Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV6 GT gets track mode out of the box and yet the Y still doesn't....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious. How many MYP owners actually want to track their MYPs? I mean, you could track your MYP, or any reasonably safe car, on any given Saturday (also depends on what you mean by "tracking"). You don't need track mode to do it. I used to track my cars (by track, I mean an actual race track, setup for racing) and while I had a great time, I couldn't believe how expensive it was, especially tires (and given the weight of the MYP you will quickly go through very expensive tires). But what's the percentage of MYP owners who want Track Mode to actually track their cars? Three percent (maybe)? As a product manager, if I'm prioritizing features, and the possible upside of offering a Track Mode nets the company 3% more buyers of the product - AND I don't have a demand problem for my product where 3% makes a difference - I can tell you as a product manager I'd stack rank Track Mode towards the bottom of the backlog...
Think it would be more like .3 %. Which would be offset 50x by the warranty claims. “You gave us track mode the car breaking is your fault!” Can’t think of a bigger waste of time adding this feature.

Without track mode, the car will cut power pretty quickly. It cut power on my car on canyon runs on hot days pretty quickly. When I have track mode on, definitely can go longer and can monitor your heat levels on the car real time. Its a neat feature and I'm sure would actually serve Model Y Performance owners well. You don't have to go to the track to actually benefit from Track Mode.

Without track mode, the car will cut power pretty quickly. It cut power on my car on canyon runs on hot days pretty quickly. When I have track mode on, definitely can go longer and can monitor your heat levels on the car real time. Its a neat feature and I'm sure would actually serve Model Y Performance owners well. You don't have to go to the track to actually benefit from Track Mode.
Yeah, no doubt. But does it actually move the needle for people to buy the car? 🤔 I like what @Yelobird mentioned above. To that, I’d add the expense of developing it (software probably wouldn’t be bad considering M3 has it) and the cost (probably a lot) of testing it. Because Musk said it will happen, I believe it will… at some point. Maybe the EV6 GT will nudge it up the backlog. I’d say it’s a nice-to-have feature.

Just curious. How many MYP owners actually want to track their MYPs? I mean, you could track your MYP, or any reasonably safe car, on any given Saturday (also depends on what you mean by "tracking"). You don't need track mode to do it. I used to track my cars (by track, I mean an actual race track, setup for racing) and while I had a great time, I couldn't believe how expensive it was, especially tires (and given the weight of the MYP you will quickly go through very expensive tires). But what's the percentage of MYP owners who want Track Mode to actually track their cars? Three percent (maybe)? As a product manager, if I'm prioritizing features, and the possible upside of offering a Track Mode nets the company 3% more buyers of the product - AND I don't have a demand problem for my product where 3% makes a difference - I can tell you as a product manager I'd stack rank Track Mode towards the bottom of the backlog...

Honestly, I'm not sure why anyone would want to track a Tesla at all. The cars are heavy. That makes them brutal on tires & brakes compared to lighter cars. The motors aren't really as good as LSD for coming out of turns on accelation. But if I really wanted to track a Tesla, it would for sure by the M3 over the MY.

I took my MYP to a small (1.2 mile) local track twice this summer. It's not that I specifically wanted to track the MYP, but it's what I've got, and it's also the most capable car I've ever owned by a mile. I've never been on a track before and just found out this year about this opportunity to take a car to this track, so I went for it and had a blast. I'm a bit of a wussboy on the track so I didn't push the car anywhere hard enough to need the Track Mode, but it would have been fun to have it to play with, if for nothing other than the lap timer to check my lap times.

I would love to be able to do this with a Track Mode available some day (That's actually me in my car. Some photographer dude was there the last time I went to this track):
Untitled-1041.jpg

Although EV's have many attributes that lend themselves for being great short track/ sporting cars (i.e. room to create ideal suspension geometry, low center of gravity, AWD torque vectoring, very torquey) there is more to making a great track car than those things. Namely proper wheels, tires, brakes, suspension, & aero/ downforce to a certain extent.

These items can not be improved through programming alone, if at all.

Reactions: Jagular
Although EV's have many attributes that lend themselves for being great short track/ sporting cars (i.e. room to create ideal suspension geometry, low center of gravity, AWD torque vectoring, very torquey) there is more to making a great track car than those things. Namely proper wheels, tires, brakes, suspension, & aero/ downforce to a certain extent.

These items can not be improved through programming alone, if at all.
Yeah but the absolute bare minimum you need is Track Mode. Just can’t make a track car without it for Model Y/3.

Reactions: tm1v2
Yeah but the absolute bare minimum you need is Track Mode. Just can’t make a track car without it for Model Y/3.
Agreed with @Apprunner . When I try driving my M3P truly hard outside of Track Mode the nannies put a stop to it quick. You cannot power out of a corner exit properly, it car won't give much power at all until the steering is pointed straight. I assume MYP is the same. And it sometimes grabs a little brake mid-corner just from getting very close to the car's cornering limits, without otherwise exceeding them.

If you've never done a track day before I could see still having a great time for day 1. But once you have any experience, it would be super frustrating to try tracking these cars without Track Mode, or some other means to dial back the nannies.

(Now personally I feel like tracking a crossover is just weird, doesn't feel right at all, and I don't think the HPDE groups I used to run would've allowed it due to rollover risk. But it's a new era now, crossovers are everywhere, and MYP center-of-gravity is low so it should be safe enough.)

Not when the statement was made that Tesla spends "much more on R&D than any other legacy makers..." it's not. And for what it's worth, it's not a percentage of income. Tesla spends more R&D money per car sold than other auto manufacturers. The problem is, Tesla doesn't sell many cars compared to the big legacy automakers.

Sorry, there's just no way to flip the script here. If someone is going to make a bold claim, then be accurate. Dollars spent is dollars spent. The qualifer of per car sold wasn't included, so the statement is factually wrong.
Those weren't my words, I merely stated a way to normalize is use % R&D of budget.
Here is some data:
The Complete Toolbox For Investors | finbox.com

Volkswagen spends more % on R&D than Tesla.

Speeding increases the testosterone levels​

In a study published in the Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes journal in 2009, researchers compared the testosterone levels of a group of men driving a high-speed sports car with another group of men driving a normal sedan. These two groups were made to drive on two types of streets: one filled with women and another completely bereft of anything. The results showed that the men driving the sports car had higher levels of testosterone. A more interesting observation was that the presence of women didn’t actually impact their testosterone levels, but the type (i.e., speed) of the car did.

• Love
Reactions: Lindenwood
The difference though is that with other Tesla models there has been constant and relentless innovation and improvement to the models that was very noticeable to consumers.

Model 3 saw numerous performance and other improvements in just the first 24 months the model was available.

The rate of innovation seems to be tapering off, could be due to shrinking margins, Tesla coasting too much, etc.

At the end of the day the competition benefits all of us. If nobody pushes Tesla then they will just keep selling marginal iterations of the tech year after year, kind of like what Apple does now that the fire has gone out.
Spending 3-4 years fixing glaring flaws with the initial model run is sorta like innovation I suppose

• Funny
Reactions: Fourdoor
Agreed with @Apprunner . When I try driving my M3P truly hard outside of Track Mode the nannies put a stop to it quick. You cannot power out of a corner exit properly, it car won't give much power at all until the steering is pointed straight. I assume MYP is the same. And it sometimes grabs a little brake mid-corner just from getting very close to the car's cornering limits, without otherwise exceeding them.

If you've never done a track day before I could see still having a great time for day 1. But once you have any experience, it would be super frustrating to try tracking these cars without Track Mode, or some other means to dial back the nannies.

(Now personally I feel like tracking a crossover is just weird, doesn't feel right at all, and I don't think the HPDE groups I used to run would've allowed it due to rollover risk. But it's a new era now, crossovers are everywhere, and MYP center-of-gravity is low so it should be safe enough.)

I hear you :)

On the issue of it being strange to see crossovers on a track, 20 years ago (pre EVO and WRX STi) people thought you were nuts if you took a 4 door sedan to a track with the rare exception of some BMW guys, styles change and when styles change what goes to the track changes.

Keith

PS: My MYP is not the fastest / most capable car I have ever owned... but it is the car I own now. I still regret selling my 2005 EVO RS pushing 550 wheel HP.

Gotta Echo what a Few already have, but the EV6 is much more akind to the Model 3 than the Model Y.

I sure do wish Tesla would drop a Track Mode on the MYP though, would be fun, I miss my M3P for that very reason.

With everything said above, the Model Y is my Favorite Tesla and I have a Model X Plaid. I want a Tri Motor Model Y Performance+ - give me 2.6 second 0-60, more acceleration after 80 mph, and track mode. I would drop the X tomorrow.

It's unfortunate Kia dropped the Stinger, I thought they might move it over to an Electric Drivetrain and compete with performance EVs.

EV6 is a compact crossover SUV package, it's got a tall hip point and a long roof and a long wheelbase and the weight to go with it, and there are not many people tracking crossover SUV's with any regularity. Tastes change but physics (and more importantly, the economics of replacing enormous tires and brakes) don't and an extra 500-1000lb matters a lot over the course of a weekend's wroth of tires and brakes, especially with the speeds modern cars are able to develop so effortlessly. But I get it's also nice to be able to do track day stuff in your daily (or just tell the car to quit holding you back) once in a while. Tesla's stability programs in general are super conservative with very little user customization except for track mode, so it's a real bummer that's not standard equipment on any "performance" model.

In any event, EV6 is a Model Y competitor, it just is, I don't make the rules. The Ioniq6 N with the GT's powertrain in it will be the droid from the Koreans for track stuff, IMO. And it'll be awesome.

Last edited:
Reactions: Corndart