Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV2 charging station tax filing - proof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can't find an answer - for those who installed a home EV charging station we are eligible for a federal tax credit. TurboTax gives me the option to fill out info and just asks about description and cost. I don't see anywhere to upload proof of receipt or the like. Is this something we have to do? When searching most websites say to upload/retain proof of installation

Can't find an answer - for those who installed a home EV charging station we are eligible for a federal tax credit. TurboTax gives me the option to fill out info and just asks about description and cost. I don't see anywhere to upload proof of receipt or the like. Is this something we have to do? When searching most websites say to upload/retain proof of installation
I don’t think you need to upload anything just like you don’t upload your W2 or 1099. You keep the receipts in case you are audited.

Last edited:
Reactions: JonB65 and Hebert
Like essentially all tax credits and rebates, the IRS doesn’t want copies of your receipts and documentation unless you are selected for audit/verification.

File them away with a copy of your return and keep them for 7 years.

My accountant uses the professional version of Turbo Tax. He stays up to date on all the federal and NJ tax changes.
That is what i pay him for.
There is federal form 8811 for that

Doing your own taxes is kind of like those trying to do proper EV Charger installations.
I'm not a tax person, nor am I an electrician.
Just happily retired and waiting for my M Y

Like essentially all tax credits and rebates, the IRS doesn’t want copies of your receipts and documentation unless you are selected for audit/verification.

File them away with a copy of your return and keep them for 7 years.
7 years or 6 or 3 or 2 or indefinitely. Clear?