Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV6 to a Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good afternoon, everyone.

I ended up trading Ruby the EV6 for a Model Y last night. My 5 months with the EV6 was fantastic, and the mechanical bits were every bit as awesome as I hoped going in. Ultimately, it was the lousy CCS charging experience combined with software that seemed like an afterthought that drove me to making the switch. For anyone interested, here are a few thoughts I have between the two.

IMG_8333.jpegIMG_7391.jpegIMG_8163.jpeg

Driving

The driving experience between the two is very different. The aggressive looks of the EV6 belie its fantastic road manners and refinement. I think my EV6 was the quietest and best-riding car I've ever had, and was MUCH better than the Model 3 that I had for two years previously. Everything was tight, there were no unusual noises, and it was a joy on the highway. In comparison, the Y has a choppier ride, a bit more noise, and a strange booming resonance when I go over bumps at higher speed. It's not enough to be intrusive and much better than my '19 Model 3 was, but not to the level of the EV6.

Compared to the athletic EV6, I think the Model Y looks like a bloated fish. But the handling is the polar opposite with the aggressive steering ratio and smaller wheel. Despite its much larger size, the Model Y is 330 lbs lighter, and you can feel it. My AWD EV6 had the slick front axle disconnect that improved high-speed efficiency, but it came at the expense of a noticeable lag as the motor spun up deliver the power that my right foot was requesting. The Y is locked in at all times, and power comes on like a hammer. The standard Y calibration has a throttle tip-in that's somewhere between normal and Sport Mode on the EV6.

For overall performance, they're extremely close. I've seen drag races where the EV6 was right next to the Model Y up to about 60 MPH, and that's about my experience. The RWD EV6 isn't anything special for performance, but my AWD model felt like a rocketship. I think my '19 Standard Range 3 would walk it above 70 MPH though; the power dropoff at higher speeds was more pronounced. Below 60, it wasn't even close. Up until the Model Y, that EV6 was the fastest thing I've owned.

Interior and Storage

The Model Y really stands out for interior usability. It has a much larger cabin with over 75 cubic feet(2.12 cubic meters) compared to 52(1.47 cubic meters) for the EV6. The difference feels smaller because of how well laid out the EV6 is, but you can't beat the massive trunk well and frunk. Today was a good reminder of why I liked that frunk in the wintertime when I loaded almost half of a shopping cart's worth of cold groceries in the frunk to keep them chilled on the hour-long ride home. It's tough to beat that convenience.

The center console of the Y is closed off to deliver a cockpit-like feel, which isn't as usable as the big open tub underneath the rotary shifter in the EV6. The wireless charger is a better compared to the single unit under the driver's arm on the EV6. I never used it on my EV6 because of wired CarPlay, but that's a language that Tesla does not speak, so I'll be using it from now on. My Y came with the optional white interior, which looks great when it's clean. I'm concerned about keeping it that way, as I'm a bit neurotic about having a decent-looking car.

The EV6 is a lot more usable than the size difference would suggest. The overall passenger room seems about even between the two, but the rear passengers sit lower than the Y. The long cargo area is great. The first photo below is my EV6 swallowing 10 bags of topsoil with a rake and hose on top. My boys were comfortably in the back seat for the ride home, and there was no noticeable squatting with the added weight. I was impressed.

IMG_8498.jpegIMG_7341.jpegIMG_7339.jpegIMG_7195.jpeg

Infotainment/Navigation.

This is the one area that Tesla has the clear advantage. This shouldn't be news to anyone here. The physical controls of the EV6 great, but it didn't take long to get used to Tesla's system again despite the critical reviews. I hate the fact that Tesla does not support CarPlay, but Tesla's in-car system remains the best in the business despite some rearranging since I last left. The second-generation system in my Y with the Ryzen processor is noticeably snappier than the one in my last Tesla. And even the old Intel chip would leave Kia's UVO system in the dust.

I never had a problem with the speed of Kia's system, though, and I always enjoyed how many options we had within the various menus. But my early-build EV6 lacked preconditioning, and it's been made clear that this feature cannot be added within a simple OTA update. The EV6 doesn't have any kind of trip-planning function and doesn't give you a battery estimate of what will remain once you arrive. That's a major oversight for a company that's been making EVs for three years now, but I expect it will eventually be corrected with an OTA update at some point down the line. This shouldn't be a hard problem for Kia to solve.

IMG_7143.jpegIMG_7183.jpeg

To my ear, Tesla has a clear advantage with their sound system. I sat in the EV6 for the first time with high hopes for the 14-speaker Meridian system, but it was a big disappointment. It sounded better than most unbranded systems that I've had in the past, and better than the one in my Standard Range '19 Model 3, but that's as much as I'd give it. I believe this is a calibration issue more than a speaker quality one, so I hope there's some kind of improvement that gets released in the future. In comparison, the Model Y has deep, powerful bass and clear highs that are somewhat neutered when driven by Bluetooth audio. Seems to be better with direct streaming through Spotify, though. I switched to Apple Music when they came out with lossless a couple of years ago, so I hope to get the holiday update to compare the two soon.

Other stuff.

Tesla has long had the best mobile app in the business, and it's gotten even better since I sold my 3. The Kia app is functionally braindead in comparison. It's capable of remotely starting the HVAC, but you only have a limited degree of control. You can set the climate temp at the start, but you can't change it without stopping the system and adjusting the settings within the app. Once you send the command, you have to wait 5-20 seconds for the signal to be sent to the car and the app confirms the change. If you try and change anything before that, you get an "Error: Command in progress." For some silly reason, you can remotely enable the steering wheel heater with climate, but not the seats? It's really bizarre to slide into a warm cabin, grab a toasty wheel, and have a freezing ass.

Kia advertises their 800v system, and for very good reason. The EV6 is a charging hero, and I don't expect the Model Y will be able to beat it. This thing would hold 220 kW from 10-60%, which made it charge the 77 kWh battery to 80% in about 20 minutes. I did this repeatedly on a road trip over the summer. Of course, this isn't possible in the winter with the lack of preconditioning, but later-build EV6es had that fixed. The Electrify America network is every bit the dumpster fire you've heard about, but when they work, it's fast. This won't last forever, though. I was also impressed with how strong the regen is on the EV6. It's noticeably stronger at all speeds to the Model Y despite the Y weighing 300 lbs less. You can do some neat things with 800v because you don't need as much current to do the same amount of work.

IMG_8524.JPEG

To conclude, my time spent with the EV6 was mostly filled with great thoughts. I really got to love the refinement and outstanding fast-charging capability. My previous experience was with a '19 Tesla Model 3 with a PTC heater that wasn't capable of achieving its 240-mile rated range in sunny weather rolling down a hill. The EV6 never disappointed me for range, and I was impressed with how well it manages energy. I certainly wouldn't rule out another Kia EV in the future, and Tesla needs to step up their game if they expect to retain their longstanding primacy in the EV market. An EV6 with a Tesla-like software experience would have the Model Y pretty well dialed in.

IMG_8498.jpeg

Last edited:
Hahahaha. Cadillac fans have the exact same reality distortion field about the Lyriq. On those forums, everything a Tesla does well but is lacking on a Lyriq is stupid and nobody should want that anyway. Teslas are the worst EVs ever made and nobody should touch them.
I agree!

Personally, I don't see any appeal in the Lyriq. But that doesn't mean I can't also see the faults in Teslas.

I've always thought brand loyalty was a tool for the willfully blind to convince themselves that they're always right. That's a big reason why I posted a somewhat lengthy comparison thread. I think most cars on the market today serve a purpose, and nothing is perfect. I really liked the EV6, and would strongly consider another Kia EV in the future if they improve some of my gripes.

Hopefully not for a long time, though. I really like my Y and hope to keep it far longer than the EV6.

I've always thought brand loyalty was a tool for the willfully blind to convince themselves that they're always right. That's a big reason why I posted a somewhat lengthy comparison thread. I think most cars on the market today serve a purpose, and nothing is perfect. I really liked the EV6, and would strongly consider another Kia EV in the future if they improve some of my gripes.

Hopefully not for a long time, though. I really like my Y and hope to keep it far longer than the EV6.
I'm glad you're loving it man! I love some parts of mine as well, still just getting over some bitterness on the price drop, and disappointment in real range.

I am a big fan of Genesis as a brand and their quality (I've had a GV70 and GV80) but I don't think Hyundai/Kia/Genesis is quite there yet on the electric side, although the Ioniq 6 is SEXY and I will definitely test drive one.

Reactions: Happy Hippo

I really like my EV6 but its not fulfilling one of the purposes of why we bought the car which is road tripping. The CCS network just isn't reliable enough yet. Good thing Model Y rentals are cheap through Hertz 😁

Reactions: woolymammoth17
I really like my EV6 but its not fulfilling one of the purposes of why we bought the car which is road tripping. The CCS network just isn't reliable enough yet. Good thing Model Y rentals are cheap through Hertz 😁
I see so many horror stories about EA and other CCS chargers being down all the time and the working ones being full because so many are down. Has that been your experience as well?

I see so many horror stories about EA and other CCS chargers being down all the time and the working ones being full because so many are down. Has that been your experience as well?

I've only had a 50% reliability rate. Once, the entire station was down so I had to go searching for other chargers. I've road tripped my M3P quite a bit and never had an issue. I've had 3 charge points go wrong in 3.5 years of ownership with the Superchargers. I've had more charge points go wrong on 1 road trip with the EV6...pathetic.

• Informative
Where did I say I hate the car? LOL I can like the car and still criticize the parts that are bad.

You say you're interested in criticisms and critical observations, but the facts demonstrate otherwise.

The value I am adding here is: DO NOT buy this car if you think it's going to be a great long haul road trip car. Factually, it isn't. If you like to stop every 150 miles, great! That's awesome. But that does NOT mean it's objectively a good road trip car. Don't lead people astray.

Fans of Tesla seems to have a reality distortion field around them insulating them from facts and reality. Some parts of the car I like, some I don't.

FSD is useless junk. The range is 225-250 in ideal conditions, 200-225 in normal conditions, and 175 in the winter. These are just facts. There are other parts about the car that are good, but FSD and Range aren't.
read all my posts in this forum and tell me "facts demonstrate otherwise."

Neither the MY or EV6 are good candidates for a road trip. My 2023 MY is the worst road trip car I've ever owned. Can barely go 175 miles between 45 minute charges, and that's if you're going from 100% to 5%.
A: You must be driving 80+mph.
B: You must be charging to 100%

My road trip Supercharging stops average. about 20-25 minutes.

Neither the MY or EV6 are good candidates for a road trip. My 2023 MY is the worst road trip car I've ever owned. Can barely go 175 miles between 45 minute charges, and that's if you're going from 100% to 5%.
User Error? :cool:

2022 MYP with 21" Ubers here.

4 Adults with more than 200 lbs of cargo.

below 30 degree ambient temp during night driving on I-95 with no traffic at around 1:00 AM

Average speed 85-110 mph (yes, I did have 2-3 wingmans in our formation during the "flight" LOL

I made 185 miles from NYC to MD supercharger going from 90% to 7%.

Charged 25 mins from 7% to 85% while all of us taking bath room and snack/drink breaks.

It is the one of best long road trip car with lots of fun!

IMG_2512.jpeg

below 30 degree ambient temp during night driving on I-95 with no traffic at around 1:00 AM

Average speed 85-110 mph (yes, I did have 2-3 wingmans in our formation during the "flight" LOL

I made 185 miles from NYC to MD supercharger going from 90% to 7%.
This is actually pretty fantastic!

You got 74% of stated EPA range (251 miles = 303 miles * 83% battery consumption) versus your 185 miles.

According to Car and Driver's tests, just driving 75 MPH will but 24% from stated range. You came in very close to that in cold weather.

Well done.

Driving 70-75. Speed limit is 80 here.

Have to charge to 90%+ to make it to next supercharger.
Car and Driver measured 220 miles of range at 75 mph. 🤷‍♂️

Despite my driving most of the way across the country in cooler weather, I have yet to encounter a stretch of road where Superchargers are 90% apart.

Driving 70-75. Speed limit is 80 here.

[...]
Are not Tesla range estimates based on 60 mph? Though my own experience - with a Model 3 mind you - is that I get pretty much the advertised range even at 65-68 mph, which is a bit better than advertised. That is in moderate temperatures and on dry roads. Beyond 65-68 mph, range does start to go down fairly quickly. And cold temperatures - and to a lesser degree very warm temperatures - can cut into range noticably. But that is not exactly a secret to any reasonably informed buyer. None of this has prevented me from driving my Tesla, including doing road trips, with minimal inconvenience.

Would I like to have an EV with 400+ miles of actual range? Sure, why not. Have I actually needed that in the 2.5 years I have had my Telsa? No.

Are not Tesla range estimates based on 60 mph? Though my own experience - with a Model 3 mind you - is that I get pretty much the advertised range even at 65-68 mph, which is a bit better than advertised. That is in moderate temperatures and on dry roads. Beyond 65-68 mph, range does start to go down fairly quickly. And cold temperatures - and to a lesser degree very warm temperatures - can cut into range noticably. But that is not exactly a secret to any reasonably informed buyer. None of this has prevented me from driving my Tesla, including doing road trips, with minimal inconvenience.

Would I like to have an EV with 400+ miles of actual range? Sure, why not. Have I actually needed that in the 2.5 years I have had my Telsa? No.
What’s the stated range in Canada for your Model 3? I am not familiar with Canada’s range publication standard and how it relates to high and low speed driving bias. The US EPS protocol is heavily weighted toward slower slow-and-go driving which favors good regen performance.

Interesting. Thanks. I was not aware of that. Presumably the lower speeds in that testing would tend to increase the range. But, on the other hand, the stop and go aspect- or slow and go aspect - would tend to decrease range because you don't get back in regen the kinetic energy that you lose. So it is a bit of a wash. As for the Canadian testing system, I imagine that is similar to what the US does - I don't know, but can't imagine that we would depart fundamentally.