Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Evacuating Hurricane Irma in a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we evacuated Tampa and went to New Orleans with our Model X. Here are my observations

The Good:
The Superchargers we needed were fully operational both when we left and when we returned with open stalls. This was not true of gas which was not available and had massive lines at the stations that had gas. Tesla was very helpful to let us know what superchargers were functioning and the new update on Nav regarding superchargers was great. Destination charger was also available at a hotel near ours and they let us park there which was awesome.

The Bad
Due to traffic, we had to drive in the middle of night. Location of superchargers along the route was problematic for a couple of reasons
a. No trash cans, open bathrooms, food, or windshield cleaners nearby which necessitated a stop at a gas station or another location anyway. During the day its great when the chargers are at a mall because you can shop or eat while supercharging. However, at night this doesn't work so well.
b. A couple of the locations had signs about security risk which was not overly reassuring when you are getting out to walk with your family. And the locations were not particularly well lit.In addition, these locations were not particularly close to the interstate.

In summary, I think the idea of co-locating the superchargers at nicer gas stations (wawa, busy bee, etc) near the interstate is a good idea. If these can also be close to retail/resturaunts that is walkable that is even better. The newest station is at a busy bee in Live Oak and it is the nicest gas station I have ever seen. Even had flat screen tvs in the bathrooms. Also, can't wait for Elon to get the charging rate even faster. Overall, we were glad we had a Tesla. Just thought we would share, not sure how to give feedback to Tesla on this.

You probably already have - we know that Tesla employees read TMC and sometimes react in their official personas when appropriate.

If you wanted to be more certain, I would email it to Tesla, either through the servicehelpNA account or through the message window in your MyTesla.

• Informative
Reactions: Tompilot
I evacuted from Sarasota using I-75 up to and pass Atlanta. Form there we headed to NE Alabama. I was very happy I had a Tesla. The traffic was horrible and any exit that had a gas station open had lines of cars, some times backed up out to the interstate. Never had a problem with the supercharges, although there were a lot of Teslas using them, there was always one or two slots open. We had to drive 18 hours before we could find a place to stay, arrived at 4 am. The autosteer was fantastic and allowed me to drive the 18 hours non-stop, stopping only for charging. We lucked out and there was an RV park next to the hotel we stayed in and they let me use their 50 amp chargers during our 5 day stay. Came back a different route. This time through Alabama using I-10 then I-75. Agree with the comment about the superchargers at Live Oak, Busy Bee. Great place to get a charge, place to eat, and clean my windows covered with bugs.

Will this still work a few years after Tesla has been churning out Model 3s much faster than it's been expanding the SC network? At some point in the future, I can envision long lines at the Superchargers during an evacuation.
The future evacuation problem I fear might be lessened by more commercial charging stations, but in my area, they price gouge so flagrantly that the electric "fuel" they sell is 2.5 times as expensive as gasoline. Replacing our system of gasoline distribution with that model is self-defeating. Moreover, it may never become widespread because so much recharging will be done at EV owners' homes, that there may well never be the need for any public charging system large enough to handle an emergency like a hurricane evacuation.
Something has to give in the next 10-20 years. I suspect it will, but getting there will probably be painful. I also suspect that things won't come into equilibrium until battery and charging technology has advanced enough to put 300 miles of range into a car in 10 minutes.
For now, though, it's good to hear stories like tropical1's!

Reactions: Kacey Green
Will this still work a few years after Tesla has been churning out Model 3s much faster than it's been expanding the SC network? At some point in the future, I can envision long lines at the Superchargers during an evacuation.
wait while I check out the crystal ball

in all seriousness, the introduction of so many more users of the SpC network could cause problems like you envision. Fortunately tesla is acting proactively by adding both SpC locations and expanding current locations. Hopefully a proper balance can be found and your fears will be unfounded.

Reactions: Kacey Green
it's good to hear Tesla owners talking about matters of (what we call) resiliency. Whether it's extra food, extra water, extra blankets, flashlights, amo, prescriptions, med supplies Etc ... whatever one might find important for a bug out kit - it's always a good thing when people are prepared, even if it's just so you can help your neighbors during times of crisis. having lived many years in Montana, it was more important to be prepared for icy road drivers off in the ditch and power outages then any other type of emergency. In So Cal the concern is earthquakes. One thing we gleaned from our Orange County amateur radio emergency group is that some locations publish maps showing the best roads to get around on, in the event of a major earthquake that's likely take down overpasses. we are fortunate most of our power lines are underground so in said event, there'll be less concern of live wires everywhere.
FEMA has some brochures that give folks good ideas for preparedness. Don't wait until it's too late.
Emergency Supply List | FEMA.gov

Thanks for confirming what I told my husband about the availability of SCs when the news reported that stations ran out of gas in Florida. (I'm in NC) I have a S 90 with a rated range of 300 miles. As long as I charged it before I left, I feel like I could drive out of the range of the worst areas before needing a charge. It sounds like my husband could spend as much time hunting for a gas station as I would need for 30 minutes charging.

Also, it may be just my area, but I see plenty of vacancies at chargers now and charging stations being added at a much higher rate than it sounds like some of you have. I've always had only 0-3 other Teslas at the stations in NC and SC. We have a charger under construction in Raleigh and two more on I40 going west of here. That makes four along a 150 mile stretch. (Raleigh, Burlington, Greensboro & Statesville.) You could wait until the next charger if one was too busy. I'm not worried about the overuse of too many cars...yet.

• Informative
Reactions: Sawyer8888
Nice to hear your reports. Wondered how that was for people.

And people shouldn't forget that Tesla intends to build out their own Supercharging stations with food, bathrooms, etc. My guess is this would happen in areas where the SpC are located with limited to no nearby services. Here on the west coast in my area the expansions of stalls in current locations has happened pretty quickly once started.

Nice to hear your reports. Wondered how that was for people.

And people shouldn't forget that Tesla intends to build out their own Supercharging stations with food, bathrooms, etc. My guess is this would happen in areas where the SpC are located with limited to no nearby services.
I can only think of two SpCs that I ever visited that were in isolated or desolate places, one is defuniak spring Fl and the other was perry Ok. St Augustine FL can seem desolate in off hours when the mall it is located in is closed down and the same can be said for mobile Al.
in my experience there is usually some places close by the SpCs where you can find a restroom and a bite to eat.

Thanks. I didn't evacuate from Stuart FL but was very concerned about taking the Tesla if I had to go. This is a bit reassuring.
Hey, GabeS. I'm a Model 3 reservation holder living just north of you in Port St Lucie. This will be my first Tesla and I was wondering if any other local Tesla owners get together. Would be fun to hang out. (And by local I mean specifically along the Treasure Coast.) Thanks.

I wonder if the energy consumed by a tesla in stopped traffic is less than a gasoline car in the same situation. Not sure how you would calculate that. What's the gas consumption of an ICE stopped in traffic and still running?

Far, far less. With HVAC off, I think folks have said the S/X idle at around 200W, just keeping the computers alive. Certainly my Volt used less than 400W.

By comparison, a typical ICE car at idle eats at least a quarter gallon per hour - something like 8 kW of chemical energy going up in smoke. That's why companies are turning to idle stop systems to buy back just a little more economy art traffic lights.

Reactions: spottyq
The future evacuation problem I fear might be lessened by more commercial charging stations, but in my area, they price gouge so flagrantly that the electric "fuel" they sell is 2.5 times as expensive as gasoline. Replacing our system of gasoline distribution with that model is self-defeating. Moreover, it may never become widespread because so much recharging will be done at EV owners' homes, that there may well never be the need for any public charging system large enough to handle an emergency like a hurricane evacuation.
Something has to give in the next 10-20 years. I suspect it will, but getting there will probably be painful. I also suspect that things won't come into equilibrium until battery and charging technology has advanced enough to put 300 miles of range into a car in 10 minutes.
For now, though, it's good to hear stories like tropical1's!

Interesting thing about electricity is that it's so widely distributed. Wouldn't be surprised in that situation to see people topping off at destination chargers, public L2 or even RV parks along the way to skip crowded superchargers.

Yeah it sucks but when the gas lines are hours long anyway it's not much worse than what you'd get with an ICE.

I am glad that you and your family are ok. A few balancing comments. Our travels have been mostly during the day for some of the reasons you mention. It doesn't sound like you left early in the morning to maximize safety. I prefer a charging location with things to do for 40 minutes (I.e. Shop, walk, eat) over a location where I can use the restroom at 2:00 in the morning. It is nice if you have both. I would be concerned at some of the locations late at night, but I don't feel safe at many gas stations late at night either. Again, glad you are ok.

Thanks for confirming what I told my husband about the availability of SCs when the news reported that stations ran out of gas in Florida. (I'm in NC) I have a S 90 with a rated range of 300 miles. As long as I charged it before I left, I feel like I could drive out of the range of the worst areas before needing a charge. It sounds like my husband could spend as much time hunting for a gas station as I would need for 30 minutes charging.

Also, it may be just my area, but I see plenty of vacancies at chargers now and charging stations being added at a much higher rate than it sounds like some of you have. I've always had only 0-3 other Teslas at the stations in NC and SC. We have a charger under construction in Raleigh and two more on I40 going west of here. That makes four along a 150 mile stretch. (Raleigh, Burlington, Greensboro & Statesville.) You could wait until the next charger if one was too busy. I'm not worried about the overuse of too many cars...yet.

Statesville has been in the planning stages for almost a year.....seems unlikely to be built any time soon. Also, Warsaw was shut down so folks looking to turnkey Triangle to Beach are out of luck for now. Wilmington is a terrific location (charged there today) but at night, would be deserted without services ...