Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV plates (Illinois)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know for how long the temporary plates are good? Still waiting for the EL plates, but based on everyone's experience here, it looks like 6-8 weeks is the norm.....

I got my car on November 26, but my temp plate was good until end of March. I got my EL plates with plenty to spare, you'll be ok.

I will have picked mine up 6 weeks ago this coming Saturday?

But.

I got a call from Springfield DMV last Thursday telling me that many of the plate application forms filled out in the last few weeks were delayed because Tesla had not indicated if they were to be EL plates or regular. Paperwork problems!

I then asked Diane when I should expect mine ... 3 to 4 days or middle of this week.

So that would be 6 weeks.

I got my car on November 26, but my temp plate was good until end of March. I got my EL plates with plenty to spare, you'll be ok.

Thanks for the replies.

Robert, I took delivery 2 days before you, so I am hoping I'll get them about the same time....

Got my plates yesterday...
They look a lot better than the temporary yellow tags....

A lot better....

My rig is a Red Sox fan. Also used the J-bolts to attach the front plate.

2013-03-26 18.21.35.jpg
2013-03-26 18.21.58.jpg

And the rebate application is in the mail! Now, I just hurry up and wait until after July 1st for them to process it.

BTW: for you EV plate people, my registration states renewal before 12/31/13 at a cost of $113. Does this make sense? This is more than my regular plates! I thought registration for the EV plates was something like $38 for 2 years. Am I wrong or miss something here?

BTW: for you EV plate people, my registration states renewal before 12/31/13 at a cost of $113. Does this make sense? This is more than my regular plates! I thought registration for the EV plates was something like $38 for 2 years. Am I wrong or miss something here?

I just got a check for $120 from Tesla. I think it's because they charged me regular registration fees when I paid for my car in January. (However, there weren't any clues about what the check was for -- it was just a FedEx envelope with a check.) At pick-up, I vaguely noticed that Tesla didn't charge me the $19/year for EL plates that I was expecting, but I was too excited to ask the right questions.

I just called. Despite the fact that I picked up the car on February 7, Tesla didn't send the application in until this week-- or at least the state didn't receive it until three days ago. Yes, 7 weeks to send in my registration. So now it will be another 6 to 8 weeks to get the plates.

I have to say, I've been quite disappointed in Tesla's customer service.

Secretary of State
Vehicle Services Department
Special Plates Division, Rm. 541
501 S. Second St.
Springfield, IL 62756-5100
217-785-4175

sent via Tapatalk

I just got a check for $120 from Tesla. I think it's because they charged me regular registration fees when I paid for my car in January. (However, there weren't any clues about what the check was for -- it was just a FedEx envelope with a check.) At pick-up, I vaguely noticed that Tesla didn't charge me the $19/year for EL plates that I was expecting, but I was too excited to ask the right questions.

My original MVPA had standard plates on it, which you need if you want to put a personalized/vanity plate on it. I reminded my DS that I wanted electric plates and they had to regenerate the MVPA for me with that information. It's $18/year (actually $35 for two years) but the amount you pay depends on when you register, so it's probably difficult for Tesla to figure out. Registering now gets you a sticker until 12/13, then they charge you $35 for a sticker until 12/15.

My original MVPA had standard plates on it, which you need if you want to put a personalized/vanity plate on it. I reminded my DS that I wanted electric plates and they had to regenerate the MVPA for me with that information. It's $18/year (actually $35 for two years) but the amount you pay depends on when you register, so it's probably difficult for Tesla to figure out. Registering now gets you a sticker until 12/13, then they charge you $35 for a sticker until 12/15.

That's what I thought. I suppose I will do the online renewal as I usually do and then call if the renewal fee is incorrect.

Sent via Tapatalk.