Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV plates in MA for the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First - Congratulations!

Yes - unfortunately regulations require both front and rear plates here in Mass. While in the past you might have been able to run with just the rear plate and risk a citation, now you need both plates attached in order pass the annual safety inspection.

Yes - you can transfer non-EV plates to EV's. I don't think the EV plate conveys any special status at this point in Mass.

Yes - you need to have the car insured as part of registration. Tesla should be able to take care of this for you as part of the purchase process. They will work with your agent to get the necessary information to them to update your policy.

I know this was some time ago, but I wanted to let folks know that you will need special EV plates if you plan on taking advantage of the states EV free charging/parking stations. See link here Parking Rules and Policies | Parking | MBTA

• Informative
Reactions: EdA
I know this was some time ago, but I wanted to let folks know that you will need special EV plates if you plan on taking advantage of the states EV free charging/parking stations. See link here Parking Rules and Policies | Parking | MBTA

The T can place their lips somewhere unpleasant.

I'm not choosing an EV plate over a veteran plate. I'll be on all the local news channels if i ever get a ticket with my more-expensive-than-the-EV-plate plate.

Reactions: tga
this is what T's parking rules and policies say

Electric Vehicle Charging Stations
At some MBTA lots and garages, there are charging stations for electric vehicles (EVs) and plug-in hybrids. While charging your vehicle is free at these stations, you will still need to pay to park in the spot.

Most MBTA charging stations are managed by ChargePoint, and you will need a contactless card to use them. Please visit the ChargePoint website to sign up and find charging stations.

As a courtesy to other customers, please only use these spots while charging your vehicle. Cars parked in these spots that do not have EV registrations may be ticketed or towed.

Parking Rules and Policies | Parking | MBTA

Plug-it-in or ticket-it

Registration and EV plate do not matter. or we are talking about EV parking only spot without charging station?

Reactions: ModelNforNerd

At some MBTA lots and garages, there are charging stations for electric vehicles (EVs) and plug-in hybrids. While charging your vehicle is free at these stations, you will still need to pay to park in the spot.

Most MBTA charging stations are managed by ChargePoint, and you will need a contactless card to use them. Please visit the ChargePoint website to sign up and find charging stations.

As a courtesy to other customers, please only use these spots while charging your vehicle. Cars parked in these spots that do not have EV registrations may be ticketed or towed.

Plug-it-in or ticket-it

Registration and EV plate do not matter. or we are talking about EV parking only spot without charging station?
We're talking about the meaning of this sentence:
Cars parked in these spots that do not have EV registrations may be ticketed or towed.
What is an "EV registration?" Does that mean this same thing to MassDOT as other states' registries?

Plug-it-in or ticket-it

Sounds like the T is writing the rules before actually putting in chargers, great I guess.
As I said before, it's the registration, not the plate that counts. There are plenty of custom plates in mass.
It's the last line that really sums things up: Plug it in or ticket.

If your car's plugged in, you have nothing to worry about.
If it's not, you shouldn't be wasting the charging spot anyway.

Hey Guys,
Don't know how many of you are from or knowledgeable on the rules for electric vehicle registration in MA, but I have a couple questions:

1) I'm pretty sure it's required to have both front and rear license plates mounted on the Model 3 - can someone confirm? If so, I don't want to drill the front in so I'm going to have to find one of those ones that are fixed to the lower front grill

2) If I currently have a license plate thats non-EV, can I transfer that over when I hand in my old lease? Or do I need to apply for a new EV specific plate which means new license plate, etc.?

3) Do I need to get my insurance activated before registration?

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Congrats. Mostly accurate info so far.
1. Two required but my MS front bracket is double sided paint safe tape no drilling.
2. Cannot transfer a leased car plate. That is owned by the lease company.
3. EV plate is primarily to alert first responders to the presence of a high voltage current in the car.
4. Yes but they are done at the same time with RMV-1 form

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Sounds like the T is writing the rules before actually putting in chargers, great I guess.
As I said before, it's the registration, not the plate that counts. There are plenty of custom plates in mass.
It's the last line that really sums things up: Plug it in or ticket.

If your car's plugged in, you have nothing to worry about.
If it's not, you shouldn't be wasting the charging spot anyway.

The chargers have been in the wild for quite some time. There are multiple ones along the Fitchburg commuter rail line, as well as Alewife.

To me, it seems like the rule was written a while back, and when the state decided not to force anyone to get EV plates, the T neglected to update their rule.

Reactions: JWardell
The chargers have been in the wild for quite some time. There are multiple ones along the Fitchburg commuter rail line, as well as Alewife.
Alewife has had charging stations for a long time, maybe as long as a decade. Before they had Chargepoints, they had 120V oulets at the marked EV spaces on level 2.

The T can place their lips somewhere unpleasant.

I'm not choosing an EV plate over a veteran plate. I'll be on all the local news channels if i ever get a ticket with my more-expensive-than-the-EV-plate plate.
Me either. I have Fire Fighter plates, the extra money I pay on these plates goes to the Fallen Fighters fund. It’s a great cause and it’s really great to help the widows and children of fallen fire fighters.