TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

EV rentals in Phoenix

Discussion in 'Mountain/Southwest' started by dsm363, Mar 28, 2014.

1. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Does anyone know if one of the rental companies rents the Nissan Leaf or Chevy Volt? I find stories from 2 years about about Enterprise and Hertz offering them in Phoenix but when I call they can't find them. They must have gotten rid of them but thought someone might know of an EV rental in the area. I'm pretty sure a Model S is out of the question if the others aren't available and Hertz charges way too much anyway. Thanks.

2. dsm363

Found Enterprise in Tempe. Turns out they have only one left and they've sold all the rest of them. I wonder if all the issues with heat and the Leaf caused people to stop renting them.

3. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

It would appear that Enterprise added a few EVs to their fleet for the publicity then quickly sold them off... they're pathetic...

4. dsm363

Yeah. That's what they told me. This appears to be the last one they have left. Too bad really. I would think they could add the Volt in its place since that might be accepted by more people renting cars but again only seats four.

5. jomo25

jomo25 Active Member

The Enterpirse right down the street from the Tesla SvC in Scottsdale has a Leaf.

6. dsm363

#6 dsm363, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
    Thanks. I have the one from reserved is in Tempe which I think is closer to the airport but if that falls through I'll call them. Appreciate it.

7. dsm363

The Scottsdale location apparently has two Model Ss for rent according the the airport enterprise location. I couldn't confirm since they were closed.

8. shrink

shrink Supporting Member

9. dsm363

Took a $30 cab ride out to Tempe to pick up Leaf. I told them my flight landed at 5:40PM and they didn't even bother to mention they closed at 6 so when I got there at 6:15 they were closed. I could see the leaf sitting there plugged in but had to get another cab ride back to airport just to rent a Prius. The beeping the Prius makes in reverse was enough to make me to never consider that car unless I can help it.

Why airport rentals don't carry the Volt is tough to understand. Would make a great rental for short distance driving and using little to no gas.