Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV tariff

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!

I’m thinking of chanting to a cheaper nighttime electricity tariff but in order to make the cost comparison, I need to know how many units have been used on my car so far. Does anyone know how to do this? I assume I need to find total kWh used so far by my car? Is that possible?

Thanks!

TeslaFi will log that for you, but TeslaFi (and others like it) will only do that from when you register, not retrospectively. (If you want to do a Trial ask someone for a referral code, that will increase Trial from 2 weeks to a month).

Model 3 = Approx 4 miles per kWh, MS = Approx 3 miles per kWh - might that do for your maths?

For the purposes of your energy use, you know your total miles, and you can look at the average Wh per mile the car consumes.

So if you’ve done 5000 miles, and your average consumption is 300Wh/mile, your total power use is 5000 x 0.3 = 1500kWh.

Another way to look at it is to look at the rate you currently use to charge your car - say if you’re paying 9p per unit off peak at the moment, and you were to move to 5p a unit, your cost is reducing by 45%. You also need to look at daytime rates and the standing charge to see if they’re competitive to what you’re already paying.

When I moved to Octopus GO all the rates were cheaper than my previous supplier - peak and off-peak power, gas, and standing charges.

I’ve sent you a PM with a link to join Octopus, if that’s what you decide to do. We both get a £50 bill credit. Any questions about Octopus feel free to PM me.

This (rather long) thread is also worth a look:

[URL="https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/3930769/"]UK Electricity Tariffs for EVs[/URL]

Reactions: Durzel