Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV trip planner question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I am playing around with EV trip planner and have a basic question about what the "steps" column means.

As I plan a trip here is part of the output:

((((seems cut and paste does not work))))))

Is this implying that I should be stopping and charging for 38 minutes at the Hawthorne location?
This supercharger is only 29 miles from my home and there is only another 55 miles to the next scheduled super charger.

Is it saying that I "need" a 38 minute charge after a 29 mile drive and the next SC is only 55 miles away?

I told EV trip planner the trip was from 92649 (Huntington Beach Ca) to Paso Robles, Ca. 85D with 19" tires, speed multiplier of 1.0, 72 degree cabin temp, 85 outside temp, payload of 275 pounds.

At this point, I am really just trying to understand the output.....i.e. the program thinks I need to stay for 38 minutes at Hawthorne??

Thanks

Mike

So I am playing around with EV trip planner and have a basic question about what the "steps" column means.

As I plan a trip here is part of the output:

((((seems cut and paste does not work))))))

Is this implying that I should be stopping and charging for 38 minutes at the Hawthorne location?
This supercharger is only 29 miles from my home and there is only another 55 miles to the next scheduled super charger.

Is it saying that I "need" a 38 minute charge after a 29 mile drive and the next SC is only 55 miles away?

I told EV trip planner the trip was from 92649 (Huntington Beach Ca) to Paso Robles, Ca. 85D with 19" tires, speed multiplier of 1.0, 72 degree cabin temp, 85 outside temp, payload of 275 pounds.

At this point, I am really just trying to understand the output.....i.e. the program thinks I need to stay for 38 minutes at Hawthorne??

Thanks

Mike

I've never taken a trip with EV Trip Planner involving Super Chargers, so I had no idea, but I plugged in your information, so I could take a look.

It appears the numbers in green, at the Super Charger locations, are just the segment totals to that point, from either the beginning of the trip, or from the last Super Charger.

Steps are like the turn-by turn directions.
When you put in your start and end points, EVTP came up with the Los Angeles, Oxnard and Atascadero way points (for me whether I chose either the route direct or through superchargers option). Those way points are now what appear as highlights on the Steps tab and it's merely the subtotal of all the turn-by-turn instructions prior, with an overall trip total as the last row.
So, in my output, it says that it'll take you 38 minutes to get to Hawthorne, an hour 11 minutes to get to Oxnard and another 2 hours 21 minutes to get to Atascadero, with 17 minutes after that to arrive at your destination.
Charging time is not part of the feedback since it doesn't know your state of charge on arrival and whether you're getting the full charge rate or the shared rate by plugging into a B charger with the A already occupied. It's up to you to determine when you have enough to move on to the next destination.
If you were to pick a destination that exceeded the distance/travel parameters, the subtotal highlight would be red instead of green.
And if you wanted, you could download it all (the Steps tab) to a spreadsheet or something else if you wanted a hard copy for reference during the trip. That's on the left side, in the middle of the screen, Download Route CSV (comma separated values).
Details tab gives you much of the same info as the Steps tab but more info like elevation changes, battery usage and Wh/mi.
It's a fun tool. You can even create a route by selecting individual superchargers; reordering the stops is just a drag and drop exercise.
Remember that if you like it, feel free to make a contribution to the designer's college fund (link on the top of the page).
Hope you find it useful.

We just did paso from mission Viejo. Just delete Hawthorne from ev trip planner route. Left home with range charge. Go to Ventura, charge enough to get to buellton, and than charge enough to get to Atascadero. Very easy trip. We waited the longest at Ventura.
To me, don't skip chargers, except Hawthorne. As it makes the charge items less and trip go quicker. We normally charge for 20-30 miles extra from evtripplanner numbers.
Watch out for cops!!

Once you delete Hawthorne supercharger, just select the route direct button, to give you the numbers to use with the other superchargers.