Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV plates (Illinois)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This penalty got passed because it was tied up with a bunch of other fees. Hopefully it won't take too long for someone to introduce legislation specifically intended to incentivize people to drive electric cars. The fee doesn't have to go back to $35 for two years, but $250 a year is still ridiculous.
This is crooked Illinois- they will never reduce taxes here

• Love
Reactions: braoudap
Has anyone received the $251 per year renewal form from SOS? Given the 12/19 expiration for all the EL plates I figured I would have received by now. Got notice for regular ICE plates with 12/19 exp two week ago.

Last edited:
Listen, over time someone has to pay for the roads. As EV's become mainstream, the plate fee is the only way to deal with this. Don't get me wrong, I hate Illinois. But to divert the taxing model from gas to plates makes sense for EV's. Thank goodness the original 1K/year didn't go thru. That would have been a dagger for EV's in Illinois.

Reactions: HighZ
I just went to the site last week and ordered my renewal.
At what rate the old $35 for 2 years or the new $251 for 1 year? When does new sticker expire?

Talked to SOS today. They told me they have extended all EL plates to a 1/20 expiration. Also stated that new 2020 EL registration slips will be mailed in 12/19. Sounded to me like law allowing $251 fee does not go into place until 1/1/20--but with plates all tagged 12/19 they had problem in that with normal renewal they could only have charged the old $17.50 rate.

When I got my Tesla in April, I had to get regular Illinois plates. Can I apply for EV plates mid cycle to take advantage of the two year $35 fee? Hopeful? :)
The EV plates/tags aren't issued with a rolling 2 year expiration from the date of issuance. All of them expire at the same time regardless of when they were initially issued. So, you might be able to get new EV plates right now, but they would expire in 2 months and you'd have to renew in January at the new price.

I just received a registration card and a sticker good for one month! It came with a letter explaining the new annual fees and that they were giving me an extra month to ensure I could renew online.

Someone must have missed something at the SOS. EL plates used to last two years, so I am guessing my registration didn't trigger to renew in their system until someone figured it out too late to get renewed by the end of December. That had to have cost a lot of money to create and send out a sticker and card for just one month!

It looks like EL plates are now MANDATORY. For those who have a regular passenger plate, you might need to get an EL plate. Sucks for those who have vanity plates.
DED2853F-9BF9-4D97-B77C-E30F64E4AAC2.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Takumi
Takes some balls to write that nonsense: "The Secretary is extending your expiration...to ensure you have sufficient time to renew your plates..."

It's certainly not so they can make sure we don't all register at the lower rate before the fee officially changes.

Reactions: kvandivo
Sorry if this was discussed somewhere else, but would switching to vanity plates now be cheaper in IL? I dont think there are EL vanity plates so it seems we would only need to pay the personalized plate fees (Currently titled vehicle/first-time issuance - $148 ($101 registration fee + $47 personalized fee)

Sorry if this was discussed somewhere else, but would switching to vanity plates now be cheaper in IL? I dont think there are EL vanity plates so it seems we would only need to pay the personalized plate fees (Currently titled vehicle/first-time issuance - $148 ($101 registration fee + $47 personalized fee)
I don’t think you can get a vanity plate for your Tesla at all. As least until the SOS come up with a vanity EV plate. As stated in the letter, “All qualifying electric vehicles are required under the new law to obtain and maintain electric vehicle plates”. There’s no way to get around it.