TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

'EV Triumph' Needs More Perspective, Less Hype

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by Doug_G, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Design News - 'EV Triumph' Needs More Perspective, Less Hype

2. CapitalistOppressor

CapitalistOppressor Active Member

I don't necessarily agree with the conclusions of the study being cited in this article (mainly think they are too pessimistic), but the authors of both seem to be rooted in reality in a way you don't often see with many articles discussing EV's. For that matter, their predictions might even turn out to be true if GenIII doesn't pan out the way we hope, or if Tesla implodes for some reason.

And even if Tesla hits it out of the park, my basic assumption matches the premise of the study, ie that hybrids (from mild to PHEV) will constitute a much larger share of the market than pure electrics for at least the next decade.

3. DaveVa

DaveVa Sig Perf #236 VIN #484

I think this will all be determined by what happens in the battery space. I love my Model S, but when you can get twice the Model S range at half the Model S cost it will cross over the "no-brainer" threshhold for an every household scenerio.