TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

EV vs ICEV durability/longevity

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Nuclear Fusion, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Nuclear Fusion

Anyone know a site that compares the longevity of an ICEV to an EV?
    I want to know specifically the percentage power & range retained after, say, 200,000 miles

2. strykeroz

strykeroz Member

I can't imagine that would be anything like a calculation that could be defined. Even the same year model of ICE will vary wildly in range and power output after a time, let alone across different models, engine configurations and manufacturers.

3. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

If your question is specifically about the Model 3, then this question can't be answered as the car isn't even available yet. If it's about EVs in general, then it doesn't belong here in the Model 3 subforum.

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

Not so many weeks ago the Telsa using limousine service 'Tesloop' reported 6% range loss after 200k miles. That is really impressive since the car is SuperCharged at least daily. It will take another couple of years before more than anecdotes are available.

5. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

I, for one, don't necessarily consider this valid because in my experience both AGE and number of cycles affect battery capacity. I'm only concerned with cars that are both old AND have many miles.

I guess we'll have to wait years to find out how the new 21700 Model 3 cells age.

• Like x 1
  6. McRat

McRat Active Member

Very few EVs are 5 years old, which would be 40,000 miles a year, about 3 times the average miles per year for private use cars.

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

Yep, although we do know in general how Li-x ages on the shelf while being cared for. Quite well

8. tga

tga Supporting Member

And especially hard to do with non-Tesla EV's with only an 85 mile range. An 85 mile one way commute (completely draining the battery) is 85*2*5*50=42,500/year.

Also, cars from 5 years ago are probably a bad proxy for the Model 3. Battery cell technology and cooling have radically changed in the last 5 years.
    IMHO, people way overestimage the "damage" from Supercharging. Over a complete charge session, the average rate is only 1C, with a peak less than 2C at the start before the taper. That's just not that much. Yes, in absolute terms, 120kW is a lot, but relative to the pack size, meh.

9. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

That is the point of the anecdote -- that SuperCharging was pretty darn uneventful.

I wonder though about the C rating in regards to the Tesla charging profile. What would be happening inside the battery e.g. at 120 kW when the nominal 60 kWh battery is half full ? Sorry for not asking a better crafted question.