Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The final cut of the 9th episode of the Tesla Motors Club Podcast, featuring Chad Schwitters, the former president of Plug In America, is now available. You can watch it now on YouTube or listen to it on all major podcast networks.

EV Road Trip: Stopping-Time Poll

How much time do you like to take to drive a road trip that Google Maps says will take 10 hours?

• < 10 hours (if the police don't catch me)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • About 10 hours (I just like to drive)

• About 11 hours (I'll stop to eat & use the bathroom, but keep it to a minimum)

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • About 12 hours (I'll stop to rest, eat, & use the bathroom)

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • About 13 hours (I take my time)

• About 14 hours (world's biggest ball of string? I've got to see it!)

• > 1 day (10 hours driving? Not in one day for me!)

• Total voters

srs5694

Jan 15, 2019
Woonsocket, RI
Several recent threads have made me curious about peoples' road-trip habits. The question: Given enough EV range or a fast enough charging time, how much time would you spend stopped on a long road trip -- say, something that involves ten hours of driving (actual on-the-road, wheels-spinning drive time)? Extra time could be spent eating, using the bathroom, walking a dog, tending to antsy children, napping, or whatever you would do on a road trip when not actually driving. This is of course relevant for deciding what type of EV to get, or if an EV would work at all -- will you need something that charges faster than a Model 3 LR RWD (in miles of range per hour of charging) to be happy, or would a Chevy Bolt's 50 kW charge rate be adequate? My question uses a 10-hour drive time as an arbitrary figure. The question assumes good travel conditions; no blizzards, traffic jams, etc., just an open road and adequate infrastructure to charge (or otherwise fuel up) as quickly as you like.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC