Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV plates (Illinois)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone get EV (electric vehicle) plates in Illinois? They're not particularly attractive in the picture, but I guess there's some exclusivity. Also, does anyone know whether you *must* get these plates to qualify for the reduced registration fee--$18 per year instead of $99?

evplate.jpg

Anyone get EV (electric vehicle) plates in Illinois? They're not particularly attractive in the picture, but I guess there's some exclusivity. Also, does anyone know whether you *must* get these plates to qualify for the reduced registration fee--$18 per year instead of $99?

I'm getting them (still waiting on them after a month).

They're ONLY issued by Springfield, so it takes longer. No personalization allowed. The reduced rate only comes with the EV plates.

And yes, they're very exclusive. Only pure, electric-only vehicles (no hybrids, not even plug-ins!) can have them.

I'd sooner go with "vanity" plates. As I did. But that's me. $125 a year? To promote our passion?

I'm taking every possible bonus I can get. That $100/year savings will buy my CCI for the car over my initial 8 years or so. :)

I rather like the "plainer" plates over personalized passenger plates anyway -- the black contrast on the white plate is cleaner and fits the car's design, IMO. But to each his own.

Last edited:
Hey, FlasherZ - I think I saw that plate on an S that was jacked up at the Chicago Service Center when I was taking delivery Saturday. I'm getting the nondescript EV plates, too. I like the understated rarity.

Yes, that's my car. It was hauled up to Chicago last week to do some things the ranger couldn't do in my shop -- and the STL service center isn't ready yet. It's still there, likely coming home later this week or early next.

What needs to be repaired?

The car was shipped with a defective GPS antenna - the car always reported it was located in Menlo Park. The ranger disconnected the antenna up front and connected a new antenna module, at which point the GPS started working. So it points to either the GPS antenna module being defective, disconnected, or a defective harness from front-to-back. Replacing the GPS antenna (or even determining whether it's disconnected) requires that you remove the rear liftgate glass. It was easier to leave the GPS antenna under the dash temporarily and schedule a visit to the service center. Since the St. Louis center isn't quite ready, they scheduled a trip to Chicago.

While we were troubleshooting said GPS antenna problem, several of the body panel clips held a bit too tightly on the clip side and broke the back side, so they have to be replaced.

When pulling into a driveway, I heard a "pop" from the right front air suspension as the wheel went through the gutter. After this, the car began pulling to the right a bit, air suspension changes sometimes make grinding noises, and occasionally the car will throw a "suspension too high" error. At a minimum they're inspecting and doing an alignment.

I had 2 curb rash incidents... one resulted in a slight cut in the sidewall of the tire, so they're mounting a new tire and repairing wheel damage on 3 wheels.

and, if any of the parts are available, the parcel privacy shelf, the rear seats, or the spoiler... but those would be overdelivering. :)

I need to docusign my MVPA, it states a registration and titling fee of 194.00 for state of Illinois, I thought there was a discount for EV plates. Looking through the thread it seems like EV plates take few weeks after the delivery to be delivered, is the car delivered with temporary plates?, Thanks in advance

I need to docusign my MVPA, it states a registration and titling fee of 194.00 for state of Illinois, I thought there was a discount for EV plates. Looking through the thread it seems like EV plates take few weeks after the delivery to be delivered, is the car delivered with temporary plates?, Thanks in advance

They will recalculate your registration for EV plate discount if you tell them to. The car is delivered with temp tags.

The same thing occurred with me - after I told them that I wanted EV plates, they generated a new MVPA for me to sign. I filled out the paperwork at the time I picked up the car and they sent in the paperwork for me the next day. Bucket said (s)he got the plates in under a month; I'll see how long it takes for my plates to come.

I will have picked mine up 6 weeks ago this coming Saturday?

But.

I got a call from Springfield DMV last Thursday telling me that many of the plate application forms filled out in the last few weeks were delayed because Tesla had not indicated if they were to be EL plates or regular. Paperwork problems!

I then asked Diane when I should expect mine ... 3 to 4 days or middle of this week.

So that would be 6 weeks.