TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

EV Trip Planner: Auto-routing through Superchargers

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Cliff Hannel, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Cliff Hannel

Cliff Hannel Member

#1 Cliff Hannel, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    All,
    We've added the ability to automatically break up a route to go through superchargers on EVTripPlanner
    You can enter your endpoints and click 'Route Through Superchargers' and it will attempt to get you from point A to B going through currently open superchargers.
    You can adjust the "max distance between superchargers" from the default for your car type.
    We've done some testing and it seems to work well, but we really need your feedback.
    Thanks,
    The EVTripPlanner team
    (NOTE: we haven't added European superchargers quite yet)

• Like x 1
  2. clintons

clintons Member

Routing through superchargers is a great feature. I am a fan. Thank you for all that you do!

3. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

Very nice. You should add a feature that tells you what rated range you should have when you leave a supercharger to get to your next destination.

4. swegman

swegman Member

Tried registering on EVtripPlanner to try it out. Got the email sent to me to verify my email address. However, every time I click on the click to confirm the email address, I get a HTTP error 404.

5. invisik

invisik Member

6. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

Beaver UT Supercharger is missing.

7. CalDreamin

CalDreamin Member

Fantastic! Thanks so much for doing this. :smile:

8. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

Next feature: Estimated time needed for charging to get to the next supercharger. ;)

P.S. - I donated 0.25 BTC to your Coinbase address.

9. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

This is great. I love the work you guys do. I wish it worked more seamlessly with the Tesla browser. Which is of course not necessarily your fault...

10. ahm

ahm Member

Wow! Thank you for all the hard work on this. It just keeps getting better.

11. Ssssly

Ssssly Member

#11 Ssssly, Apr 26, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
    Thanks for your work on this which is so valuable.

Below is the input you requested.

Suggest a summary tab with summary information of each leg of the trip. While it's nice to get the details of every turn, most would benefit from information by leg.

It also appears that there is no correlation between the origin and the distance to the first supercharger.
    Example, I ran a trip from SoPas to Santa Barbara to Monterey with a between charge range of 150 miles. This trip skipped Santa Ynez and Robobank which then required the route to turn west to get to Harris Ranch.

Again thanks for this great tool.

12. DrFlsGood

DrFlsGood Member

Great app, now waiting for my Tesla to REALLY use it. Thanks so much for your hard work. :smile:

13. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

This is very useful.
    I think there should be a UI / options change that says you want to stop at every supercharger. Or think of it this way I want to take a stretch break at a maximum of 1.5 hours.
    For example try: Chicago, IL to Detroit, MI.
    This gives me one SC stop.

You can play with "max distance between superchargers" to get this but there are some bugs there. If you try 77 it works but if you try 66, 1, or 0 it does not.

If I tried 70 then it took me on a long trip up to Saint Joseph MI.

Very cool overall. I'm just thinking if you step back and look at it from other questions/perspectives (ie. Or think of it this way I want to take a stretch break at a maximum of 1.5 hours.) you may come up with some less technical settings/options.

HTH

BTW they "Charge Here" button is very handy and can be used to help with the above. It wasn't clear if you went to various "missing from the orig directions"SC on the map and clicked the Charge Here in any order whether it would reorder your waypoints to these so you took the most direct path. Seems like this should be the default but could be an option (manually add SC w/Charge Here without auto-reorder).

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think you want your CSV download to include tags do you?

ie. "Keep left to continue on I-90 E, follow signs for Interstate 90 Skyway E/Indiana Toll Rd<div style="font-size:0.9em">Partial toll road</div><div style="font-size:0.9em">Entering Indiana</div>"

14. caddieo

caddieo Member

#14 caddieo, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
    I tried it out briefly just to get a feel but did not get a complete answer. Apparently the app maxes out at 10 superchargers, and the route I was considering needs 11-12.

15. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

This is a restriction with the google maps API. I had the same problem. Split your trip up into segments each with <=10 stops.

16. caddieo

caddieo Member

if indeed a restriction that I have to live with then your suggestion is appreciated.

17. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Great work. I tried putting in Boulder, CO to Moab, UT. The first solution had a single stop at Glenwood Springs, CO, but skipped Grand Junction. I tried reducing the max distance to 125 miles, and was very impressed that it added Grand Junction, but not Silverthorne. I assume this was because you assumed a 100% charge at the start. That is a good assumption at the beginning of a day, but not if I am charging now.

How about having the Supercharger taper curve in your software, a buffer requirement for rated miles (I like 25%), a fixed overhead for a stop (maybe 5 minutes), and the extra time to exit the highway to the Supercharger and return. With all of this, you could decide whether or not to stop at a Supercharger based on minimizing total time. This would be way more interesting than a simple max distance.

18. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

You forgot to suggest to add in the current temperatures, wind and rain conditions along the road (including using forecasts along the way, prorated by expected drive time) as well as Google traffic alerts.
    I mean, why stop half way, right?
    :)

19. dbullard

dbullard Member

Exactly what was needed for my drive to TMC in July!

Thanks!

20. Hometheatremaven

I used the "Route Through Superchargers" button to go from La Jolla to Los Gatos CA in my S85, but it took me way out of my way, over to the Central Coast instead of up I-5. That would take me hours out of my way. I think you have more work to do. But thanks for all your efforts.