned my insurance agent as soon as I had the VIN anyway, and gave her a heads-up this week about getting the car as soon as next week. Can't wait.

Thanks Peter ! I was hoping that Tesla would take care of the EV plates. I've got EV plates currently and wasting half a day at the RMV just to swap out plates is not something I was looking forward to.

There is really no major advantage, unfortunately, other than identification. As RDoc says, it might help avoid anyone questioning if your car should be where it is when it is parked in an EV space.
It would also help emergency responders instantly recognize that your car is electric in case of an accident.
And I suppose it has a certain cachet in that only EVs can have them. But in MA, EVs include hybrids, not only battery EVs.
I had hoped the EV plate might get us special privileges such as access to the HOV lane with no passengers, etc., but no such luck!
Hi David,
Is there anyways to personalize EV plate in MA?