Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV versus PHEV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Disagree. I think there are some better options.

For example: WHy would you NOT want an electric car with a gas backup? THis way, you can go as far as you want and not have to worry.

Well... added cost, weight and complexity of the ICE if you don't need it. If your goal is to drive all electric and you accomplish that goal 95% of the time with a limited 40 mile range, wouldn't a 250 mile range take care of 99+%? No one is saying EVs are for everyone. The Volt is a fine car and especially useful if it is your only car. For families with 2 cars and one person with a defined commute, one can easily be an EV.

Dozens of reasons covered here (a forum dedicated to a fully electric car company).

For me it's not wanting have all the disadvantages of a gasoline engine being dragged around till I need it. A larger range battery is a more simple solution.
After 50,000 miles with a 240 mile range battery I have "needed" to go further exactly four times. And those were in the days before there was any real J1772 options.

WHy would you NOT want an electric car with a gas backup? THis way, you can go as far as you want and not have to worry.

Good point. However, I'd rather give up the ICE (and its maintenance), and gain cargo space. I see little point in carrying around an ICE everywhere you go, draining battery, adding weight, spoiling the handling? We can both be right. Depends on our driving needs. For me, the extra ICE is of little use.

Last edited by a moderator:

For example: WHy would you NOT want an electric car with a gas backup? THis way, you can go as far as you want and not have to worry.
Because you're hauling around two powertrains, doubling the complexity and ways that things can go wrong.
Because neither the BMW nor the Cadillac are actually in production, so it's difficult to know what will actually reach the market, when.

Which isn't to say there aren't reasons on the other side: the Volt is an interesting balance, allowing nearly all driving for most people to be pure electric. But like any EREV, it adds range by adding substantially to the drivetrain complexity and greatly reducing internal storage space and passenger cabin space.

Gasoline costs
oil filter/fuel filter/fuel pump/other such ICE components
oil leaks
exhaust system
extra cost
extra weight
less cargo space
oil dependency

Unless you're an extreme road trip warrior, the question to me is why on earth would anyone want a gas backup?

The reason I'd want a PHEV over an EV is just to have the safety of knowing that I will NEVER be stranded in ANY scenario.

I love the handling of the tesla and i love everything about it, but having the anxiety of the battery may ruin it for me.

When the 40 kw battery can only go 100 miles and I drive 50 miles to school, it's goin gto be TOUGH.

Furthermore, what happens in 5 years when these batteries are MUCH MORE EFFICIENT - you're then stuck with it.

I would probably like to lease the car to avoid this issue, but so far, that hasn't come out yet.

HELP!

The reason I'd want a PHEV over an EV is just to have the safety of knowing that I will NEVER be stranded in ANY scenario.
People getting stranded in gas cars happens often enough. As gas prices go up AAA reports getting more calls from people stuck on the side of the road due to running out of gas.

Then there's also this: Bad Karma - it left me stranded!

So I'd be careful when stating absolutes, but at any rate PHEVs are a good transition technology.

Speaking as someone who has been stranded in a gas car, a PHEV isn't going to solve the "ANY" scenario requirement.

When the 40 kw battery can only go 100 miles and I drive 50 miles to school, it's goin gto be TOUGH.

In that case you need to either (a) find a way to charge at the other end, even if only 110V, or (b) get the next pack size up.

Furthermore, what happens in 5 years when these batteries are MUCH MORE EFFICIENT - you're then stuck with it.

Tesla is already talking about releasing an upgraded pack for the Roadster. Most likely the same thing will happen with the Model S.

Incidentally the pack is unlikely to get much more efficient, as it is already quite amazingly efficient and it's hard to improve much on near-perfection. What will happen is higher capacity at a lower cost.

You can still get stranded when a coolant hose springs a leak, your water pump fails, any one of the belts snap, the starter gets wet, your 12V battery gets drained, or a whole bunch of other complications involved with an ICE in the critical path.

Same can be said for a PHEV. If in 5 years batteries are much more efficient, then you are still stuck with a 5 year old PHEV (with an outdated ICE and an inefficient battery).

I have had my share of events where I was stranded using an ICE (gas) vehicle. I am sure we all have. I expect that an BEV will actually last longer and have less mechanical issues. Nowadays with mobile phones in every pocket having a mechanical or fuel releated issue is much less scary.

I have had my share of events where I was stranded using an ICE (gas) vehicle. I am sure we all have. I expect that an BEV will actually last longer and have less mechanical issues. Nowadays with mobile phones in every pocket having a mechanical or fuel releated issue is much less scary.

Whats the status of a lease option for the car?? Anyone know? I'd feel MUCH better if I was able to lease first