TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
  1. TMC is currently READ ONLY.
    Click here for more info.

EV Tax Credit - What are the odds it makes a comeback?

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by pdx_m3s, Jan 22, 2021.

1. pdx_m3s

pdx_m3s Active Member

With a new administration and congress, what are the odds that the EV tax credit makes a comeback?

We are looking to get a Model Y this year, but aren't in a huge rush. The EV credit would sure make our decision a little easier. It's not a cheap vehicle.

• Informative x 1
  2. strider

strider Active Member

I think it is a safe to assume that it will come back as the new admin will look to placate the Green New Deal folks while not really giving us a GND. Resetting the EV tax credit would be a small bone to throw. Though they may make it income dependent like California did.

• Like x 1
  3. dipper

dipper Member

Don't forget price restrictions too in the CA program.

4. glide

glide Active Member

The credit didn’t go away. It just no longer applies to Tesla.

Will it be coming back for Tesla? No f’ing way. Their current pricing takes the lack of a credit into account. Notice how they were lowering prices each time the credit halved?

The optics of subsidizing $50-100K vehicles for wealthy people means it is simply not happening.

• Like x 3
  5. nwdiver

nwdiver Well-Known Member

I hope so. They need to shift to a $10k point of sale credit. Raise the tax on fools fuel if they're worried about the defect. And a $10k flat credit would be progressive. 'Rich' people would get a 10% discount when they buy a $100k car... A $30k car would get a 30% discount.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  6. Altair7

Altair7 Member

Exactly so.

If you are committed, just buy the thing. If not, you are only virtue signaling with OPM (other peoples money).

• Disagree x 3
    • Like x 2
  7. pdx_m3s

pdx_m3s Active Member

100%. The current tool they are using (tax system) is not efficient if the goal is to get as many people in EVs as possible.

Tesla single handily created the current state of the EV market, accelerating its arrival. They should be able to take advantage of the same subsidies as everyone else. The cap system is counterproductive to transitioning the US fleet to EVs.

If they are going to use a vehicle delivery cap, it should be for the entire market as a whole, so it ratchets down across manufacturers evenly. Would incentivize manufacturers to get on board faster.

• Like x 3
  8. pdx_m3s

pdx_m3s Active Member

We’re certainly getting one. Just a matter of timing, as we have flexibility. A prudent buyer is wise to consider the potential for a future (effective) price cut. No need to be rude.

• Like x 3
  9. RaisinCain

RaisinCain New Member

Agreed. I’m not buying a Tesla to signal anything to anyone, and anyone who doesn’t look to minimize cost on any large purchase is being foolish, imho.

• Like x 2
  10. DanCar

DanCar Active Member

11. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Well-Known Member

I imagine that Feds will re-implement financial incentives to purchase EVs, while at the same time increasing the gas taxes (and indeed all energy)

12. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Well-Known Member

Not unusual for new buyers to hear what they want to hear.

13. DanCar

DanCar Active Member

14. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913

15. alexgr

alexgr Member

My crystal ball tells me it's not gonna happen. Biden's boys and girls will be very busy this year re-aligning power and money flows to where they were during typical administrations. If GM would be really interested in EV and had a big hairy hand in the new administration then new tax credits could happen, but I don't think GM is so much interested, they'd rather lobby against anything with good MPGs. Chrysler - even worse, and Ford enjoys the existing credits this year to try to get ahead with competition. My advise - don't rely on new tax credits happening this year at least.

• Like x 1