Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV6 GT gets track mode out of the box and yet the Y still doesn't....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How fast do you really need to go?

Since they are selling every car they make it does not matter much but what Tesla really needs to do is start offering more upscale features that they have in their S/X models to the 3/Y models and perhaps come up another label. I dont care about any of the performance upgrades and I don't want to spend another 40K for the S/X cars. The S is too low for me and the X is too big for me. The Y is great so lets create an executive level model and add:

• Ventilated seats
  • More color options
  • Carplay/Android Auto
  • Adjustable suspension
  • Kick to open trunk/frunk
  • Nicer interior features and lighting
Here is my list:

1. Tri Motor MYP
2. Ventilated seats
3. Adjustable suspension

The first rule of business is to never ignore the competition.
Okay we're wandering pretty far off the reservation here into economics but actually the first rule of business is to create demand for your product/service. After you've done that, keeping abreast of the competition is healthy to some degree but hyperfocus on what everyone else is doing starts creating a lot of problems for many companies after they bootstrap and take flight. Tesla doesn't need to worry about the EV6 at this point IMO, but that's the great thing about opinions, everyone is entitled to their own.

Since they are selling every car they make it does not matter much but what Tesla really needs to do is start offering more upscale features that they have in their S/X models to the 3/Y models and perhaps come up another label. I dont care about any of the performance upgrades and I don't want to spend another 40K for the S/X cars. The S is too low for me and the X is too big for me. The Y is great so lets create an executive level model and add:

• Ventilated seats
  • More color options
  • Carplay/Android Auto
  • Adjustable suspension
There's certainly an interesting tension between simplicity of the option menu (keeps costs lower / production simpler) and what competitors are offering at similar or lower price points. The competition, even with better fit/finish and options packages, have not proven capable of producing in any meaningful quantity (let's leave the Chinese market BEV's aside), nor are their "powertrains" (battery/motors/cooling/et al) nearly as well sorted as Tesla.

Given the choice between these tensions, I'd still pick a Y every day over the alternative, and that's leaving the scummy dealer mess as an adjunct concern that doesn't factor directly into the actual vehicle value prop equation.

Every FUD and biased review companies taking points are something like:

"Hyundai/Kia is taking over Tesla's number 1 spot", "GM leads the entire electrification", "Biggest threats to Tesla"......

The reality is that their sales numbers are negligible and not even close to the "attention required" level.

However, it doesn't mean that Tesla is not doing anything. They are the most innovative company and spend much more on R&D than any other legacy makers who spend way more money on the politicians and marketing.

While those legacy auto makers focus on EVs and competition, Tesla's focus is to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy. The EV business is just a part of their bigger business goal.

Reactions: Corndart
Every FUD and biased review companies taking points are something like:

"Hyundai/Kia is taking over Tesla's number 1 spot", "GM leads the entire electrification", "Biggest threats to Tesla"......

The reality is that their sales numbers are negligible and not even close to the "attention required" level.

However, it doesn't mean that Tesla is not doing anything. They are the most innovative company and spend much more on R&D than any other legacy makers who spend way more money on the politicians and marketing.

While those legacy auto makers focus on EVs and competition, Tesla's focus is to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy. The EV business is just a part of their bigger business goal.
Why should we as consumers care about sales numbers though? I don't work for Tesla so that's meaningless to me... I just want the best car possible and it seems like the EV6 has surpassed the MYP, not rocket science here.

Too many people in here are trying to obfuscate the main subject with sales numbers and other data points that have zero value to the consumer, intrinsic or otherwise.

Why should we as consumers care about sales numbers though? I don't work for Tesla so that's meaningless to me... I just want the best car possible and it seems like the EV6 has surpassed the MYP, not rocket science here.

Too many people in here are trying to obfuscate the main subject with sales numbers and other data points that have zero value to the consumer, intrinsic or otherwise.

Depends on your measurements for best car possible! Not everybody puts acceleration at the top. How do people break down the importance of MY vs P.
How many people are buying the P just to get it earlier? If people could get either MYLR or MYP today with no wait what would the ratio of sales be and would the MYP become much more of a niche sale?

I have looked at the EV6 many times and the lack of storage is a deal breaker. Not that I love the exterior design of Tesla.

Depends on your measurements for best car possible! Not everybody puts acceleration at the top. How do people break down the importance of MY vs P.
How many people are buying the P just to get it earlier? If people could get either MYLR or MYP today with no wait what would the ratio of sales be and would the MYP become much more of a niche sale?

I have looked at the EV6 many times and the lack of storage is a deal breaker. Not that I love the exterior design of Tesla.

The EV6 ride is very nice. It absorbs bumps much much better than the Model Y/3. I'd be wary of the performance version though as the suspension will need to be tuned much more aggressively to handle that much horsepower. Its closer to the Model Y than the 3 in terms of space and ride height. You don't have to fall in the car like you do a Model 3. There is also more storage in the EV6 vs. 3 but the Model Y takes the cake there. Of course the cooled seats in the Kia are INCREDIBLE. FAR Better than my friend's BMW and my prior Lexus by a country mile. I would have picked the Model Y over the EV6 but the price differential is currently pretty high...not even in the same category. All in, an AWD EV6 Wind has most of the features of the Model Y and can be had for $53k. If you take in tax credits, its less than $50k (hello of a deal).

To each their own.

Yeah, I can take an X3M to the track right out of the box, disable a lot of the driving aids, and have a way better driving experience. (Not to mention the BMW's seats would actually hold you in, too) The MYP is hindered by its own software on the track.
Buy a Plaid; Best of both worlds.. 😂🤣
The EV6 ride is very nice. It absorbs bumps much much better than the Model Y/3. I'd be wary of the performance version though as the suspension will need to be tuned much more aggressively to handle that much horsepower. Its closer to the Model Y than the 3 in terms of space and ride height. You don't have to fall in the car like you do a Model 3. There is also more storage in the EV6 vs. 3 but the Model Y takes the cake there. Of course the cooled seats in the Kia are INCREDIBLE. FAR Better than my friend's BMW and my prior Lexus by a country mile. I would have picked the Model Y over the EV6 but the price differential is currently pretty high...not even in the same category. All in, an AWD EV6 Wind has most of the features of the Model Y and can be had for $53k. If you take in tax credits, its less than $50k (hello of a deal).

To each their own.
5D4FA2D1-A279-4FB2-BE0F-7E9B5613FEAD.jpeg

LOL, if you are buying a car that literally has Performance in the name, then I think you might be concerned about performance. If you want to chat about the SR or LR, then that's a different story.

A lot of people buying the MYP are buying it just to get the car earlier than having to wait a full year. How many people are truly buying it for the P?
I sold my Standard Range Y to upgrade to the P. I was thinking about the LR but the wait was too long and the price difference between the LR and P wasn't that big. Also the performance of the P, wheels, and spoiler is what sold me.

• Ventilated seats
  • More color options
  • Carplay/Android Auto
  • Adjustable suspension

I agree with this. Some people don't want a big car but still want luxury features. They could just come out with a luxury package option one day. I'd be jealous of all the people with ventilated seats if they did though.

To each their own.

I bought mine for the Performance.
I bought mine to get it earlier and for the P. Not that I got bored of the LR, but the P drives so much better than our LR. Responsive speed and handling and the suspension is more of what I'm used to coming from BMWs. The LR while smooth on smooth roads was a kick in the ass when hitting bumps. The P takes that bump and you feel it but you come down from it easier than the LR in my opinion. If I want a smoother ride and more comfort, I just jump into the Telluride.

Reactions: Corndart
Really? Any proof to support that statement?