Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV6 GT gets track mode out of the box and yet the Y still doesn't....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EV6 is a compact crossover SUV package, it's got a tall hip point and a long roof and a long wheelbase and the weight to go with it, and there are not many people tracking crossover SUV's with any regularity. Tastes change but physics (and more importantly, the economics of replacing enormous tires and brakes) don't and an extra 500-1000lb matters a lot over the course of a weekend's wroth of tires and brakes, especially with the speeds modern cars are able to develop so effortlessly. But I get it's also nice to be able to do track day stuff in your daily (or just tell the car to quit holding you back) once in a while. Tesla's stability programs in general are super conservative with very little user customization except for track mode, so it's a real bummer that's not standard equipment on any "performance" model.

In any event, EV6 is a Model Y competitor, it just is, I don't make the rules. The Ioniq6 N with the GT's powertrain in it will be the droid from the Koreans for track stuff, IMO. And it'll be awesome.
It will be interesting to see if people actually purchase an EV6 GT instead of an MYP, almost seems like the people who would be purchasing an EV6 would be those who already had a Kia prior and the only Kia owners who looked for performance were Stinger owners.

Totally agree on Paper it seems an EV6GT is an MYP competitor. I just wonder if in the real world that will be the case. Styling is just so different from one to the other when you look at them in person.

Kia just missed the mark with the design in my bias opinion. When you look at what they are offering it seems like this is built for a demographic that would rather have a Stinger EV.

We recently got our Track Mode in the MYP, and the Kia EV6 GT reviews are starting to make the rounds on Youtube, so maybe this is a good time to resume this discussion?

A few of my thoughts on the EV6 GT based on the latest available information:

👍Around $63K maxed out. This is quite a bit less than I thought it would be, so definitely a plus. (at least at MSRP w/o dealer upcharges)

👍Seems to be getting 3.3~3.5s for real world 0~60MPH time. Legitimately faster than the MYP.

👎206 miles of EPA range. Even if the car overperforms this estimate, it probably can't be more than say 220 miles in the real world. This would be a deal breaker for me, not only because the range is pretty short to begin with, also because this would really limit actual track time before running out of battery.

👎Manual adjustment of front seats. I have like 6~7 driver profiles on my MYP just for seat memory position, ranging from track position to using a laptop to lying down. I'm shocked to find no power/memory seats in the EV6 GT. Seems like something that needs to be in the top of the line car even if it increases the MSRP.

I know these aren't sports cars, but I'd be curious to find out if the MYP with Track Mode adjustments would be a better handling car on the track. One video (Savagegeese) I saw have the EV6 drifting through every turn.

Also, are you guys happy with the MYP Track Mode? I love it! Even though I could only mess around with it in the snow for a while.

I know these aren't sports cars, but I'd be curious to find out if the MYP with Track Mode adjustments would be a better handling car on the track. One video (Savagegeese) I saw have the EV6 drifting through every turn.

Also, are you guys happy with the MYP Track Mode? I love it! Even though I could only mess around with it in the snow for a while.
To be fair, drifting is rarely the fastest way around a corner. It's fun though.

Reactions: 804son
We recently got our Track Mode in the MYP, and the Kia EV6 GT reviews are starting to make the rounds on Youtube, so maybe this is a good time to resume this discussion?

A few of my thoughts on the EV6 GT based on the latest available information:

👍Around $63K maxed out. This is quite a bit less than I thought it would be, so definitely a plus. (at least at MSRP w/o dealer upcharges)

👍Seems to be getting 3.3~3.5s for real world 0~60MPH time. Legitimately faster than the MYP.

👎206 miles of EPA range. Even if the car overperforms this estimate, it probably can't be more than say 220 miles in the real world. This would be a deal breaker for me, not only because the range is pretty short to begin with, also because this would really limit actual track time before running out of battery.

👎Manual adjustment of front seats. I have like 6~7 driver profiles on my MYP just for seat memory position, ranging from track position to using a laptop to lying down. I'm shocked to find no power/memory seats in the EV6 GT. Seems like something that needs to be in the top of the line car even if it increases the MSRP.

I was surprised that you can't do a standing burn out with track mode. If I take my MYP to the drag strip it would be nice to be able to run drag radials and be able to heat them up before a run... you do get some traction issues at a track doing a "test and tune" day since they don't spend a bunch of money on track preparation when it is not for an event.

Keith

It will be interesting to see if people actually purchase an EV6 GT instead of an MYP, almost seems like the people who would be purchasing an EV6 would be those who already had a Kia prior and the only Kia owners who looked for performance were Stinger owners.

Totally agree on Paper it seems an EV6GT is an MYP competitor. I just wonder if in the real world that will be the case. Styling is just so different from one to the other when you look at them in person.

Kia just missed the mark with the design in my bias opinion. When you look at what they are offering it seems like this is built for a demographic that would rather have a Stinger EV.
I bought the GT. The MYP was what I also considered. Ive never owned a Kia or Tesla, prior.

Reactions: voxel
Have there been any actual tests published on track mode in the MYP? I've searched high and low and haven't found any from reputable sites. Would love to see a side by side comparison on lap time improvments or maybe even 0-60 (which is likely negligible, but still would be interesting to see).

Have there been any actual tests published on track mode in the MYP? I've searched high and low and haven't found any from reputable sites. Would love to see a side by side comparison on lap time improvments or maybe even 0-60 (which is likely negligible, but still would be interesting to see).
The biggest advantage of track mode is the cooling which enables you to run more laps. Also, turning off the nannies is always helpful.

0-60 is unaffected and may hinder acceleration runs as the car is actively trying to cool down the battery vs warming them up which is optimal for drag.

The biggest advantage of track mode is the cooling which enables you to run more laps. Also, turning off the nannies is always helpful.

0-60 is unaffected and may hinder acceleration runs as the car is actively trying to cool down the battery vs warming them up which is optimal for drag.
For me the biggest advantage will be to do full rear bias of power and have fun in wet/snowy parking lots ;)