Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV tax credit and EV charger credit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My cousin bought a qualified EV in 2022 and also installed an electric car charger for $2800(labor and material). His total tax due is 21k on 170k income and he said the only credit he is getting is the 7500 and not the 30% back on the ev charger. Seems like that zero’s out in your taxes when you get $7500 tax credit for the ev..which sucks!

He needs to file form 8911. Last year you could get 30% of all of these types of expenditures back as a tax credit.

the program has not gone away but the amount you get back has been reduced for 2023.

I used this for my credit in 2021 and my son installed a similar setup as the OP in 2022 and will a $3,000 tax credit.

and he doesn’t even own an EV (yet)

• Informative
Reactions: FlyF4
He needs to file form 8911. Last year you could get 30% of all of these types of expenditures back as a tax credit.

the program has not gone away but the amount you get back has been reduced for 2023.

I used this for my credit in 2021 and my son installed a similar setup as the OP in 2022 and will a $3,000 tax credit.

and he doesn’t even own an EV (yet)

If you claim ev credit and ev charger credit at the same time then you don’t get the up to 1000 credit. Seems like the ev charger credit is reduced to 0

I think the federal tax credit for the charger install has expired last year (please correct me if I am wrong).
I also believe there was a gap year for the EVSE in 2022, while solar still had a 26% rebate. Both went to 30% with the IRA, and potentially immediately.

Now I had my solar company both slightly expand my system and install the EVSE module to my solar inverter on the same job, so I'm going to just list it and play dumb. But I'm about 75% confident the EVSE was not in scope in May of last year.

If you claim ev credit and ev charger credit at the same time then you don’t get the up to 1000 credit. Seems like the ev charger credit is reduced to 0
Its unclear why you are posting incorrect information. Have you spoken to your tax consultant yet? IRA has renewed the EV charger credit. You just need to file a separate form IRS 8911 to claim that. Please check with your tax advisor. And no it does not get eliminated if you are *also* applying for $7500 tax credit. That is a completely different form Form 8936 (Rev. January 2023).

Its unclear why you are posting incorrect information. Have you spoken to your tax consultant yet? IRA has renewed the EV charger credit. You just need to file a separate form IRS 8911 to claim that. Please check with your tax advisor. And no it does not get eliminated if you are *also* applying for $7500 tax credit. That is a completely different form Form 8936 (Rev. January 2023).

I am just reporting what I saw in the TurboTax forms he filed

Reactions: Spiegels
TurboTax sucks. I filed through them and got screwed out of an extra $5000 solar credit for the state of Hawai’i. I’m having to file an amendment to get the extra credit applied and also have the rest of the credit carry over to next year. TurboTax only does so much. For some reason their system doesn’t do well with multiple EV forms.

TurboTax sucks. I filed through them and got screwed out of an extra $5000 solar credit for the state of Hawai’i. I’m having to file an amendment to get the extra credit applied and also have the rest of the credit carry over to next year. TurboTax only does so much. For some reason their system doesn’t do well with multiple EV forms.
Interesting to know. Will share with my cousin

My cousin bought a qualified EV in 2022 and also installed an electric car charger for $2800(labor and material). His total tax due is 21k on 170k income and he said the only credit he is getting is the 7500 and not the 30% back on the ev charger. Seems like that zero’s out in your taxes when you get $7500 tax credit for the ev..which sucks!
If he installed the EV charger in 2022 and he files tax now (2022 year tax), the $7500 shouldn't apply since that's a Jan 1st, 2023...which will have to be 2023 year tax (file in 2024)...unless I am misunderstood something.

If he installed the EV charger in 2022 and he files tax now (2022 year tax), the $7500 shouldn't apply since that's a Jan 1st, 2023...which will have to be 2023 year tax (file in 2024)...unless I am misunderstood something.
He is a non Tesla buyer. Audi q4 which had the credit until 8/15/2022 was the one he was able to buy off dealer and claiming credit for and also installed charger at home

Im not sure (so I am going to ask)... but in effect, it sounds like you are saying the following:

=================

"I looked over my cousins shoulder at the computer screen as they filed their taxes using a tax program, saw the program take an action related to EV tax credits, and am now reporting what it did as Tax policy. These were not my own taxes, nor did I consult a tax professional to corroborate. I am reporting what TurboTax did on my cousins Taxes as Tax policy".

=================

Perhaps I am reading what you posted wrong, but thats what it reads like. Do I have what you are saying correct? I dont know the answer, but if I was concerned about this, I would consult a tax professional.