Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Rebates may be returning soon including Tesla based off current administrations package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These tax credits are not designed to "help out" either rich or poor people. They are designed to incentivize car shoppers to purchase an EV over ICE. Getting rid of polluting gas/diesel burners is the intent.
Yeah I know this is a crazy concept, but if you actually lower the cost of EVs compared to ICE cars for customers, they will actually buy the EVs vs the ICE. So limiting the rebate to lower cost EVs will force manufacture to bring down cost and encourage more EVs. Keep it for the expensive EVs? Well that will just encourage the manufacture to just raise the price by the rebate to extract the most margin and keeping EVs expensive compared to ICE which they are currently.

Reactions: AMPd
Just an FYI, I've seen a purchase agreement for a Plaid S and Tesla lists it at $64,990 and notes the Plaid option at $55,000. My guess is this is Tesla's way of circumventing the $80k cap price so anyone buying any Tesla is eligible for this tax credit if it goes through.

Just an FYI, I've seen a purchase agreement for a Plaid S and Tesla lists it at $64,990 and notes the Plaid option at $55,000. My guess is this is Tesla's way of circumventing the $80k cap price so anyone buying any Tesla is eligible for this tax credit if it goes through.

Tesla was doing that sort of thing years ago when there was no retail price maximum regarding federal EV credits e.g., in 2016, "P100D" was sometimes listed as a $68,500 option over the "Standard Vehicle Price" of $66,000 instead of listing the P100D base price as $134,500.

Besides, isn't the proposed $80k limit on the total MSRP and not just the "base price"??

Yeah I know this is a crazy concept, but if you actually lower the cost of EVs compared to ICE cars for customers, they will actually buy the EVs vs the ICE. So limiting the rebate to lower cost EVs will force manufacture to bring down cost and encourage more EVs. Keep it for the expensive EVs? Well that will just encourage the manufacture to just raise the price by the rebate to extract the most margin and keeping EVs expensive compared to ICE which they are currently.
Your statement is true if there is no competition from ICE. There are lots for ICE in 100K range for EVs to compete with.

Nope. That’s not how the tax credit works. It is based on the total cost of the vehicle.

036B5FA3-729B-4176-8A86-E8113C8AB412.jpeg