Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV-Powershare, smart 240V splitter for dryer and EVSE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks,

For anyone looking to share their dryer circuit with their Tesla UMC, please check out a new solution that we have worked on called Ev-Powershare (EVPS)

EVPS is for EV owners whom have a dryer or any 240V appliance in their garage, enabling them to share that circuit with their EVSE. Visit www.ev-powershare.com to learn more.

We are curious to hear what receptacle configurations would you be interested in, and the price range you would be willing to pay for a smart splitter with extra safety features.

Appreciate the feedback and support!

It's a Dryer Buddy copy cat. Any patent issues?

First, I don't think assembling two sockets and a plug is a patentable device.
Second, it takes tens-of-thousands of dollars and several years to get an actual patent approved.
Third, DryerBuddy has a trademark designation of "TM", but it's not a registered trademark which would have a ® mark instead of a TM mark. All that means is that someone else can't make a product and call it "Dryer Buddy". It has no relevance on design or function of the device, just the trade name.
Fourth, any custom designed electronics in either device is automatically copyright the designers, so nobody can make a duplicate copy of the circuit boards and start selling them without permission or license of the originator. You can register the work for copyright, but it's automatically protected by the Berne Convention.
Finally, anyone could go out an build a device that looks and functions identically to DryerBuddy (as long as one doesn't copy the protected circuitry inside), and just call it DryerPal (TM), and there are no protections for DryerBuddy(TM) unless they have a design patent on the physical design of the device (which they do not).

Second, it takes tens-of-thousands of dollars and several years to get an actual patent approved.
Third, DryerBuddy has a trademark designation of "TM", but it's not a registered trademark which would have a ® mark instead of a TM mark. All that means is that someone else can't make a product and call it "Dryer Buddy". It has no relevance on design or function of the device, just the trade name.
Fourth, any custom designed electronics in either device is automatically copyright the designers, so nobody can make a duplicate copy of the circuit boards and start selling them without permission or license of the originator. You can register the work for copyright, but it's automatically protected by the Berne Convention.
Finally, anyone could go out an build a device that looks and functions identically to DryerBuddy (as long as one doesn't copy the protected circuitry inside), and just call it DryerPal (TM), and there are no protections for DryerBuddy(TM) unless they have a design patent on the physical design of the device (which they do not).

Hank, I wanted to chime in with some relevant info.

That's just a splitter and has been done already and is "obvious and not novel or unique" The devices discussed here automatically switch based upon the use of the master outlet, that's more unique.

That is correct and there is no guarantee they will grant the patent.

It is now, Dryer Buddy is now a registered trademark, I need to go through the entire site and update all the TM's to ®. YOu are correct, TM and ® protect a name not a device.

This is easy to get around as the copycats have done, you simple build the electrical circuit different but have it do the same function.

And this is what Herrick Hu ( Hezza8 ) has done, on December 10th 2018 he ordered a Dryer Buddy Plus AUTO #4 from BSA Electronics, many months before he came out with his "invention".

Interesting that Brad Apelgren felt that his relevant information is to accuse me of copying his product. Normally I don’t find the need to respond to a competitor, but since Brad personally called me out and talked like he owns this whole idea, then I will share some relevant information too.

This idea of power switching has been around of decades. Lots of subpanels with automatic transfer switching use the exact same mechanism. These subpanels were where we drew inspirations from. Hence these splitters are basically a stripped-down version of an auto switching sub panel. There is nothing novel or unique with the concept of this product. The only thing that patentable are all the combination of all the special accommodations we made inside unit that makes my product safer and more reliable.

Now I did order your product, originally hoping to just use it for myself. However the shopping experience, and the product itself left me so unsatisfied, that I had to give customers a better experience/product. I will give you credit for leaving so much to be desired that I was driven to make a difference.

1. I order a unit on Dec 2nd, and I didn’t receive the unit until Feb 22nd. That’s over 2 months… much longer than the build time he promised on his website. I contact Brad multiple times via email and on his facebook, never got a response. Eventually I found an address validator email that comes from a different domain, which got blocked by ISP’s spam filter, which allowed the order to go through. But throughout this entire time when I sought for updates, never got a response.

EV-Powershare has been able to ship on the same/next day! All customer requests will be responded to.

2. Now the product itself also left me unsatisfied.

a. There is no overcurrent protection, users would have to bet on the breakers in their electric panel to prevent a fire if they mistakenly drawing 40 amps or 50 amps on a 30 amps circuit.

b. The unit was very warm even while idling. The LED was burning hot all the time. The unit gets even hotter when charging. I never felt safe using it.​

EV-Powershare is designed and built differently. We have a built-in breaker for overcurrent protection that will pop much earlier than the breaker in the service panel. We are cool when idle, and about the same temperature as the EVSE when in use, nothing should be hot to touch. We focused on low heat generation and spared no expense to design and build a splitter that is safe and reliable.

Interesting that Brad Apelgren felt that his relevant information is to accuse me of copying his product. Normally I don’t find the need to respond to a competitor, but since Brad personally called me out and talked like he owns this whole idea, then I will share some relevant information too.

This idea of power switching has been around of decades. Lots of subpanels with automatic transfer switching use the exact same mechanism. These subpanels were where we drew inspirations from. Hence these splitters are basically a stripped-down version of an auto switching sub panel. There is nothing novel or unique with the concept of this product. The only thing that patentable are all the combination of all the special accommodations we made inside unit that makes my product safer and more reliable.

Now I did order your product, originally hoping to just use it for myself. However the shopping experience, and the product itself left me so unsatisfied, that I had to give customers a better experience/product. I will give you credit for leaving so much to be desired that I was driven to make a difference.

1. I order a unit on Dec 2nd, and I didn’t receive the unit until Feb 22nd. That’s over 2 months… much longer than the build time he promised on his website. I contact Brad multiple times via email and on his facebook, never got a response. Eventually I found an address validator email that comes from a different domain, which got blocked by ISP’s spam filter, which allowed the order to go through. But throughout this entire time when I sought for updates, never got a response.

EV-Powershare has been able to ship on the same/next day! All customer requests will be responded to.

a. There is no overcurrent protection, users would have to bet on the breakers in their electric panel to prevent a fire if they mistakenly drawing 40 amps or 50 amps on a 30 amps circuit.

b. The unit was very warm even while idling. The LED was burning hot all the time. The unit gets even hotter when charging. I never felt safe using it.​

EV-Powershare is designed and built differently. We have a built-in breaker for overcurrent protection that will pop much earlier than the breaker in the service panel. We are cool when idle, and about the same temperature as the EVSE when in use, nothing should be hot to touch. We focused on low heat generation and spared no expense to design and build a splitter that is safe and reliable.

Hi Herrick, you bring up some valid points I would like to address;

I don't claim a patent on this idea, just stating the fact that you did buy a Dryer Buddy from me which no one else offered at the time then came out with your copy many months later using the same model meter, outlets, a dryer cord ect, with language on your site formed to give the idea you invented it. It's not the the first time this has happened to me. This highlights one of the problems with the printed word in that inflection and tone are lost, It wasn't meant to be read as a statement of agitation.

The automatic transfer switching I have seen typically follows voltage for example when the grid drops it signals a generator to start, then after a short warm up delay the loads of the home are switched over to the generator, this is different than how the master outlet has current sensing on my Dryer Buddy and your unit to switch on and off a separate outlet.

If they granted you a patent on those things that's great, it's an expensive and long process, do you have a patent number?

Your too kind Herrick. :)

1. I order a unit on Dec 2nd, and I didn’t receive the unit until Feb 22nd. That’s over 2 months… much longer than the build time he promised on his website.

Order #2206 was placed on Dec 10th 2018 at 1:42pm for your Dryer Buddy Plus AUTO

I contact Brad multiple times via email and on his facebook, never got a response. Eventually I found an address validator email that comes from a different domain, which got blocked by ISP’s spam filter, which allowed the order to go through. But throughout this entire time when I sought for updates, never got a response.

I looked through my email records and I see you contacted me twice in February. I sent you a response email on February 12th, I'm not going to say that you're ignoring this fact to make me looks worse in the above statement because I do not trust Hotmail, I have had other customers say they've gotten some but not all of my emails, but then I get hundreds of customers who I am emailing with back and forth and there's no issue, so it's hard to say what happened here, this makes me even more frustrated if you in fact did not get this email as it was a very nicely worded email and explained what was going on why there was a delay. You deserved to get this update.

I looked at my Facebook business page in the message section and I see that you did message me on February 12th, I have found this the Facebook messenger system it's not a effective platform, I do not get notifications or emails from them to let me know when I have a message from them, perhaps it requires having a specific app on one's phone, either way having seen this it looks like you got let down you should have received better communication and for that Herrick I apologize, you deserved to get an update earlier than the 12th being a paying customer.

I see on your unit your using a european-style DIN rail mounted circuit breaker, we have some of those on hand and researched integrating one of those into the Dryer Buddy, the Europeans have different popular breaker sizes than the US, they have a nice size under 30 amps that you're using that is the same size we are looked at using as well.

b. The unit was very warm even while idling. The LED was burning hot all the time. The unit gets even hotter when charging. I never felt safe using it.

I am using high-quality 50 amp commercial grade contactors in both the Dryer Buddy Plus Auto, I use genuine Packard brand contactors that are used in large air conditioners, One of the reasons I use them is they are very durable and designed to open under full load without damage to their contacts.

When the contactor is closed it draws less than 4 Watts which is less than a child's night light so when idling it should only be slightly warm on the back of the case. The driving resistor for the LED is sized for less than 10 milliamps amps of current so yours should not have been hot certainly not burning hot. Unless you were exceeding the 24 amp continuous load (following per the NEC code 80% rule of thumb on a 30amp circuit) the unit would not have gotten as warm as you say, If you were that concerned I'm surprised you didn't contact me, I would have been happy to troubleshoot this with you on the phone, included in each purchase is my personal cell phone number on a thank you letter with several business cards.

I hand build each unit and take a lot of time to ensure a long-lasting reliable product, I then load test it on a actual electric vehicle, I'm proud my units are not mass-produced or made for me by anybody else, they're not made overseas, they're made right here in the United States.

I like your focus and agree safety is very important. It sounds like we are both passionate Tesla drivers, You seem like a smart and technical individual, If you would like to talk tech sometime give me a ring.

Cheers
Brad A.
BSA

• Informative
Reactions: ra88it
A pig tail cord, couple of outlets, a breaker built-in, and very occasionally a meter are all common standards for power strips. Everyone has those at home. It’s a no-brainer. Thus I am not going to take credit for being the “first” to have a breaker build into the power splitter, nor call anyone else for copying my idea, since it’s not really a new idea.

Yes my order was on Dec 10 after double checking, but it doesn’t change the fact that it was delivered over 2 months later. I would advice you move away from Hotmail, if you have seen these communication problems from others too.

I standby what was my experience with the product and it’s temperate. I didn’t bother contacting you again as I didn’t have a good experience contacting you via email/FB. Wasn’t worth my time sending more emails into the ether, also wasn’t aware of the name card with phone number on it, not in the habit of looking at those closely in this online information era. The product was built correctly as far as I can tell, thus I concluded it was a design limitation on the model at the time.

And Yes, I will be happy to take you up on your offer and give you a ring in the future. Feel free to DM me you phone number or submit a form from my website. Don’t think we should trust your email system

A pig tail cord, couple of outlets, a breaker built-in, and very occasionally a meter are all common standards for power strips. Everyone has those at home. It’s a no-brainer. Thus I am not going to take credit for being the “first” to have a breaker build into the power splitter, nor call anyone else for copying my idea, since it’s not really a new idea.

Yes my order was on Dec 10 after double checking, but it doesn’t change the fact that it was delivered over 2 months later. I would advice you move away from Hotmail, if you have seen these communication problems from others too.

I standby what was my experience with the product and it’s temperate. I didn’t bother contacting you again as I didn’t have a good experience contacting you via email/FB. Wasn’t worth my time sending more emails into the ether, also wasn’t aware of the name card with phone number on it, not in the habit of looking at those closely in this online information era. The product was built correctly as far as I can tell, thus I concluded it was a design limitation on the model at the time.

And Yes, I will be happy to take you up on your offer and give you a ring in the future. Feel free to DM me you phone number or submit a form from my website. Don’t think we should trust your email system

Hey Hessa - When are your devices going to be available for purchase again? Thanks.

I have one of these
Fast, Easy, and Smart Home EV Charging Installation | NeoCharge
I’ll be installing at our vacation property so we can charge our Y and S when we have both cars or one of our friends or family with a Tesla visit. It’s a beautifully engineered piece. Although I don’t yet have it installed, I think it’s the perfect solution to our needs. Two versions, the appliance sharing one and the dual car one which is what I have. Our panel can only handle 1 Nema 14-50 so this really helps us to solve our charging needs and saves us a lot of money to trying to set up two distinct charging circuits.

Reactions: elee888