Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV-Specific Satnav Technology

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Nik

Got there eventually :-)
Jan 18, 2011
Cambridge, UK
A comment about range-estimation software being mislead by prolonged changes in elevation (http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/3093-Nissan-Leaf?p=62302#post62302) lead me to thinking about how navigation technology could link in to range estimation software.

If I have a route that is 100 miles on the motorway at 80MPH followed by 20 miles on a slower road at a steady 50, the satnav ought to be able to tell the car that it expects my power usage to drop, rather than it assuming I'll continue to use the higher power. Similarly, if I've told it that I have to climb and then descencd a large hill, it ought to be able to cope.

One could also imaging having metadata in a sat-nav that described the road surface characteristics if this signficantly affected range. If all EVs shared speed, power and location usage, it ought to be possible to compile a database of road resistance that could be used.

Satnavs already calcualte 'economical route' based on ICE-specific algorithms, we just need an app to do it for EVs. What other information would we need to do this?

What else would we need in the way of EV-specific navigation software? Routing via charge points and booking ahead via the web I have heard of before, but what else might there be?

A comment about range-estimation software being mislead by prolonged changes in elevation (http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/3093-Nissan-Leaf?p=62302#post62302) lead me to thinking about how navigation technology could link in to range estimation software.

If I have a route that is 100 miles on the motorway at 80MPH followed by 20 miles on a slower road at a steady 50, the satnav ought to be able to tell the car that it expects my power usage to drop, rather than it assuming I'll continue to use the higher power. Similarly, if I've told it that I have to climb and then descencd a large hill, it ought to be able to cope.

One could also imaging having metadata in a sat-nav that described the road surface characteristics if this signficantly affected range. If all EVs shared speed, power and location usage, it ought to be possible to compile a database of road resistance that could be used.

Satnavs already calcualte 'economical route' based on ICE-specific algorithms, we just need an app to do it for EVs. What other information would we need to do this?

What else would we need in the way of EV-specific navigation software? Routing via charge points and booking ahead via the web I have heard of before, but what else might there be?

I proposed his type of system a year or so ago. Can't find the thread but I also mentioned that even if the system is not "smart from the factory" (better) maybe it could "learn" your routes via GPS and data gathered. The future estimates could be better.

It is nice to believe that since we both came up with the idea independently that someone is out there working on it but alas, the LEAF charge readouts show that manufactures still have a lot to learn from people who drive EVs every day.

Also can the rain sensor for the car's autowindshieldwipers add in range degradation as well?