Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV rental from Avis (Christchurch)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks, has anyone rented a Model 3 from Avis NZ?

I’ve been on the phone with their call centre a few times now and nobody seems to know:

- if the cars come with a charging cable
- if I can use the superchargers
- if i need to use my own chargenet account

Any advice and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Reactions: Audietron
Hi folks, has anyone rented a Model 3 from Avis NZ?

I’ve been on the phone with their call centre a few times now and nobody seems to know:

- if the cars come with a charging cable
- if I can use the superchargers
- if i need to use my own chargenet account

Any advice and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Booked but mostly on day trips so never bother to check or charge.

Reactions: m3lol
I gave up trying and got a full size SUV for less than half the price.

$1300ish for the Model 3 before any insurance upgrades vs $526 all-in $0 excess. I’m sure i won’t use up $800 worth of petrol in 4 days.

Maybe next time!
I always go for Kia Sportage, recent model... got active steering assistant, lane assist, cameras, collision detection etc all there as standard and reasonable space and price.

In rental market (and in Tesla circles) Tesla’s are still treated as status symbol, like some Ferrari... when they aren't... but treatment and lack of information is still like we are renting Ferrari 🙄🤦

I only had tesla as rental because I wasn't paying for it.
If I was paying, I wouldn't go hertz and go rental tesla from go rental or some other local companies

It depends how far in advance you book, as the Model 3 is probably a popular option. As an example, if I select a date a month from now the Model 3 option for 5 days is $779 and the full-size SUV option is $911. The "intermediate electric" (Kona EV is listed as an example) is $639. The cheapest option is a compact hatch for $568

Its a shame they so are expensive to rent, they are not that expensive for them to buy. Cashing in somewhat
Perception is a funny thing. I was at the lake at the weekend when this car was being photographed for sale

and a bystander was ogling it, saying how much he wanted it. I said to him, wouldn't you rather have the model y (which you can see parked in the background). His response was that he could never afford a tesla! When in fact the new model y is ~$70k and this 2-year-old etron is $30k more.

Yeah tesla do have a perception for being expensive but a large high end audi suv doesnt..???
Most high end used Audi sold in NZ are 5-7 years after huge depreciation in price... so buying a 200-300K car for 30-60K looks much lucrative to most...

Sadly this makes them think that even 2-4 year old Audi will be that cheap...

Other end, Tesla got very few luxury and moving parts compared to most combustion engine luxury Audi, so price depreciation is not much... plus at Trademe people asking more than brand new car price for their used Tesla creates phobia that all Tesla’s are unaffordable.

It depends how far in advance you book, as the Model 3 is probably a popular option. As an example, if I select a date a month from now the Model 3 option for 5 days is $779 and the full-size SUV option is $911. The "intermediate electric" (Kona EV is listed as an example) is $639. The cheapest option is a compact hatch for $568

Its probably the time of the year i am booking - a week out before Christmas.

I didn’t mind the price, just the lack of information.

I think it's a lot to do with the price on the S and the X which equates to the perceived price on all Tesla to the uninformed
Most people see a 3 or a Y and only see Tesla and think big $$$ because of the S/X, and FUD they want to believe
They have to be interested in doing some research or ask questions if the owner
is around, or know someone who has one.

Then again 70K + is a still a fortune to spend on car....if only I'd brought shares instead 🤑

• Funny
I think it's a lot to do with the price on the S and the X which equates to the perceived price on all Tesla to the uninformed
Most people see a 3 or a Y and only see Tesla and think big $$$ because of the S/X, and FUD they want to believe
They have to be interested in doing some research or ask questions if the owner
is around, or know someone who has one.

Then again 70K + is a still a fortune to spend on car....if only I'd brought shares instead 🤑
It's plain ignorance from some people... too lazy or scared to find out facts and assuming things I guess.

I think some people don't want to know, they want to believe Tesla's are only for ultra rich
tree hugging, golf cart driving, latte sipping wanna be eco warrior

I've told people how much my car was, it's not one of the expensive Tesla's and I could see the look of disbelief, yeh right look in their eyes
You rich Tesla owning smug bastard

Yeh that's right I am a smug Tesla owning bastard, it's true I can drive more than 100Km AHAHAHAHA!

• Funny
I think some people don't want to know, they want to believe Tesla's are only for ultra rich
tree hugging, golf cart driving, latte sipping wanna be eco warrior

I've told people how much my car was, it's not one of the expensive Tesla's and I could see the look of disbelief, yeh right look in their eyes
You rich Tesla owning smug bastard

Yeh that's right I am a smug Tesla owning bastard, it's true I can drive more than 100Km AHAHAHAHA!
Don't forget to say... I can keep my hands to myself in traffic and relax 😌

• Funny
Reactions: Ecoli
That's for when I'm feeling the need extra hit of Tesla Smugness
I'll also hit them with summoning the car if feel like rubbing it in

Begone you peasant, you have to walk to you car AHAHAHAH!
I would never do summon AGAIN....
Did once to showoff to family at New Market Westfield parking.... car crawls to mid of driveway over 5 minutes before just being stuck there and building up traffic in parking lot.... real hell and humiliation 🤪

That's why you only tell them about it and don't demo it

Rules of Summon club
Rule 1 talk about summoning do not demo
Rule 2 talk about summoning DO NOT DEMO
Rule 3 If someone says "stop" or or the car goes in limp mode, summoning is over
Rule 4 Only two attempts to a summon
Rule 5 One Summon at a time
Rule 6 Shirts and shoes optional
Rule 7 Summoning will go on as long as it has to.
Rule 8 If this is your first summoning at Summon Club, you HAVE to summon.

• Funny