Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV6 to a Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good afternoon, everyone.

I ended up trading Ruby the EV6 for a Model Y last night. My 5 months with the EV6 was fantastic, and the mechanical bits were every bit as awesome as I hoped going in. Ultimately, it was the lousy CCS charging experience combined with software that seemed like an afterthought that drove me to making the switch. For anyone interested, here are a few thoughts I have between the two.

IMG_8333.jpegIMG_7391.jpegIMG_8163.jpeg

Driving

The driving experience between the two is very different. The aggressive looks of the EV6 belie its fantastic road manners and refinement. I think my EV6 was the quietest and best-riding car I've ever had, and was MUCH better than the Model 3 that I had for two years previously. Everything was tight, there were no unusual noises, and it was a joy on the highway. In comparison, the Y has a choppier ride, a bit more noise, and a strange booming resonance when I go over bumps at higher speed. It's not enough to be intrusive and much better than my '19 Model 3 was, but not to the level of the EV6.

Compared to the athletic EV6, I think the Model Y looks like a bloated fish. But the handling is the polar opposite with the aggressive steering ratio and smaller wheel. Despite its much larger size, the Model Y is 330 lbs lighter, and you can feel it. My AWD EV6 had the slick front axle disconnect that improved high-speed efficiency, but it came at the expense of a noticeable lag as the motor spun up deliver the power that my right foot was requesting. The Y is locked in at all times, and power comes on like a hammer. The standard Y calibration has a throttle tip-in that's somewhere between normal and Sport Mode on the EV6.

For overall performance, they're extremely close. I've seen drag races where the EV6 was right next to the Model Y up to about 60 MPH, and that's about my experience. The RWD EV6 isn't anything special for performance, but my AWD model felt like a rocketship. I think my '19 Standard Range 3 would walk it above 70 MPH though; the power dropoff at higher speeds was more pronounced. Below 60, it wasn't even close. Up until the Model Y, that EV6 was the fastest thing I've owned.

Interior and Storage

The Model Y really stands out for interior usability. It has a much larger cabin with over 75 cubic feet(2.12 cubic meters) compared to 52(1.47 cubic meters) for the EV6. The difference feels smaller because of how well laid out the EV6 is, but you can't beat the massive trunk well and frunk. Today was a good reminder of why I liked that frunk in the wintertime when I loaded almost half of a shopping cart's worth of cold groceries in the frunk to keep them chilled on the hour-long ride home. It's tough to beat that convenience.

The center console of the Y is closed off to deliver a cockpit-like feel, which isn't as usable as the big open tub underneath the rotary shifter in the EV6. The wireless charger is a better compared to the single unit under the driver's arm on the EV6. I never used it on my EV6 because of wired CarPlay, but that's a language that Tesla does not speak, so I'll be using it from now on. My Y came with the optional white interior, which looks great when it's clean. I'm concerned about keeping it that way, as I'm a bit neurotic about having a decent-looking car.

The EV6 is a lot more usable than the size difference would suggest. The overall passenger room seems about even between the two, but the rear passengers sit lower than the Y. The long cargo area is great. The first photo below is my EV6 swallowing 10 bags of topsoil with a rake and hose on top. My boys were comfortably in the back seat for the ride home, and there was no noticeable squatting with the added weight. I was impressed.

IMG_8498.jpegIMG_7341.jpegIMG_7339.jpegIMG_7195.jpeg

Infotainment/Navigation.

This is the one area that Tesla has the clear advantage. This shouldn't be news to anyone here. The physical controls of the EV6 great, but it didn't take long to get used to Tesla's system again despite the critical reviews. I hate the fact that Tesla does not support CarPlay, but Tesla's in-car system remains the best in the business despite some rearranging since I last left. The second-generation system in my Y with the Ryzen processor is noticeably snappier than the one in my last Tesla. And even the old Intel chip would leave Kia's UVO system in the dust.

I never had a problem with the speed of Kia's system, though, and I always enjoyed how many options we had within the various menus. But my early-build EV6 lacked preconditioning, and it's been made clear that this feature cannot be added within a simple OTA update. The EV6 doesn't have any kind of trip-planning function and doesn't give you a battery estimate of what will remain once you arrive. That's a major oversight for a company that's been making EVs for three years now, but I expect it will eventually be corrected with an OTA update at some point down the line. This shouldn't be a hard problem for Kia to solve.

IMG_7143.jpegIMG_7183.jpeg

To my ear, Tesla has a clear advantage with their sound system. I sat in the EV6 for the first time with high hopes for the 14-speaker Meridian system, but it was a big disappointment. It sounded better than most unbranded systems that I've had in the past, and better than the one in my Standard Range '19 Model 3, but that's as much as I'd give it. I believe this is a calibration issue more than a speaker quality one, so I hope there's some kind of improvement that gets released in the future. In comparison, the Model Y has deep, powerful bass and clear highs that are somewhat neutered when driven by Bluetooth audio. Seems to be better with direct streaming through Spotify, though. I switched to Apple Music when they came out with lossless a couple of years ago, so I hope to get the holiday update to compare the two soon.

Other stuff.

Tesla has long had the best mobile app in the business, and it's gotten even better since I sold my 3. The Kia app is functionally braindead in comparison. It's capable of remotely starting the HVAC, but you only have a limited degree of control. You can set the climate temp at the start, but you can't change it without stopping the system and adjusting the settings within the app. Once you send the command, you have to wait 5-20 seconds for the signal to be sent to the car and the app confirms the change. If you try and change anything before that, you get an "Error: Command in progress." For some silly reason, you can remotely enable the steering wheel heater with climate, but not the seats? It's really bizarre to slide into a warm cabin, grab a toasty wheel, and have a freezing ass.

Kia advertises their 800v system, and for very good reason. The EV6 is a charging hero, and I don't expect the Model Y will be able to beat it. This thing would hold 220 kW from 10-60%, which made it charge the 77 kWh battery to 80% in about 20 minutes. I did this repeatedly on a road trip over the summer. Of course, this isn't possible in the winter with the lack of preconditioning, but later-build EV6es had that fixed. The Electrify America network is every bit the dumpster fire you've heard about, but when they work, it's fast. This won't last forever, though. I was also impressed with how strong the regen is on the EV6. It's noticeably stronger at all speeds to the Model Y despite the Y weighing 300 lbs less. You can do some neat things with 800v because you don't need as much current to do the same amount of work.

IMG_8524.JPEG

To conclude, my time spent with the EV6 was mostly filled with great thoughts. I really got to love the refinement and outstanding fast-charging capability. My previous experience was with a '19 Tesla Model 3 with a PTC heater that wasn't capable of achieving its 240-mile rated range in sunny weather rolling down a hill. The EV6 never disappointed me for range, and I was impressed with how well it manages energy. I certainly wouldn't rule out another Kia EV in the future, and Tesla needs to step up their game if they expect to retain their longstanding primacy in the EV market. An EV6 with a Tesla-like software experience would have the Model Y pretty well dialed in.

IMG_8498.jpeg

Last edited:
Correction to my previous. I looked through my account, and it was only 283 miles on that leg. It still impressed the heck out of me.

View attachment 886579
Heck, you only used 33 kWh to drive that 283 miles due to the low speed. I always laugh at people who refuse to consider a different auto maker than Tesla due to them having "low range"... in the real world at highway speeds any Tesla will not get near it's EPA estimate, but many other manufactuers will meet or exceed their EPA estimate. When it comes to the range wars it is all about Tesla's marketing victory.

Keith

Correction to my previous. I looked through my account, and it was only 283 miles on that leg. It still impressed the heck out of me.

View attachment 886579
Am I reading this right?
34807 Wh / 283.35 miles = 123 Wh/mi. This is half what a Model Y uses on a good day. Even averaging 50 MPH, a big elevation drop, and a strong tailwind wouldn’t give 123 Wh/mi for a long trip in a Model Y. Something doesn't seem right here.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Ah, that's good to hear for recent MY owners that are cross shopping. It's also good to know that the competition are close. Can't wait to see what the next 4-5 years will be like.
That is exactly my thinking.
Am I reading this right?
34807 Wh / 283.35 miles = 123 Wh/mi. This is half what a Model Y uses on a good day. Even averaging 50 MPH, a big elevation drop, and a strong tailwind wouldn’t give 123 Wh/mi for a long trip in a Model Y. Something doesn't seem right here.

Aaaah crap...there's no way that's correct. I've heard some on the EV6 forum talking about how inaccurate some of those were, and I should have double-checked. I rolled into the Syracuse EA station at 2% after starting from 100% in Concord, NH.

I've been fascinated by the EV6's two-paddle regen and HUD, and would welcome your comments about both.

I completely forgot to mention those! The paddles were one of my favorite features.

The EV6 uses paddles behind the steering wheel to adjust the amount of regen. You can go from fully coasting at level 0 to full regen at level 3. And that regen is strong. I kept mine at Level 3, and it's noticeably stronger at every speed than the Model Y. Which is striking because the EV6 is ~300 lbs heavier than the Y. I couldn't believe that the machining marks on the rotors were still present after 10,000 miles.

The EV6 does not default to one-pedal drive mode, which frustrated me. You enter one-pedal mode, called i-Pedal, by pulling the left paddle past Level 3(see the photo below next to battery SOC on the bottom-left). The low-speed calibration isn't as good as Tesla's, but it's pretty good for the most part. I learned in the first week that i-Pedal mode kept the front motor locked in for some reason, which hurt efficiency at higher speeds. The difference wasn't huge, but it was enough to get me to stay in Level 3. In the normal drive modes, the front motor would unlock past about 30 MPH and stay that way until you commanded more power than the rear could deliver. It would also lock in whenever you pressed the brake pedal to provide even more regen.

The fact that i-Pedal kept the front motor locked in was yet another software frustration. The RWD models still had i-Pedal, so you clearly don't need that front motor for the feature to work. Heck, every RWD Tesla ever made does one-pedal driving. I think the Kia engineers were prioritizing driving feel over efficiency when they planned that out.

IMG_7181.jpegIMG_0918.jpeg

My Wind model didn't have the slick HUD, so I never got to play with it. I completely forgot to mention the V2L feature, which is something that I really hope comes to Tesla. Each EV6 comes with an adapter that fits into the J1772 plug in the back of the car, and provides a 120v or 240v plug, depending on country. It's capable of pushing a full 20A of power, and is activated by pushing the button on the adapter rather than going inside the car to turn it on. I used it once to power a refrigerator in the garage before sale, and my quick calculation suggested that I could run the fridge for a month on a full battery. I was also able to use it to power a Keurig coffeemaker in the back of the car on a road trip. One of the slickest features of any modern car, and it's a natural fit for an EV. There's also a 120v outlet under the rear seats that splits the same power output, but can't be used while using a DCFC for some reason.

IMG_7223.jpegIMG_0878.jpegIMG_0170.jpegIMG_0171.jpeg

This is probably the best EV comparison I've read between the two vehicles. Not only did you cover all the major points.. including charging experience, "autopilot" driving assistance in both vehicles, AND real-world range. But I personally loved the comments on the passenger & cargo room.. and bits about the infotainment system.

Seems both cars have pros & cons. But what it really comes down to is the Supercharger network is still unmatched.. at least in the US. I can confirm this.. as someone who just used EA's CCS chargers this morning to charge my Model Y. Out of the 10 stations, only 6 were showing as "available" in the app.. meaning 4 of them were not working. The first one I (station #7) tried that showed available.. worked for about 7mins.. added about 15% to my SoC and then just stopped working. Something about charging error. I unplugged, moved my car to another station (station #6), and fired up the EA app again and it still showed me as charging at the previous station (station #7)lol! I kept clicking the 'end session' button. Closed the app. But nope, still stuck on the previous charging session. Finally, I logged out of the app, closed the app, and opened it up again and it allowed me to start a new charging session on station #6.

I'm done defending EA. I'd done it for a year now as the experience has been mostly positive and ALWAYS FREE!! But they are rightfully deserving of all the shame. It is a flat-out gamble if an EA station is working or not.. even if the app says it is. And even if the charging session starts.. and the juice starts flowing.. Im still scared to leave my car as it has stopped for no reason. So now Im rushing to get out of Walmart.. because I got 10mins of grace time before they start charging me idle fees due to a charging error. Finally, the app is just painful to use. Way, way too many issues for a regular non-techy person. If Im having this much trouble and Im an early adopter who has worked 27+ years in IT.. I can only imagine someone's 60-year-old mom trying to figure all this stuff out.

I also 1000% agree on Tesla nailing the little things. The entire EV ownership with Tesla is as good as it gets. I don't care what EV you drive, how fancy it is, and even what self-driving it claims to do.. at the end of the day charging that EV is the only thing that's going to get it to go from point A to point B. And Tesla has laid out this experience better than anyone else. One of the things I noticed today was my Model Y informed me that it was warming the battery so that it could charge faster.. And the app also informed me once I got to 90% the charging speed would be reduced because the battery is pretty much full. Its these little things that I've spent hours reminding my wife about as she goes about in her ID.4.. and I just have never felt confident that she could take her car on a 500-mile road trip and not end up calling me at least once because something went wrong. Whereas I have zero doubt she could drive my Model Y standard range (with only 200 miles of real-world range) from coast-2-coast and never bother me.

I won't even bother commenting on Elon or Tesla's infamous customer service.. but what I will say is that when it comes to the actual product... Tesla's vehicles are unmatched by any EV competitor simply because they make owning & operating an EV as easy as any ICE vehicle. If you are a first-time EV buyer (who can afford it!!) you really should save yourself time & headaches.. and at least give a Tesla a try first.

That said, this review also points out just how good the EV6 is. If it wasn't for the lack of pre-conditioning or depending on EA CCS chargers.. it sounds like the OP would have kept the EV6. This is crazy considering how new KIA is to the EV game.. and just how quickly/easily they can put out a product that matches Tesla's best-selling, most popular vehicle. Telsa has no time to sit back & relax. Features like CarPlay, HUD, ventilated seats, better blindspot monitoring, front & rear cross-traffic alerts, a more comfortable suspension (i know.. i know 2023 models lol), V2L bi-directional charging, regen control, less road noise/squeaks/rattles, better build quality.. and a smoother operating Autopilot update WITH free lane changes are things that need to be added sooner.. rather than later. The clock is ticking and most EV owners won't have the financial ability to keep jumping ship like the OP.

Last edited:
I'm on my second Model Y and I promise this will be my last Tesla.

My first Model Y had a ton of issues with fit and finish, rattles, etc. It was a 2021 Standard Range that I ended up selling for a profit.

I thought my August 2022 build would be better but that is sadly not the case. There are more rattles than my 2021 version which is rather unfortunate. I'm not sure if I'm just unlucky or if rattles are this common with Tesla's. Either way I'll be trading in my Model Y in 2-3 years for a competitor that puts a bit more effort into build quality.

• Informative
Reactions: bobbyjae
Features like CarPlay, HUD, ventilated seats, better blindspot monitoring, front & rear cross-traffic alerts, a more comfortable suspension (i know.. i know 2023 models lol), V2L bi-directional charging, regen control, less road noise/squeaks/rattles, better build quality.. and a smoother operating Autopilot update WITH free lane changes are things that need to be added sooner.. rather than later. The clock is ticking and most EV owners won't have the financial ability to keep jumping ship like the OP.
Certainly Tesla competitors try to attract users by providing extra features, while providing inferior power train efficiency than Tesla.

But I can see an EV price war coming soon, which explaisn why Tesla is focussed in cost reductions such as removing features
(buttons, trun sign and gear stalks, pedal shifters, bumper sensors, .... up to single frame casting).

If you look at others markets, China is making big intrusions and cars such as the BYD Atto3 or Dolphin,
with their lower price compare to Tesla or other EVs, start to take over many markets.

I think the IRA (Inflation Reduction Act) was pushed to avoid this sudden invasion of Chinese EVs.

You can go from fully coasting

The Y needs a coast mode (unless it already has one I'm not aware of).

I really see better challengers coming out in the next 2 years which is exciting. More choices is always good and it will also keep Tesla on their toes. Tesla needs to work on their UI/UX... depending on voice to get around the shortcomings is like depending on Vision for their FSD. :)

Reactions: TomB985
The Y needs a coast mode (unless it already has one I'm not aware of).

I really see better challengers coming out in the next 2 years which is exciting. More choices is always good and it will also keep Tesla on their toes. Tesla needs to work on their UI/UX... depending on voice to get around the shortcomings is like depending on Vision for their FSD. :)
Why coast mode? The most efficient way would be to use regen to capture energy back into the battery.... However, you can use Sexy Buttons to set the regen to 0. It feels like it will never stop rolling along that way.

Certainly Tesla competitors try to attract users by providing extra features, while providing inferior power train efficiency than Tesla.

But I can see an EV price war coming soon, which explaisn why Tesla is focussed in cost reductions such as removing features
(buttons, trun sign and gear stalks, pedal shifters, bumper sensors, .... up to single frame casting).

If you look at others markets, China is making big intrusions and cars such as the BYD Atto3 or Dolphin,
with their lower price compare to Tesla or other EVs, start to take over many markets.

I think the IRA (Inflation Reduction Act) was pushed to avoid this sudden invasion of Chinese EVs.

I don't know that Tesla has a monopoly on powertrain efficiency. I don't know how frontal area compares, but the EV6 has a slightly worse drag coefficient and retains a 274 mile rating from a 77.4 kWh battery in AWD trim. I can't say for certain after only a couple hundred miles in the Y, but my initial impression is that it's a bit less efficient than the EV6. They both have heat pump HVAC systems, but the EV6 uses a permanent magnet front motor that spins down to a halt during most operating conditions. The weight savings of the Model Y may come from less sound insulation, but it's impossible to tell for sure.

I think the idea of an EV price war is accurate, though. I'm all here for it; we need more lower priced EVs, and I love being the benefactor of robust competition. There's zero chance the MachE, EV6, Ioniq5, or Taycan would exist as they are if it weren't for Tesla's influence. I've gotta believe that competition has pushed Tesla to innovate along with them.

ON edit: After writing this, I realized that I almost come off as preferring the EV6. I don't. I'm absolutely smitten with my Model Y and all of the ways it's easier for me to live with than the EV6. But you guys already know about that, and I think there's a bit of a misperception that their competitors are incompetent.

Why coast mode? The most efficient way would be to use regen to capture energy back into the battery.... However, you can use Sexy Buttons to set the regen to 0. It feels like it will never stop rolling along that way.
Is there a way to set regen to 0 on a Y?

Sometimes I want to take my foot off the pedal and keep going at the same speed.
Gear lever to N.
Does this work? Never tried it.

I haven't really played much with the cruise control as I don't take it for long trips... just like to coast like an ICE sometimes instead of feather mode on the pedal.

Is there a way to set regen to 0 on a Y?

Sometimes I want to take my foot off the pedal and keep going at the same speed.

Does this work? Never tried it.

I haven't really played much with the cruise control as I don't take it for long trips... just like to coast like an ICE sometimes instead of feather mode on the pedal.
I heard from folks that needed to burnish the brakes on their Y, that putting it in N does indeed work.

I don't know that Tesla has a monopoly on powertrain efficiency. I don't know how frontal area compares, but the EV6 has a slightly worse drag coefficient and retains a 274 mile rating from a 77.4 kWh battery in AWD trim. I can't say for certain after only a couple hundred miles in the Y, but my initial impression is that it's a bit less efficient than the EV6.
Bjorn did a 1000km challenge with the EV6 AWD and the Model Y LR. Even when he did the 1000km challenge with the Y in his winter test, the Y was more efficient than the EV6. In the summer test, the Y kicked the crap out of the EV6 in efficiency, granted the EV6 it was only 6-7 degrees C.

BjornRange.jpg

However, he tested the Ioniq 5 in the summer, and it wasn't any better:

ioniq5.jpg

Tesla competitors try to attract users by providing extra features, while providing inferior power train efficiency than Tesla.

But I can see an EV price war coming soon
I would only flip this around… These are all mostly tablestakes features the Kia (and others) have had for years. They are not there to attract Tesla buyers, they are there because they have always been there. Tesla omits a lot of key features that will cause buyers (like me) to scratch their heads.

I agree that a major competition is coming. Tesla has a massive efficiency advantage for now, but a few others show potential to catch up. Hyundai and GM are the leading emerging contenders, but not for a few more years at least.

Reactions: Fourdoor
Bjorn did a 1000km challenge with the EV6 AWD and the Model Y LR. Even when he did the 1000km challenge with the Y in his winter test, the Y was more efficient than the EV6. In the summer test, the Y kicked the crap out of the EV6 in efficiency, granted the EV6 it was only 6-7 degrees C.
Keep in mind that there are several dimensions to EV efficiency. This test largely distills down to aerodynamic and contact rolling resistance efficiency. The Ioniq 5 and EV6 are not very aerodynamic, so I would expect the much slipperier MY to crush it there. The other efficiency areas are regen and battery management. And this does not show that. Kia/Hyundai is behind there too, but not as much.

Has Bjorn got his hands on a Lyriq or Taycan yet? Both of those are extremely aerodynamic, and I would expect them to do very well.

Reactions: TomB985
I had an EV6 for a day (was able to return it and reverse the sale) and noted the same issues. Got a Niro EV after and it still had some of the same problems - no preconditioning, crappy app responsiveness, no software updates that do anything meaningful to the vehicle. Happy to be back in a Tesla, there's no going back once you've had a car that does everything (charging & software) right.

I had an EV6 for a day (was able to return it and reverse the sale) and noted the same issues. Got a Niro EV after and it still had some of the same problems - no preconditioning, crappy app responsiveness, no software updates that do anything meaningful to the vehicle. Happy to be back in a Tesla, there's no going back once you've had a car that does everything (charging & software) right.
How’d you wind up in a Niro after an EV6??!

That’s like buying an OG S60 after returning a P85.