Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Watch for Tesla, watchOS 2.0 app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Just released a new Apple Watch app. The difference with existing Tesla watch apps is that it doesn't try to shrink the official Tesla App, but extends it by taking advantage of the Watch format:
  • Complication support - monitor your charge state as easily as checking the time
  • Use the crown to set charge limit more easily than even on your phone
  • More WatchOS 2.0 support - Uses selectors/dials (vs clunky buttons of watchOS 1.0 apps) to adjust car settings.
  • Quickly check and change common items like lock/unlock, charge, climate, and panoramic roof states.
  • A relative bargain at $3.99

Download iPhone App

Security note:
No credentials are sent to servers other than Tesla's and then only the token returned from their server is retained on the iOS keychain.

Reactions: Alain13
My experience with temp reporting, even with the official app, is temp is not continually reported. You need to do something like turn on the climate control or wake the care up to get temps. I am assuming this app used the same API calls, so similar behavior.

Watch or phone app?
The phone app keeps crashing.

For the watch:
  • First screen seems stuck on "updating"
  • Second screen was showing SoC, but also says "updating..." and just threw up the message "error connecting to iPhone"
  • Third screen seems stuck on "updating"
The complication was showing just a squiggle (cannot describe it any other way", but is currently showing SoC properly--really love this feature BTW.

I tried deleting the app and reinstalling from the phone, but that did not seem to help. I also have Remote S installed--not sure if they might be stepping on each other somehow.

Is your Tesla set on "Always connected" under power settings? This shouldn't be necessary, but it helps performance by an order of magnitude.

It should not matter that Remote S is installed.

I'll keep digging. So far as I've been able to gather from the data I have from crash reporting services, there's some error condition (in terms of connecting to the car, authentication, etc.) that's inducing the crash. Of course, it shouldn't crash no matter what, but so far on my 6S, I've been unable to reproduce.

Glad the complication started showing up, as that is the marquis feature that really adds value to the watch form factor IMO.

The phone app keeps crashing.

For the watch:
  • First screen seems stuck on "updating"
  • Second screen was showing SoC, but also says "updating..." and just threw up the message "error connecting to iPhone"
  • Third screen seems stuck on "updating"
The complication was showing just a squiggle (cannot describe it any other way", but is currently showing SoC properly--really love this feature BTW.

I tried deleting the app and reinstalling from the phone, but that did not seem to help. I also have Remote S installed--not sure if they might be stepping on each other somehow.

Thx - appreciate the support. I'll check on the always connected setting later tonight. Quick question: if I delete the app, does it automatically delete the auth token, or does that stay around. I know with Remote S, sometime you have to flush the token by logging out of Remote S then logging out of the official app, then logging back in again. I ask because with the crashes, there is no way for me to log out of the app.

Ok, I believe I've identified the issue (unfortunately, I don't have a fleet of Teslas to report the specific problem :p) and a fix is in flight through the app store. Should take < 1 week.

Or, you can PM me with your e-mail and I can add you to the TestFlight setup to get pre-release builds.

FYI, there's a patent troll lurking about who's suing every company that's involved with creating a Watch app that controls your car. I lost thousands of dollars in legal fees and the patent troll was asking for tens of thousands of dollars in exchange for rights to use his patent.

I know with Remote S, sometime you have to flush the token by logging out of Remote S then logging out of the official app, then logging back in again.
You no longer have to do that ever since version 3.x. Remote S will manage the tokens for you.

FYI, there's a patent troll lurking about who's suing every company that's involved with creating a Watch app that controls your car. I lost thousands of dollars in legal fees and the patent troll was asking for tens of thousands of dollars in exchange for rights to use his patent.

You no longer have to do that ever since version 3.x. Remote S will manage the tokens for you.

Yeah, have been tracking that unfortunate news thread and have left some simple features out (unlock/start) as a result. Hope things turn out! Surprised none of the bigger fish have started a group/fund to oppose these trolls!

Does the app work in metric units?
Yes, it uses the GUI settings to display your info in the correct units. Currently the only value displayed that fits is the temperature; charge is displayed only as %.

I suggest waiting a few days for the next version to clear as there is currently a crash bug (as can be seen in some older posts) that affects a large % of users.