Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"ev rate" [is a regular rate or time of use rate generally better?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i get that this answer might depend on individual households. but generally speaking, for us average people.... what's better - the "default service" rate... or picking the "ev rate" which has peak and off peak rates.... ?

IMG_0529.png

i get that this answer might depend on individual households

That is the answer right there. There is no such thing as "generally speaking, which is better" on something like this. It will depend ENTIRELY 100% on whether you can shift YOUR specific homes electrical usage out of the time of use period to other times.

There is no way at all to generalize that, so any discussion of "what is generally better" starts from a false premise.

Also, in your screenshot, your rates are so low that it kind of doesnt matter.

i get that this answer might depend on individual households. but generally speaking, for us average people.... what's better - the "default service" rate... or picking the "ev rate" which has peak and off peak rates.... ?

If you charge a lot like lots of driving or multiple EV cars..., cheaper off peaks may be better. If you don't then stay with the default rate.

Reactions: lasttourist
Do you have a smart meter and if so, can you download your detailed consumption history from your utility?
If you have detailed consumption history you can use a spreadsheet to calculate whether it's better.

It depends on your usage pattern.
For off-peak v peak you'd need 65% off peak to break even.
You can think of a super-off-peak hour as 72.3% of off-peak when calculating.
It doesn't look too bad if you're doing significant PEV miles _and_ don't have too much daytime HVAC load.

Also, is that pricing 7 days per week, or different at weekends and holidays?
Is there an additional monthly fee?
Do you have a link to the full tariff information?

Download the free OptiWatt app and use it to collect data for exactly how much electricity your car is consuming over a month.

Then using your next bill, subtract that many kWh from the total kWh. I would assume that about 66% of your electricity usage probably happens in the peak time frame (the electric company isn't dumb, they picked that time range for a good reason), so multiply that times 9.01 cents per kWh. Multiply the remaining 34% times 3.54 cents. Finally multiply the amount Optiwatt tells you your car used times 2.56 cents per kWh.

Compare the above cost to the total kWH on your bill times the 5.46 cents per kWH and see what the difference is. That will give you a ballpark idea if you are saving money, spending more money, or it's a wash.

The tricky part is, this is only data for one month. Your electricity usage in July is probably a lot higher than in October. You didn't mention whether or not that 5.46 cents per kWH is all year long. Here in GA we have one default higher rate for the 4 summer months, and a lower default rate for the remaining 8 non-summer months.

View attachment 724008
I got this same notice from Duquesne Light about 2 weeks ago. Just last week we became an EV-only household (Model Y and Bolt EV), so I'm going to have to go through a couple of months of data from DL and compare it to last year during the same period. While I do drive a good distance each week for work, my wife and I do most of our work at home during the day. That is why I'm not sure we'd save money due to the 8-hour peak rate being double the current "flat" rate. It's going to take some work and patience, but I hope to come to a conclusion by 2022.

You have to treat time-of-use plans like a game. The power company makes money if you make a mistake, you save money if you don’t make mistakes. If you can make (and maintain) some minor modifications to your lifestyle, you can come out ahead.

As an example, my electric water heater and pool pump are on timers so they don’t use power during prime time, my Tesla uses scheduled charging for the same reason. We’re pretty successful at remembering to not use the electric dryer during prime time. We have a smart thermostat that changes the temp during prime time to reduce HVAC usage. Every month that we lose the game, I add something different so we won’t lose next month. After awhile, you’re winning almost every month.
But, if you don’t play the game well, you’ll lose every month.

You have to treat time-of-use plans like a game. The power company makes money if you make a mistake, you save money if you don’t make mistakes. If you can make (and maintain) some minor modifications to your lifestyle, you can come out ahead.

As an example, my electric water heater and pool pump are on timers so they don’t use power during prime time, my Tesla uses scheduled charging for the same reason. We’re pretty successful at remembering to not use the electric dryer during prime time. We have a smart thermostat that changes the temp during prime time to reduce HVAC usage. Every month that we lose the game, I add something different so we won’t lose next month. After awhile, you’re winning almost every month.
But, if you don’t play the game well, you’ll lose every month.

Or you get solar + some form of home battery storage, to ensure you "win" that game that way (but the cost of that infrastructure upgrade usually takes a while to recoup... years if you live someplace like CA with our electricity rates, or "basically never" if you live somewhere that has the rates this OP does.