Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV range extender trailers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: OxBrew
Here ya go.... Problem solved.

$45k for a teardrop trailer?

Hard pass.

I saw someone did a DIY for around $10k.

I might be willing to pony up for $20k for a nice teardrop, but $45 large is just too much. Maybe if they did one with a 20-30kWh battery instead it would make more sense.

Reactions: Darmie and WhiteWi

Hard pass.

I might be willing to pony up for $20k for a nice teardrop, but $45 large is just too much. Maybe if they did one with a 20-30kWh battery instead it would make more sense.
You and me both. Yes, I remember a good while back on one of Rich's YT videos with a battery pack trailer. I think it was just a flat bed type of trailer. I dont' remember if they were using a Tesla as the pulling vehicle. I don't think there would be a way to charge a Tesla while it's being driven. Now, the camping trailer would be a great idea to be charging the car while you are camping.

It would be nice if Rivian offered a secondary pack that can be added to the bed for towing purposes. Then there's the BMS, heating, cooling issues that may not make it plug and play.

Toyota Tundra with Super
You and me both. Yes, I remember a good while back on one of Rich's YT videos with a battery pack trailer. I think it was just a flat bed type of trailer. I dont' remember if they were using a Tesla as the pulling vehicle. I don't think there would be a way to charge a Tesla while it's being driven. Now, the camping trailer would be a great idea to be charging the car while you are camping.

It would be nice if Rivian offered a secondary pack that can be added to the bed for towing purposes. Then there's the BMS, heating, cooling issues that may not make it plug and play.

The guy that did it is James Klafehn. He has a Rav4ev. Basically Tesla built Rav4. He made the camper trailer with another Rev4EV battery and BMS. He modified Rav4 to take power from trailer when moving.

He also did that with a Tesla Model X until he ran into a lot of Tesla quality issues that he lemon law it.

He converted the flat bed into a teardrop and moved it to a Model X.

This first video shows a lot of the stuff he did to make this thing work. In the beginning, you see the end, built up trailer, then he meets up with another Rich rebuilds and shows him how he did the base trailer.

In this later video he’s using the trailer on doing a range test on a Model X with the trailer built up as a camping teardrop.

This is pretty awesome. Seems to do a lot better than what I’d figured. He’s pretty smart about keeping the profile of the trailer low and in the slipstream of the cars.

Reactions: Darmie

Hard pass.

It’s a lot for such a small trailer but I would pay more than that for a slightly larger and more functional trailer (with full kitchen and bath inside) that powered itself while being towed, like this one from Dethleff’s that will be coming to the market in Germany and hopefully elsewhere Towing with an EV: Are electric trailers the future?

Reactions: Ogre and OxBrew
U.S. Congress should advance laws to make these ideas easier by standardizing. That will promote EV adaption. Would like to buy an EV with 200 or so mile range, then be able to get a trailer that will extend range for twice per year long trips.