Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Subsidies are proposed in NZ for 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The government has finally announced a plan for subsidies that will replace the current RUC exemption, and the Model 3 Standard Range Plus is included Government scheme could slash prices on cleaner cars, and make dirtier cars more expensive

At current prices, the SR+ will drop to $66k, which is going to leave a big gap between the next model up, the Performance model at $94k. There's plenty of time for something to be done about that but hopefully it means Tesla might fill the gap with something like the LR RWD(or AWD).

It does create a bit of a predicament though - buy the Model 3 now at full price or wait a year and a half and get it cheaper.

Surely a "coal hugging moron" would want more EVs to create more demand for electricity to save old coal power stations from closing.

Is anybody interested in forming a group to offer cheap leases on Model 3s in return for getting the cars back at the end of the lease? Obviously this will only be viable if the cars can become RoboTaxis by the end of the lease period, but this gives >3 years for Elon time slippage.

Elon's latest tweet "To be clear, consumers will still be able to buy a Tesla, but the clearing price will rise significantly, as a fully autonomous car that can function as a robotaxi is several times more valuable than a non-autonomous car."

The government has finally announced a plan for subsidies that will replace the current RUC exemption, and the Model 3 Standard Range Plus is included Government scheme could slash prices on cleaner cars, and make dirtier cars more expensive

At current prices, the SR+ will drop to $66k, which is going to leave a big gap between the next model up, the Performance model at $94k. There's plenty of time for something to be done about that but hopefully it means Tesla might fill the gap with something like the LR RWD(or AWD).

It does create a bit of a predicament though - buy the Model 3 now at full price or wait a year and a half and get it cheaper.
Thanks for posting that Matt.

My advice to you is don’t wait - based on the level of vitriol directed towards the proposed policy it won’t happen. The level of retardation of most of the comments on Stuff was quite something to behold and made me despair to be a New Zealander.

The government is simply trying to govern - incentivising certain behaviours and charting a path to a more sustainable future. I kinda get that “governing” is a new concept for most kiwis, who got used to a decade of do-nothing govt under his eminent worshipfulness John Key.

Frankly it’s a national shame that we have no emissions standards and people see this situation as normal and right.

People hate being told which vehicle to drive and it has just raised the level of anger directed at anyone who dares challenge the petrolhead/SUV/Ute culture in NZ.

Buy what you can afford today and enjoy the benefits of it while most others seethe and moan about EVs, oil companies and our degrading natural environment.

Ugh, sorry - rant off.

I was planning on getting a P3D- so it's not really my predicament but will be something anyone considering the SR+ is going to have to think about.

The Stuff comments on anything is generally pretty terrible...and anything talking about EVs really pulls out the old mates wanting to have a whinge lol.

New Zealand proposes discounts for cleaner cars, slaps new fee on gas guzzlers - Reuters

Quote from article:

New Zealand said on Tuesday that it plans to slash prices for electric, hybrid and fuel efficient vehicles and penalize gas guzzling cars with a new fee, as it looks to make greener cars more affordable.

The plans, however, were criticized by environmentalists who said the penalty would only apply to new cars and newly imported used cars, and the sums were not significant enough to stop New Zealanders from buying polluting cars.

The government is proposing discounts of up to NZ$8,000 ($5,300) for zero-emission new vehicles and a fee of up to NZ$3,000 for new vehicles that emit in excess 250 grams of carbon dioxide per kilometer (CO2/km). The scheme would begin in 2021.

Thanks for posting that Matt.

My advice to you is don’t wait - based on the level of vitriol directed towards the proposed policy it won’t happen. The level of retardation of most of the comments on Stuff was quite something to behold and made me despair to be a New Zealander.

The government is simply trying to govern - incentivising certain behaviours and charting a path to a more sustainable future. I kinda get that “governing” is a new concept for most kiwis, who got used to a decade of do-nothing govt under his eminent worshipfulness John Key.

Frankly it’s a national shame that we have no emissions standards and people see this situation as normal and right.

People hate being told which vehicle to drive and it has just raised the level of anger directed at anyone who dares challenge the petrolhead/SUV/Ute culture in NZ.

Buy what you can afford today and enjoy the benefits of it while most others seethe and moan about EVs, oil companies and our degrading natural environment.

Ugh, sorry - rant off.
Don’t worry, you arent alone. The comments in australian media during our election were hideous. Completely uninformed and clearly very scared of change. Indeed governments have no choice but to make the EV rollout happen before mainstream manufacturers cease producing fossil engines. No-one is going to keep fossil engines on the production line in 20 years time for the miniscule aust and nz markets.

Sounds like a good scheme.

I am keeping my order.
You only live once and could wait forever for the 'perfect time'.
I have been waiting for my Model 3 since April 2016.
The New Zealand proposal is at least a step in the right direction. Sorry that Australia is apparently not making any steps to incentivize EV sales.

I was in Auckland last week and spoke to the staff in the Tesla Showroom, asked when the first 3s were arriving. They said “very soon”, which I interpreted as “We don’t know yet”. ;) But hopefully it will be in a month or two. The showroom had a Model 3 on display but it was LHD.

I hope that when I return to NZ in the a few years I will be able to rent a 3!

The New Zealand proposal is at least a step in the right direction. Sorry that Australia is apparently not making any steps to incentivize EV sales.

I was in Auckland last week and spoke to the staff in the Tesla Showroom, asked when the first 3s were arriving. They said “very soon”, which I interpreted as “We don’t know yet”. ;) But hopefully it will be in a month or two. The showroom had a Model 3 on display but it was LHD.

I hope that when I return to NZ in the a few years I will be able to rent a 3!
We're used to being ahead of Australia ;)

Hope you had a good time when you were over here!

I'm the same as you mate. Keeping my order. Besides Tesla's prices seem to go up and down all the time and who knows what they will be in 2021 when this "proposed" law comes in, and by that time perhaps National will be back in and decide to scrap the law.

I am keeping my order.

I am keeping my order.
I thought briefly about waiting
I thought about all the $$ I'd be spending on petrol
I thought about 2 years is a nearly a life time in government...any thing can happen
I thought about driving Model 3

Order complete YES!

Reactions: RobDickinson