Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Tariff without a Smart Meter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I had seen a thread that covered this subject, but cannot find it. Apologies if there is one.

Is there an EV tariff that does not require a Smart Meter?

I specifically moved my Electricity to Octopus to use their Agile or Go Tariff, but they have spent months getting around to installing a SMETS2 meter (I have a SMETS1 installed by Scottish Power, but that doesn’t work with Octopus).

With the wonders of Covid-19 they have no idea when they can install a meter (even though my meter is on the outside of my garage, so no social distancing issues).

I have pretty much given up on Octopus and wondered if there are any options, without joining another providers smart meter queue?

Barry

Octopus says on their website that smart meter installs are on hold. You can register your interest if you have an account. Log in and go to the new dashboard, it’s on there (even though I already have a smart meter)

EDF GoElectric, you can get on their Single rate (11.88p kWh all day/night) without a Smart Meter. I’ve just done it, and when they get round to upgrading my SMETS1 to 2, I can go on their 2 rate (8p kWh off-peak).

Last edited:
I just used Money Saving Expert Energy Club to do a comparison and with a bit of spreadsheet maths worked out which was cheaper overall, once the standing rates had been included.
Now pay 11.387p/ kWh and 20p / day with Green, in the Lincolnshire area.