Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV6 GT gets track mode out of the box and yet the Y still doesn't....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I must be having a stroke - "that's for the GT-line trim" - so what doesn't the US site have exactly ?
So far the top of the line EV6 in the USA is the "GT-Line" trim. The "GT" trim discussed in this thread isn't listed as an available trim level on the Kia USA site yet (at least as far as I can tell). I assume information for the GT will be posted once they get to the 2023 model year.

I keep thinking of all the hype about the Porsche Taycan Turbo in 2019… right before the Plaid dropped in 2020.

As mentioned, the Y is in its third year of mass production, and these competitors are only just starting to match specs while barely moving a few models out the door. By the time those are in actual production, we will probably be looking at a refreshed 3/Y.

• Disagree
Reactions: nate704 and BMWY
I keep thinking of all the hype about the Porsche Taycan Turbo in 2019… right before the Plaid dropped in 2020.

As mentioned, the Y is in its third year of mass production, and these competitors are only just starting to match specs while barely moving a few models out the door. By the time those are in actual production, we will probably be looking at a refreshed 3/Y.

I hope Tesla follows the "Only the paranoid survive" model and keeps innovating on the Y.

Most previous competition only was in the low-end (Bolt, Leaf, etc) and high end (Taycan, Lucid, etc) but now there are serious competitors in the $60-70K range like the Lyriq, GV60, Ariya arriving in 2023. Tesla can fill the "new Camry/RAV4" role pretty well though.

Reactions: blinkme323
For those who are about to trade in their MYs for EV6s.

2022-Kia-EV6-213-1.jpg

2022-Kia-EV6-206.jpg

2022-Kia-EV6-112.jpg

2022-Kia-EV6-97.jpg

2022-Kia-EV6-25.jpg

2022-Kia-EV6-29-1.jpg
Looks great

Remember when Tesla used to put out meaningful updates? Would be nice if they unlocked some performance or god forbid track mode.

Bad look for Tesla as this thing is obliterating the MYP.
1. Greatly reducing Phantom Braking (I have not experienced any past 8k miles)
2. Suspension upgrade
3. OTA updates
4. Razen chip, 15V Lithium battery, parcel shelf, wiper heater, CCS1 compatibility, etc

LOL. go look at the sales/delivery numbers and reservation number and report back. LOL I much are you getting paid? :cool:

Reactions: cusetownusa
Unless I misread, sounds like similar specs, less range, and similar price. For a three year old car, sounds like the Y is still holding pretty strong. No industry ever stands still, competition is always moving forward.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: z335is
OK, so I read the C&D article. A few questions and observations came to mind:

-Can the GT Button be "locked" so the car is always in GT mode? I'd hate to have to push it every time I drive to access the full power.
-Drift mode doesn't appear to be directly comparable to the M3P Track Mode. Seems like just some sort of traction control defeat. Need more details.
-The 263 Mile range is WLPT. Isn't that like something in the 220s for EPA range? I know Tesla's range is inflated, but the MYP should still have noticeably better range if this is the case.
-C&D article clearly states that they haven't done any instrumented tests on this car, yet they have a detailed specifications sheet with performance test numbers at the end of the article. What's up with that?

Anyway, I don't doubt that the EV6-GT is a great performer and probably outperforms the MYP in many regards. But after reading that article I do not feel any urge to ditch my MYP for it. Hopefully the EV6-GT would be the tool we need to finally unlock the damn Track Mode in the MYP though.
Based on your post, I am assuming:

1. EV6 does not always have the GT power (only when you press the button). It sounds more like Mach E 5 second only power type.
2. "Drift Mode" sounds more like gimmick than actual useful feature. All the "Drift Mode" legacy auto makers came up with their ICE cars has been nothing more than a gimmick.
3. Until Kia delivers more than a handful of EV6 to the actual customers, people can only get biased/paid reviews from the companies like C&D, Edmunds, CR, etc.
I really hope to read actual owners stories on EV6 forums, so that we can compare Tesla cars with EV6 or others. For now, we are comparing Tesla cars with biased reviews from those companies, and I don't think it is fair.

Haha, possibly. Just frustrating that Tesla has turned a blind eye to any meaningful improvements.
Still, we seem to have forgotten how—despite watching Tesla do this only ~5 years ago—there is a HUGE difference between “look at this sweet new car we are going to start delivering next year that will crush the competition”…………and millions (or even hundreds of thousands) of actual happy customers.

So is it fair to say that the 2170 is tapped out at this point? It may be naive, but I find it hard to believe that Tesla would see competitors like this and just sit quietly.
There is no reason for Tesla to go above and beyond the competition. All car makers do that. No one knows if 2170 is tapped out or software locked, so it is not safe to assume that.