Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Tariff conundrum

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m just wanting to gauge what people think on here regarding my conundrum?
I’m currently on a fixed tariff with SSE which is 16p/kw day and night. It’s a standard non EV tariff, which ends in May 2022.
Do I wait until nearer the time and enjoy the 16p/kw for the next few months, or do I jump to octopus go now (or some another EV tariff) and pay more, but lock in the current rates for the next 12 months?
Obviously I’m well aware of the massive increases that will happen in April. And the likelihood of octopus increasing their prices!
What are your thoughts?

I’m currently on a fixed tariff with SSE which is 16p/kw day and night. It’s a standard non EV tariff, which ends in May 2022.
Do I wait until nearer the time and enjoy the 16p/kw for the next few months, or do I jump to octopus go now (or some another EV tariff) and pay more, but lock in the current rates for the next 12 months?
Obviously I’m well aware of the massive increases that will happen in April. And the likelihood of octopus increasing their prices!
What are your thoughts?
It all depends on how much you can shift your electric consumptoon to within the off peak period.

The new Go peak rate is 31p a KWh, over double your current rate. You’d need to really max out your off peak four hour slot to get benefit from the 7.5p KWh rate.

If it were me, I’d probably stick with the 16p rate until May.

Reactions: NewbieT
What are your thoughts?
If it were me I would grab the Octopus rate. I think it will look reasonable after April and if not there are no exit fees.
I am on Octopus and 42% of my usage is on off peak so I would pay about 20p per kwh on average on their current rates which is less than you will find on a flat rate when your deal runs out in May. Double what I am paying now though :(

Are Octopus even taking new customers? From the website it doesn't seem like it.
legally they cannot refuse to take on new customers but they are not making it easy since they lose money on every one right now hence removing the ability to do it on the website. Would not be surprised if there is a long wait on the phone as well.
However they do not have to offer you anything other than the price cap rate so no guarantee they will let any new customers on go. In fact if you say that's why you are joining they will probably tell you its not available just to put you off.

I'm in a similar position, except I'm already with Octopus on their 'Go' tariff.

Currently paying 5p off-peak and 13.72p at peak rate... up until 27th May 2022

Problem is... at the end of May our Solar Array will be at full swing through to October...

So do I jump onto their new rates before April, or wait until after April... when the rates will be pretty meaningless anyway until October.

I suppose it doesn't really matter if I do it early as it'll lock in the cheaper price through Winter to next Summer... April 2023