Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV TOU Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... and PV can be so cheap.

Rather simply, if the rate during sunshine hours is half the 4pm - 9pm rate, you only need to generate twice your peak rate consumption.
Since PV amortizes out to under 5 cents a kWh for most people the peak rate hours can work out to as cheap as 10 cents a kWh. The only real gotcha is if the utility limits your PV array size to match annual consumption.
Also, if you are an existing Solar user grandfathered into NEM 1.0, you cannot increase your PV system size by more than 10% or you loose NEM 1.0 and get the much less favorable NEM 2.0. This is a real issue for people wanting to expand after getting an EV.

Adding a Powerwall or two is another option. We can now easily cover 100% of the house's usage from 4-9pm and send all solar energy produced during that time to the grid for maximum credit.

• Informative
Reactions: jgd108
Also, if you are an existing Solar user grandfathered into NEM 1.0, you cannot increase your PV system size by more than 10% or you loose NEM 1.0 and get the much less favorable NEM 2.0. This is a real issue for people wanting to expand after getting an EV.
Sure, but even NEM 2.0 is OK if you oversize your system to cover peak hours. Just not quite the killer deal like before.

The people in a real bind who want EV are those unable to place PV at all or do not have the site to put more panels.
Is their community solar in San Diego ? If not, hopefully the up and coming law requiring PV for all new homes will extend community solar to older homes too.

Last edited:

Adding a Powerwall or two is another option. We can now easily cover 100% of the house's usage from 4-9pm and send all solar energy produced during that time to the grid for maximum credit.

The big difference that I see is that 2.0 customers don’t get the 20-year grandfathering into non-TOU rates. The other thing is non-bypassable charges, but looks pretty minor to me. Am I missing anything?

If I am reading the TOU tariff chart correctly a more accurate statement is that above 130% of baseline a surcharge of 20.4 cents a kWh is added to your consumption during that TOU period.

I looked at the TOU2-EV tariff chart

View attachment 305023

I think you are agreeing to a minimum 33 cents per kWh rate according to the bottom row in the table.

Note that chart shows the grandfathered rates. For five years after installing solar, you get to keep the old time periods, but you get these modified rates that significantly lower the value of solar by lowering the peak rate. If you’re not grandfathered, you get a much higher peak rate, but the hours are changed so little of your solar generation falls under it. Basically, they figured out how to screw solar customers whether or not they are grandfathered!

• Informative
Reactions: jgd108
The big difference that I see is that 2.0 customers don’t get the 20-year grandfathering into non-TOU rates. The other thing is non-bypassable charges, but looks pretty minor to me. Am I missing anything?
I looked into it further, and it looks like for SDG&E, the NBC's are about $0.02 per kWh, so it would only probably add about $300 per year to our bill.

I looked into it further, and it looks like for SDG&E, the NBC's are about $0.02 per kWh, so it would only probably add about $300 per year to our bill.

Yes, if you import 15,000 kWh from the grid. But you to pay a minimum bill whether you are on 1.0 or 2.0, anyway, which is about $10 per month. This minimum bill can absorb some of the NBCs. I recall there are some things that offset NBCs, too, like the California Climate Credit and Reduce Your Use Rewards, if I'm remembering correctly.

Thanks to the utilities and CPUC, electrical tariffs are insanely complicated! I wonder how many people at SDG&E truly understand this stuff?

If

500 kWh consumption off-peak
500 kWh consumption peak
1600 kWh generation all off-peak

off-peak rate: 25 cents a kWh
peak rate: 50 cents a kWh

What will your bill be excluding minimum daily charges and connection fees ?
I am not on time of use. Sdge takes all the power they send me and subtract all I send back and at end of year get a bill. Last year I overproduced by 330kwh. My bill including all fees was 47.00. I missed ev rebate by 15 days, otherwise would have had 150.00 credit.

Yes, if you import 15,000 kWh from the grid. But you to pay a minimum bill whether you are on 1.0 or 2.0, anyway, which is about $10 per month. This minimum bill can absorb some of the NBCs. I recall there are some things that offset NBCs, too, like the California Climate Credit and Reduce Your Use Rewards, if I'm remembering correctly.

Thanks to the utilities and CPUC, electrical tariffs are insanely complicated! I wonder how many people at SDG&E truly understand this stuff?
I did not realize the "minimum bill" offset the NBCs.

We're still MEM 1.0, and between the climate credit and the EV credit ($200 x 2 last year, this year will be x 3, but probably will not be $200 again) we have been $0 or less true up bill for several years now, even with the minimum monthly bill. We under produce by about 2-3000kWhs per year, but TOU peak credits vs super off peak charging really made a difference.

PG&E's base rate with those huge jumps to the next tier is why I plan on doing most of my charging via SuperCharger.

Not sure how long we'll be in this house (which is why we haven't pulled the plug on solar) plus someone is always working from home (so TOU would kill us). Far cheaper to just charge at $0.26/kW. What's extra annoying is if I just moved to the next city over, their rates are much more reasonable and I probably could charge from home.

I did not realize the "minimum bill" offset the NBCs.

I'm not sure if offset is the right word. But I think if your bill would be zero without minimums and NBCs, it would be $120 with minimums, and $300 (per your example) with minimums and NBCs. So the NBCs are only adding $180 to your bill. Of course, if your bill was more than zero before minimums and NBCs, the minimums would absorb less than $120 of the NBCs.

PG&E's base rate with those huge jumps to the next tier is why I plan on doing most of my charging via SuperCharger.

Not sure how long we'll be in this house plus someone is always working from home. Far cheaper to just charge at $0.26/kW. What's extra annoying is if I just moved to the next city over, their rates are much more reasonable and I probably could charge from home.

Telsa will cap your charge rate after a certain number of fast charges, to prevent damage to your battery. So you might want to rethink this.

Telsa will cap your charge rate after a certain number of fast charges, to prevent damage to your battery. So you might want to rethink this.

Really? How do those people who use Teslas as taxis handle it? Is it a Model 3 only thing?

They just slow it down, right? How slow? I'll likely only need to charge once a week, but I can space it out. There's a SC the same distance as the gas station I go to so it's remarkably convenient for me.

We 7.5 cents per Kilowatt in south Florida

Gah! Rub it in why dontcha?

Really? How do those people who use Teslas as taxis handle it? Is it a Model 3 only thing?

They just slow it down, right? How slow? I'll likely only need to charge once a week, but I can space it out. There's a SC the same distance as the gas station I go to so it's remarkably convenient for me.

Gah! Rub it in why dontcha?
I talked to a teslaloop driver supercharging his x. The car has 187,000 miles on it. He told me car gets charged to 90% 2-3 times daily. Original battery, very little range loss.

• Informative
Reactions: gambit48